Author Topic: Help, blood in wee UPDATE  (Read 2249 times)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: Help, blood in wee UPDATE
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 15:57:08 PM »
Yes, the silicate litter.

You need to make sure the tray is perfectly clean beforehand, and when he pees make sure to collect any gritty pieces that sink to the bottom along with the fluid, as these will be the struvite crystals (if this is the type of affliction he has) and the vet needs to see these particularly, so be careful to collect as much of the sample as you can.

Offline Sarah_Jane

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Twix, numerous foster kittens currently have a 2 babies with out names yet!
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 15:38:11 PM »
Hi Sheilarose, they gave me some special litter to get a sample if i dont think he is improving and think he needs to come back. She spoke about crystal s but she said his bladder felt fine and just to keep an eye on him.
I think I may have taken that a bit literally and am stalking him into every room. He fast asleep now though.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 12:45:26 PM »
Hi Sarah Jane.

Glad to hear Twix is peeing better now.

Considering Twix is a huge cat dimensionally, I don't think 5.4 is overweight, he's just a big boy.  :Luv2:

Did the vet get a wee sample? If so, did he mention anything about crystals or bladder stones? I have three cats with sporadic cystitis so we keep a supply of Hills CD dry cat kibble available. Sly, Tufty and Pursley all eat this and it seems to keep their flare-ups down to a manageable level.

The covenia and metacam jabs (I'm assuming he had the same treatment that my lot get) will help Twix feel better straight away. If his urethra has been inflamed by crystals (that's where the blood comes from) it will be uncomfortable for him to pee for a day or so until it heals properly, but once it has he'll be back to normal.

The thing to watch out for is when he stops peeing but still strains to go. If this happens his tubes are blocked and that would be a life-threatening condition which would need immediate vet attention. Keep an eye out for this, even though he's peeing freely now he can still block up if crystals or stones are present.

Offline Sarah_Jane

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Twix, numerous foster kittens currently have a 2 babies with out names yet!
Re: Help, blood in wee
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 11:40:44 AM »
Update, had twix to vet this morning since he had a bad night, has been given an injection of anti biotics some painkillers and a supplement to put in food.vet said he should feel better straight away and when he got home he had a lovely blood free big wee but since then has sat on litter tray and done nothing really. Will keep an eye on him and just keep fingers crossed he is ok. Vet did say he is over weight 5.4  :innocent:but that his bladder seemed fine.

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 23:36:21 PM »
sounds like a urinary infection, or they can get bladder stones which make them wee blood. But def take him to vets monday.

Offline Sarah_Jane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 23:33:44 PM »
Okay thank you, that has calmed me a bit. He definitely isnt lethargic, he is currently playing chase with the kitten. His apetite is good and he hasn't been sick. Monday can not come fast enough,  :evillaugh: thats probably the only time iv ever said that

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 23:23:42 PM »
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Sarah_Jane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 23:11:21 PM »
There is no link in your message Kat&3Ts unless you mean purrs in which case I'm all over it. This is the first time Twix has been ill in his life, so I'm not coping well  :Crazy: I found the wee with blood in it on my kitchen floor about half an hour ago since then iv messaged my foster co odinater (she on holiday so cant reply) googled like a mad woman and cried. Should I call the emergency vet?
His behaviour hasn't changed, he is playing and eating no problem. He is crying every so often and isnt staying close to the litter tray. I dont think he would of wee'd on floor but I didn't know he was in kitchen and shut door.
His diet is mainly royal canin dry, I'm now paranoid he isn't drinking enough so iv put down another two bowls of water and got him a wet sachet which he ate no problem.
There was what seemed to me a lot of blood in that wee and there was a fair amount of wee, maybe a third of a cup. I dont actually know how much blood was in it though b'cos obviously it wouldnt take a lot to make it go red??

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 22:57:23 PM »
have a look at this site, Sarah

it seems to be very good in setting out what symptoms should be treated as an emergency
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Sarah_Jane

• Distinguished Cat
Help, blood in wee UPDATE
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 22:37:36 PM »
Hi peeps, I know I havent been on for ages and im sorry but I need help. Twix is weeing blood I only noticed today when he weed on my kitchen floor. Its sunday tomorrow so vets on monday is there anything I can do until then to make him feel better. Please help
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 11:41:19 AM by Sarah_Jane »

Link to CatChat