Author Topic: Has My Cat Gone Bonkers?  (Read 1790 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: Has My Cat Gone Bonkers?
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 22:33:07 PM »
Oooh what a handsome hunk  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:  Love the name too  :) 

Best of luck with the blood tests.  HyperT can certainly present itself with increased appetite and vocalising and even aggression.  It can also adversely affect a cats coat but Neil's coat looks gorgeous in that pic.  You might want to ask vet to test for all the usuals (thyroid, kidneys, liver, diabetes .... ) at the same time?  Just a suggestion.  It can work out cheaper than having to go back for further tests and might help put your mind at rest if they all come up clear  :crossed:

If bloods are normal, are you aware of any new kits on the block that might be upsetting his territory perhaps?

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 20:52:42 PM »
He is such a handsome chap! I do hope that you soon find the cause of (and solution for) his change of behaviour.

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Paws, Dopey, Chubby, Moses & Minty. All in a better place and never forgotten. We'll meet again and be happy together again.
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 20:37:41 PM »
Neil is definitely a pretty boy  :wow:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 20:29:08 PM »
Neil is gorgeous and agree with what Sue has said, hope the tests provide the answer  :hug:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 18:49:23 PM »
 :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: he's gorgeous xxx
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 17:50:18 PM »

OOOooooh!   What beautiful eyes he has.  Yes, he really is a splendid cat.  :Luv:

Offline Rain

• Kitten
  • Neil
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 16:31:59 PM »
This is Neil...

Offline Rain

• Kitten
  • Neil
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 16:14:46 PM »
Thanks for the replies, Sue and Liz. We will take him to the vet again and see what he says. Meanwhile we will get him a tray.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 15:52:31 PM »
Sounds like Hyper Thyroid or Diabetes to me - I have 2 Hyper T and 1 Diabetic and also have one with Dementia which can be another cause of ramblings

A blood test should rule out any of the above so would suggest its done just to check - My Hyper T's are 13 and 15 and my diabetic is 16
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 12:28:00 PM »

Hi there Rain.

I dont think Neil is angry, or trying to get revenge.  Cats dont do that, in spite of what we sometimes think.  He's trying to communicate because something in his world isn't right any more, and he needs you to lend a hand.

I know you've indicated your vet has given Neil a clean bill of health, but to me, it seems he's exhibiting  signs of hyperthyroidism, which is quite a common condition in older cats.

Yowling is a well known side effect, as is eating more.  One of the effects of Hyper T is that cats never feel full, even when they're eating regularly.

Untreated Hyper T can also lead to kidney problems, and if he's feeling uncomfortable that can cause inappropriate toiletting (although bless him, at least he's using areas which can be relatively easily cleaned!)  :hug: :hug:   Does he have a litter box in the house?  If not, I would suggest it would be appropriate to provide one, or perhaps two (one upstairs and one downstairs) .  You might have to experiment with different types of litter until you find one that he likes.

Cats which are Hyper T often display more restlessness and "neediness" than they have previously done.  They want reassurance, and that may be why he's objecting to closed doors. 

We had Paddy until he was 20, and he first began to exhibit signs of Hyper T shortly after he had a stroke, when he was 15. 

Hyperthyroidism can be treated with medication (there are other options but they arent always viable - much depends on the individual cat).  I think I would suggest taking him back to the vet and discussing the symptoms that you're noticing, and they can test for hyperthyroidism.

Do you have any piccies of Neil?  I bet he's gorgeous! 

Offline Rain

• Kitten
  • Neil
Has My Cat Gone Bonkers?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 10:16:48 AM »
We have a problem with our cat, Neil. We rescued him in 2001 and he was an adult then so he is at least 15. He has always been an extremely well behaved cat. We moved house several times and he never had any problem adjusting to the new houses. We have been in this home for nine years now so he is well settled. He always went to the loo outside (through his flap) and was never any trouble.

Lately he has turned into some kind of cat-demon! First of all he rampages through the house at night yowling and rattling any doors that are shut. He pushes things off work surfaces and tables and won’t settle anywhere. He also demands to be fed every couple of hours. The last straw is that now he has started weeing in the house. He has done it the bath a few times and last night weed in the dustpan!

He was at the vet recently and the vet gave him a clean bill of health, apart from the recurring cat flu symptoms he gets from when he was a kitten before we had him.

It’s almost like he is very angry about something and is trying to tell us, but we don’t know what it is. Can anyone help?

Link to CatChat