Author Topic: Head wound and gulping....help please????  (Read 3308 times)

Offline Mitramonday

• Adult Cat
  • Percy
Re: Head wound and gulping....help please????
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2013, 08:51:35 AM »
Good to hear Percy has picked up.  Hoping you're back to full "attention quota" very soon.   :hug: :)

:thanks: one and all - and, interestingly, Sue P, I've certainly been getting more of his attention in bed at night - but during the day I think he's been 'sulking' about being kept in!!  I have allowed him out this morning, as we are on the last day of his abs and I think he is back to normal ('normal' for Percy, anyway!) and am just keeping my fingers and toes crossed that he keeps himself out of any more trouble....  :yes no:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2013, 07:58:30 AM »
Good to hear Percy has picked up.  Hoping you're back to full "attention quota" very soon.   :hug: :)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2013, 19:41:36 PM »
I am so glad to hear that Percy is on the mend  ;D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 22:43:17 PM »
Thats great news  ;D

Offline Mitramonday

• Adult Cat
  • Percy
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 16:26:47 PM »
 :thanks: to everyone for all your love & best wishes!!  Percy is indeed recovering well - temperature normal yesterday. So that I don't keep stressing him out twice a day, I have taken to crushing his tablets & hiding them in his food  :evillaugh: but I am going to keep him in for a few more days, until he is fully recovered and the abs have done the majority of their work.  He has also stopped being 'stubborn' about using his litter tray, and is definitely on his way back to his normal self - although steering clear of me rather more than usual  :( - but I know that will only be temporary!

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2013, 08:38:51 AM »
Hope Percy gets better soon.
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 06:50:23 AM »
Just popping by to say hope Percy has had a much more comfortable night and that today, wees  and poos will be back to normal too.    :hug: :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 16:42:08 PM »
Well done and that abcess must have been comin on a couple of days likely,

Hope that Percy feels miles better after abs..................convenia 2 week inj great for abcesses, more expensive than tabs but none of the hassle factor  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Mitramonday

• Adult Cat
  • Percy
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 16:37:54 PM »
No 'gulping' in evidence at all today  :sneaky: !!  But he has definitely been 'out of sorts' - hiding in my wardrobe and not being very trusting of me (nothing new after a visit to the vet  :innocent: ).  He's also holding on to his 'bodily functions' and refusing to use the litter tray (at the moment)....unless he's left me a present in my wardrobe  :sick: ........  :thanks: to you all for your support  :hug: :hug:  Back to the vet tomorrow to check his temperature has come down - I'll keep you posted.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 14:04:01 PM »
Poor Percy!  :hug:

Alfie is also bullied by a local cat who I suspect is the cause of the abscess he has had on his tail. It is so hard to see our furbabies abused, even if it is 'only' by another feline.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 12:57:55 PM »
 :) Really pleased Percy was checked over, I was worrying about him last night.  Sending hugs to Percy  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline KittyNic

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Sam, Codex, Jacob, Munchkin & Chutney too!
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 09:41:20 AM »
So glad you got him to the vets and seen to. Here's hoping Percy heals quickly and he's soon back to himself.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 09:36:42 AM »
God prompt action there Mitramonday.  Well done.   :hug: :hug:  Cat bites can cause really nasty wounds and abcesses and they fester very quickly.  Cat's mouths harbour a great many bacteria.

Percy will begin to feel a lot more comfortable now, and it will give him time to recover his compsoure. 

It's awful when other people's cats attack and bully other cats.   Usually it's because the bully cat isn't neutered (but not always - we knew a female neutered cat who would wop hell out of any other at she came across).

Sending Percy tons more love - he's still top cat in the Percy household.  ;) :Luv: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 09:21:16 AM »
glad you got him in, my old cat had a similar wound from a cat bite that went very nasty (I was on holiday and my mum was "caring" for him and competely ignored it)

Offline Mitramonday

• Adult Cat
  • Percy
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 09:20:10 AM »
Thank you everyone!  I did indeed take him down to the out of hours vet -  before I'd seen your replies!!  Something about reaching out to you was enough to get me to think straight :-: !!  Of course, once he was at the vet, he stopped doing the 'gulping' completely....but perhaps that was just the adrenaline acting as a painkiller?  The deciding factor was, in fact, realising that he also had a large lump next to the wound site which, to me, felt quite solid.  So, he was as good as gold with the vet and, after she'd shaved (yet more) fur away, she aspirated (?) the lump and got fluid out, so it was actually an abcess.  His temperature was slightly raised as well.  So, antibiotic and painkiller jabs, plus tablets to start tonight, and taking him down for a further check tomorrow.  He is very definitely not 'himself', but the gulping hasn't reappeared.  I'm keeping him in for a couple of days to give him a rest from the bully boy outside (who actually gave Percy an abcess on his tail a few weeks ago  :( )  Thank the Buddha that I have insurance.....£130 for the out of hours appointment, PLUS the jabs & medication?  OUCH!

Offline KittyNic

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Sam, Codex, Jacob, Munchkin & Chutney too!
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 07:36:59 AM »
Hopefully, you can get him booked into the vets today and get him checked over.

Let us know what they say.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 07:16:39 AM »

Hope that you've managed to get Percy checked, or if not then booked in today - ounds to me like he may be in considerable pain and those wounds need to be checked out.  If he's been attacked, the wounds may be infected very quickly.  Let us know how you get on, and sending our very best for Percy.   :hug: :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 01:34:11 AM »
Purring is not always a good sign and could be he is purring to comfort himself cos he is in pain.

i hope you have taken him to a vet cos head injuries can be serioius  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 23:20:19 PM »
Poor Percy, I would ring the out of hours vets asap and ask if you can take him, best to get it checked over  :hug:

eta: please let us know how things go.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 23:41:26 PM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Mitramonday

• Adult Cat
  • Percy
Head wound and gulping....help please????
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 23:16:16 PM »
Hi all!  I have just returned from a couple of days away and my beautiful percy is not quite so beautiful at the moment :(  He has a nasty wound (2 bites/scratches?)on the top of his head with a bald patch off at least 1 inch across that was quite gungy until I cleaned it with salt water. What is concerning me more is that he seems to be having some trouble swallowing and is gulping every f ew seconds/minute with his head shooting forward with the effort. He's purring away but it can't be very comfortable for him. There's no sign of external injury around his neck. Does anyone have any idea as to my next course of action? Thank you

Link to CatChat