Author Topic: Lou doesn't want to stay in the house  (Read 1826 times)

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: gizmo, gingurr, nemo, mittens and brujo. always with me, leroy w murgatroyd
Re: Lou doesn't want to stay in the house
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 16:29:49 PM »
Hi Laurensimm. Sue is right it is not impossible for them to rebuild a friendship, it may not be as close but it should get better with time. With Milo now not peeing it wont seem such a Milo house to Louis too. If it was me i would give louis free access to getting out of the cat flap. he may be reluctant to come in now because he knows he might then be stuck in with milo. If louis knows he can get out again if milo turns psychocat on him he will feel safer about coming in. At the moment the shed is his safe place but if he can come and go in the house he will probably use it more, especially as its getting colder.

my cat ginger hates being stuck in with my other cats. last week he was prevented from going out to check on his rabbits as we were away for a few days so as soon as he could get out he went away for 24 hours. now we are back again he is coming back for fuss, sleep and food but i think next time he sees a suitcase he will be packing his for the old caravan over the road  ;)
:) Please text CATS22 £5 to 70070 to feed a cat for a week :)

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 09:38:59 AM »
Don't feel silly about posting your worries about your cats on Purrs. We all totally understand. This is sometimes the only place in the world that does understand. Cats are part of our families and we want them to be happy. I wasn't happy when Gizmo was out all the time and was continually worrying about her, fortunately we lived on a quiet road so no danger of her being run over.

Hope you can get something sorted.  :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 08:03:34 AM »

It sounds like initially after Milo's fight with the other cat he had some redirected aggression which may have spooked Louis.  It's true that when cats relationships become damaged, they can be difficult to repair, but it can be done.

Have a look and see if yuo can catch any of Jackson Galaxy's Cat from Hell on Animal Planet - they often run back to backs all day on a Sunday - they've featured a number of cases like this - each of them required a slightly different approach, but there may be some very useful tips for you to try there regarding shared space, and confidence building.

I do hope you can get it sorted, as it must be very upsetting to you to have Louis staying out.  You'll be worrying about him, especially witht he cold weather coming.  :hug: :hug:

Offline Laurensimm

• Adult Cat
Lou doesn't want to stay in the house
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 22:15:28 PM »
Hi thanks for your reply. I felt a bit silly after posting it because I'm probably being over the top. Milo has stopped peeing in the house now but it all started after milo had a fight with another cat. He then started attacking Louis. He's stopped this now and just tries to play with him but I don't think Louis trusts milo now. I've been told that once a close cat relationship is ruined its unlikely to be the same again.

Lou has come back this evening for his tea and I let him go back out. He did actually come back about 9pm when I whistled for him but I still don't think he wants to stay in. I'm possibly just going to have to accept that this is how he is going to be now.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 21:10:20 PM »
I did have this problem when I moved into a house and they left their cat and we already had a cat. It was agreed with the owner, he was going to be living in a camper van so we felt sorry for her. Anyway she didn't get on with my original cat and spent most of her time outside and in various sheds. I'd always be going out and bringing her in. Eventually she moved in with our neighbours and then my parents took her when we moved. At both of those houses she stayed in most of the time . So I'm sure it was because she didn't like my other cat.

Sorry there's not much I can suggest but I'd say you need to try to get him to reconcile with his brother. Why did they stop getting on, do you know what caused it? Has Milo stopped peeing in the house now?   

Offline Laurensimm

• Adult Cat
Lou doesn't want to stay in the house
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 19:58:35 PM »
My Louis still doesn't want to stay in the house. He goes out first thing in the morning and then I don't see him until about 7.30-8.30pm. He comes in for his tea but then want to go straight back out. If I were to let him back out he would disappear again for hours. I don't think anyone else is feeding him as he comes home and eats and when I do go looking for him he is 99% of the time either in a hedge on the road behind mine or in a shed behind the hedge. This shed has a big hole near the roof and I've often seen him come out of it. The house that the shed belongs to is empty and up for sale. So I think he's making himself comfortable in the shed.

His brother, Milo, is still playing rough with him which Lou doesn't like. I have tried feliway and pet remedy. Neither worked. I have an extra litter tray. They are both currently on zylkene as recommended by the vet. Milo has been checked by the vet and there's nothing wrong with him (he kept peeing in the house). Both were neutered at 6 months.

Very occasionally I will come home and Lou will be in the house. They have a cat flap, magnetic. Milo is a home body so is usually in or on the back yards.

I was counting on the weather changing and Louis thinking the house seemed a warmer and cosier place to be but this hasn't happened yet! Since the heat wave he's been determined to stay outside. He always comes to me if I go looking for him and seems happy to see me and if I go and fetch him he lets me carry him home but then wants to go straight back out. The thing is I worry he will get run over.

I miss my Louis being home. I currently force him to stay in at night. After a while he relents and goes go sleep upstairs usually. If I leave him to come home on his own he eventually re appears for food but wants to go straight back out. What has happened? They are nearly 2 and for the first year he went out he always came home and stayed close by.

The temp has dropped outside and it's been raining a lot but he still doesn't come home. I think he prefers the peace and quiet of the shed. Am I being cruel making home stay in? Why doesn't he want to be at home? Am I just being too over protective? I've never been solely responsible for my own pets before and I do treat them like children. I probably need to get a grip but I feel like I'm forcing Louis to be my cat! Does anyone else have this problem?

Link to CatChat