Author Topic: Thinking of enclosing garden  (Read 3955 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: Thinking of enclosing garden
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2013, 06:56:07 AM »
Great news Sheryl.   ;D

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2013, 21:27:22 PM »
Thanks Hun, hoping to complete on Nov 4th and then I can start my new life  ;D
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2013, 14:17:10 PM »
Sounds lovely Sheryl! I do hope that the move goes well when the time comes.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2013, 12:36:14 PM »
I shall be moving in about 4 weeks  ;D and have had a quote to have the whole of the courtyard at the top of my Garden enlcosed and it is approx £800 but worth it to me to know the cats can have outdoor access and be safe. I am hoping to take the cat run aswell but not sure yet
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2013, 11:27:09 AM »
thought I would add, too, perhaps as an OH persuader, Sue, that having an enclosed garden means you share their space much more with them - there's nothing I like more than sitting down outside in the sun, and having 3 quiveringly erect tails rushing towards me for fuss :Luv:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2013, 10:59:40 AM »
all of mine have had freedom before being enclosed, Oscar and Tilly with me and Star and Amber at previous homes - Oscar and Amber tried to get about two or three times but gave up - once while we were on holiday the shed door was opened (not sure how) and used as a ladder to get up and out and I think only star didn't go out, I'm sure they had a wonderful time but am glad I didn't know!!

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2013, 10:19:00 AM »
Trigger had had around 5 months of freedom before finding himself enclosed - he was born in the January and the fence was completed in October

he spent a week thoroughly exploring it, trying unsuccessfully to climb the wire (and having to be disentangled numerous times) and looking for escape holes - then accepted his lot apparently quite happily - though I had been shutting him in from dusk to dawn so being able to go outside during the night was probably a big consolation

thereafter he has escaped a couple of times, when I have not shut the gate properly, and cried piteously for an hour after being recaptured - but that was it - Tiffany has never got out and has never shown the slightest interest in doing so

Tosker in a way is the best judge of the impact my enclosure has on them, as he can climb out, and does so a couple of times a day, but is back within 15 minutes maximum, despite being surrounded by fields and farms - it seems home is best

as Tinky has been used to free roaming I think it might be better for him, psychologically, if you curtailed his freedom a bit now if you are going to enclose the garden, so that having complete  freedom to come and go afterwards will make up for having less space to do it in
Robert A. Heinlein:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 07:18:47 AM »

Am convinced of it's worth, just need to persuade my OH that it's best for our two.

Has anyone who has cat proofed their garden had a cat which was used to going out unhindered, who has then adapted to being effectively enclosed, and if so, how did that work out originally? 

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 16:42:27 PM »

I've been looking into this over the last few days too, and there are a wide variety of systems around but all seem to work on the angled netting principle.  I have seen one type of system which uses a series of what look like rolling logs affixed to fencing, with angled struts and netting above, and that seems really good.  I do  wonder though about what happens in the winter with the weight of snow?  I know that sounds a bit bizarre, but am thinking about the weight of snow lying on the netting and struts.  I know you could brush it off periodically, but up here, it has a habit of snowing overnight  and I wouldnt fancy getting up in me jm-jams and donning me wellies to do snow shifting duties. :shify:

I have friends who catproofed two of their gardens very sucecssfully, but they were both good at DIY, whereas me and hubby are not, and the professional systems do seem to be eye wateringly expensive.

Dawn - two have fallen in?   :evillaugh:  I shouldnt giggle, but I did.

Yes, I guess the professionally fitted systems will be expensive.  Could be worth it though? 

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 16:35:26 PM »
I've had the angled type for about 7 years, we have no escapes but in that time two outsiders have fallen in! there is a pic of mine on the a team thread on monday I think

Ah well, there is a particular outsider I would like to keep out!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 16:07:27 PM »
Lupin can climp the wire lol..................I thunk the only one he may not be able to climb is if it a very fine gauge...........I mean mini squares.......I thought yours was like the one I used for the door in the house.

But would not put that past him......it would just take more thinkin!

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 15:56:57 PM »
they can't climb the wire, Gill, as their claws get caught immediately they try

Tosker shins up a wooden gate post to get out, and if I had had the overhang angled instead of at 90degrees, or used metal posts, he wouldn't be able to get out either
Robert A. Heinlein:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 15:05:03 PM »
The prob about rigid without sag at top is if a climber like Lupin they can just shin up it and over top.......Lupin would b e out of your cage Kay as soon as back was turned.........sigh

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 10:08:30 AM »
are you thinking of the sort of netting used to protect fruit bushes and the like, Sue - made of nylon? I have aviary galvanised wire netting which is rigid, so  doesn't sag at all, and is  strong enough to support loads of snow - which is in any case spread out along the length of it and not concentrated in one spot

this is one example http://www.hillsofdevon.co.uk/aviary-mesh.html and it seems pretty cheap (cheep?)  to me

« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 10:09:06 AM by Kay&3Ts »
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 09:02:54 AM »
yes but they only do it once!!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 08:21:35 AM »

I've been looking into this over the last few days too, and there are a wide variety of systems around but all seem to work on the angled netting principle.  I have seen one type of system which uses a series of what look like rolling logs affixed to fencing, with angled struts and netting above, and that seems really good.  I do  wonder though about what happens in the winter with the weight of snow?  I know that sounds a bit bizarre, but am thinking about the weight of snow lying on the netting and struts.  I know you could brush it off periodically, but up here, it has a habit of snowing overnight  and I wouldnt fancy getting up in me jm-jams and donning me wellies to do snow shifting duties. :shify:

I have friends who catproofed two of their gardens very sucecssfully, but they were both good at DIY, whereas me and hubby are not, and the professional systems do seem to be eye wateringly expensive.

Dawn - two have fallen in?   :evillaugh:  I shouldnt giggle, but I did. 

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 08:14:52 AM »
I've had the angled type for about 7 years, we have no escapes but in that time two outsiders have fallen in! there is a pic of mine on the a team thread on monday I think

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 17:04:25 PM »
If done properly there should be no escapes.

No trees or anything close they can climb and the angle part slightly floppy so they cant climb up

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 16:43:05 PM »
Why a roof?

As I've heard of escapes from the angled fence types.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 18:20:55 PM »
Why a roof?

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
Thinking of enclosing garden
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 17:17:03 PM »
Any advice on deterring a visiting pet cat from our garden would be appreciated.  I think he's bothering our boy Tompuss in his pen.  Ferals also visit, but they tend to keep their distance. 

Thinking of enclosing garden ( with a roof on ) but may not need to happen if simpler solution is found.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 19:37:41 PM by CuteCats »

Link to CatChat