Author Topic: Second vaccination  (Read 1351 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Second vaccination
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 17:01:47 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug:

Of course you have now had a flu jab too  :evillaugh:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 13:48:50 PM »
 Souffle, thank you so much for reply, i honestly think the needle didnt go in for some reason my hand was covered in it and so was his coat but then if the second one is just to boost the first vaccination then it should be fine.
Kay i guess they would say the same thing if some went in he should be fine. I just have to take her word for it :(
Thank you so much.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 13:26:11 PM »
if you're still worried Pav - and I can see why you don't really trust what the vet said - sounds like a case of 'well, she would say that, wouldn't she?' - you could try contacting the vaccine manufacturer direct, and see what they say - the name of the vaccine will be in Mr Jangles's vaccination record card, and Google should give you contact details

but only to set your mind at rest - I'm sure Souffle is right
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 13:21:17 PM »
The stuff that leaked out and he licked won't harm him or you so don't worry. It is inactive.
A vaccine stimulates the body to make antibodies to the harmful virus. The antibodies are made by recognising the outside 'coat' pattern of the virus so using a 'dead' virus by injecting it will make the body learn to recognise it and produce antibodies very speedily should it encounter the real thing. This means any live viruses are quickly killed off and the animal does not get the disease.
As he has already had one jab his body will already be primed so the second one just boosts up the response to full level. It does wear off which is why we need yearly boosters.
As long as some went in it will have had the effect so try and not worry about it. Get his booster done on time next year and he will be just fine. If the vet was happy he got enough then I'm sure he did :)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 13:22:37 PM by souffle »
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
Second vaccination
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 12:43:21 PM »
I took Mr Jingles for his second vaccination today but when the vet tried to do the injection it all leaked over him and my hand so she tried the rest and again all over my hand :( She said its fine he got enough inside him! I didnt want to risk another injection but i am not sure if he got any at all?
I want to know if he didnt get enough or any at all is it going to harm him once we have to do the annual one next year? Should i take him back in couple of months and do the whole thing all over or is that harmful? And he si now licking the stuff which leaked on his coat is that harmful?
I am so stressed now :(
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 12:44:29 PM by pappilon »

Link to CatChat