Author Topic: Claw cutting?  (Read 3475 times)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
Re: Claw cutting?
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2013, 17:20:56 PM »
Alfie is quite clumsy too - I suspect it might improve if he was a little slimmer...

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2013, 22:45:53 PM »
Never had one get stuck to a wall yet though  :rofl:

I know, am sure he would have been fine, but I just happened to see him and he panicked a bit! Am sure Dexter is the worst cat in the world, if is so clumsy and has terrible balance bless him!

Mine are 3 now and go out a few hours a day and have never had to have their claws trimmed.
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2013, 15:55:49 PM »
I like to leave a few claws sharp.
All mine are outdoor/indoor cats so they need to be able to climb and grip when escaping from enemies - I feel if I clip all their claws at the same time they can lose their ability to escape, so I trim alternate claws one week and the rest the week after when the clipped ones have sharpened up again.

Yes, always keep an eye on dew claws as these often grow into the pad if unchecked, as they don't naturally abrade on the ground.  :shify:

Mostly outdoor cats will wear down their front claws and bite their back claws down themselves, so don't need clipping, but older cats or those with tooth problems cant do this and may need help. All indoor cats will need help with trimming and I too have had cats who got snagged on nylon carpets, net curtains, my tights! Never had one get stuck to a wall yet though  :rofl:

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 21:12:07 PM »
We've just had ours done, boosters for 2 of them last week, and the vet did them for us, Ollie had his neuteur and they gave his a little clip as well, mine only go out into the garden.

When Wordy goes for his jab, i will get his done. You could hear Charlies tapping on the wood floor.

Offline Ambersmum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 16:46:33 PM »
Maybe they do need a trim then - good luck!  :hug:

:thankyou:

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 16:17:30 PM »
Maybe they do need a trim then - good luck!  :hug:

Offline Ambersmum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 15:46:24 PM »
We've no wish for Amber to go out for her own safety.  You hear of too many cats round here being shot, run over and the like :(

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 12:19:28 PM »
All my gang go out and I have always trimmed their claws ... just nip the needle sharp points off the end.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 10:42:05 AM »
Not an expert as have never had to clip claws, but does it not depend on if they go out or not?

Cant remember the exact convo, but at my last vet visit they suggested that because mine went out they wouldnt need done?  :shocked:

Even so, Dexter gets his stuck in the carpet/ post/ sofa somtimes, but I think thats just him!

The other week I had to 'rescue' him from the pebble dash as he was scrathing it off and got stuck!  :rofl:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 19:37:29 PM »
I had never had to trim cats claws, even my 19 year old 'tripod', but Cleo's need doing every few months as they catch on things and scratch when she smacks us!

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 15:08:40 PM »
just a word of caution though - Trigger never gets his claws caught because they curl so much he is walking on the curve - which is why I let them go until I saw with horror he had one tip growing into his pad

so waiting until they catch on something isn't always safe to do
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 13:08:04 PM »
I trim Jaffa's regularly (front at least then the add snip of back ones when he's sleeping!) as they get caught on carpets and furnishings.  I trim Mosi's mainly so that he doesn't hurt Jaffa when they are play fighting.  If they dont' appear to be causing much problem I wouldn't worry but if they are getting caught it might be worth trying to trim the front ones at least.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 22:16:17 PM »
Personally I wouldn't I'd be too scared. Xander gets his claws caught more than any cat I've had before, but he's improved as he's gotten older. Fortunately we don't have carpet as he'd definitely get stuck in it.  He's now two and a half so hopefully Amber will be the same. I think it just takes them a while to learn. 

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 20:11:39 PM »
one of mine has claws which curl right over, and have been known to pierce the pad, so I take him to the vet to have them clipped every couple of months - it only costs me £8
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
  • Lady Marmalade of the fluffy trousers
    • Cruelty Free, Vegan Skincare Freshly Made in the UK
  • Slave to: Marmalade, Teddy, Crystal, Marco (Thug 1) and Polo (Thug 2)
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 20:05:17 PM »
Hi

I trim my older ladies' claws with regular clippers. But I literally only take off the point so as to avoid the quick and hurting them.I also generally have to do 2 paws at a time, to avoid myself getting hurt   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
RIP beautiful Lilli 01.08.1999 - 02.01.2016 
My shadow since February 2002
I'll love you forever

Offline Ambersmum

• Adult Cat
Claw cutting?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 15:15:36 PM »
Hope I've put this in the right section.

I'm looking for some advice on if we should cut Amber's claws or not please.  We can hear then catching as she walks on the carpet and occasionally they get quite stuck and she has to pull her paw free.

She has a scratch post and also a mat but is there anything else we can do for her?

Link to CatChat