Author Topic: Drooling  (Read 1829 times)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
Re: Drooling
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 20:18:38 PM »
That is very good to hear Newliss  ;D

Offline Newlis

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 23:10:22 PM »
Almost forgot to update (again).  :innocent:

Late last night my cat vomited a bit; some of it was a hairball, there was also some grass but most significantly perhaps, there was a small dark brown object that looks and feels like the seed from a plant. It must have blown into the run (or been deposited by a bird) because we don't have any plants in or around the cat run. I have a feeling that could be the offending item because since vomiting that up she's returned to her normal bouncy self and has gotten her appetite back.  :)

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 16:35:45 PM »
Dexter had to have 2 teeth out recently, after his initial check the vet showed me one that needed extracting and asked if he had been drooling or off his food. I said I hadn't noticed.

Afterwards I did think he had been crying for treats, but not eating them all.

Keep an eye, but I think I would get a check up at the vets.
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Newlis

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 14:59:54 PM »
Just checked on her again and she seems a lot happier, purring and more vocal. And she seems to have stopped drooling.

I'll keep an eye on her and watch her carefully when she gets her next meal and see if she looks uncomfortable eating or walks off. That would be a pretty good indicator that one of the few teeth she has left is giving her grief. I really think the vet should have removed them all the last time she went in for her teeth. 

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 14:09:53 PM »
a piece of grass could well be stuck in her soft palate - I suspect you are going to have to get a vet to examine her
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 14:09:36 PM »
She may have dental problems .... my boy was drooling for a while and I took him to the vet and he need some teeth removed.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Newlis

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 14:02:04 PM »
Is the grass treated with anything?

Alternatively, she may have eaten an insect that disagreed with her? I know a cat ate a ladybird once and it frothed at the mouth but many years later is fine.

No, the grass isn't treated with anything.

I wonder if she has managed to cut the inside of her mouth with it or if she has an ulcer. I'll have to try get her under the light and have a good look. If the little madam will let me.  :innocent:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 13:58:01 PM »
Our Billy Whiz had a similar drooling problem a couple of years ago.  I never did get to the bottom of it altho a half broken tooth was a possibility.  I promised vet I would bring him back for a dental but the drooling eased and then stopped fully after a couple of days so I never did  :-[ :-[ :-[  Billy Whiz is however extremely difficult to handle.  He has lived with us for over 8 years now and we still cannot pick him up.

If it had been any of the other cats we would have whisked them off to vet toot sweet to investigate and gone ahead with any further dental work asap as we hate seeing any of them feeling down  :(

In your shoes I would make an app't with vet  :hug:  Fingers crossed it isn't anything serious.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 13:58:39 PM by Rosella moggy »

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Paws, Dopey, Chubby, Moses & Minty. All in a better place and never forgotten. We'll meet again and be happy together again.
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 13:43:08 PM »
Is the grass treated with anything?

Alternatively, she may have eaten an insect that disagreed with her? I know a cat ate a ladybird once and it frothed at the mouth but many years later is fine.

Offline Newlis

• Kitten
Drooling
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 12:35:56 PM »
Hello,

My cat is suddenly drooling quite excessively and looking rather miserable.

She was happy and bouncy literally 10 minutes before hand. She was chewing on some grass before she came in then she had something to eat, used the litter tray then was back off outside wanting to play (she is 16 yrs old and still acts like a kitten). I just went to fetch the bins in and when I came back, I found her sulking with lots of bubbly, saliva dripping out of her mouth.

Her diet hasn't changed recently and I'd like to hope she doesn't have a problem with her teeth because she had all but 4 of them removed 8 months ago and those that she has left are clean and healthy looking. She is mostly an indoor cat and we only have an outdoor run for the cats; we don't let them go walkabouts and there is nothing in their run except grass and a few dandelions so I don't think she could have gotten into anything she shouldn't have. Would the grass she ate possibly cause this? Or perhaps a slug if she was silly enough not to notice it and gobbled it?

Link to CatChat