Author Topic: Sidney has a poorly tum - advice needed  (Read 1738 times)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: Sidney has a poorly tum - advice needed
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 19:54:35 PM »
JW is one of the better quality foods and if you're using the cereal free variety I'd be very surprised if that is the cause of any intolerance.

See how he gets on, if he has managed one solid stool already you may have cracked it.  :)

Offline jetcleo

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Buddy & Daisy
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 17:49:37 PM »
Thank you for the advice, I don't really trust the vet I saw but as its the weekend we decided to give the food ago that they recommended, after not feeding him for nearly 24hours. I'm not getting too hopeful but the one trip he's had to the litter tray actually looked like normal cat poo!!

They didn't give him any antibiotics, the only reason I think they did the blood test was because I'm pregnant and they wanted to rule any nasties out. They said the next step would be bloods.

They suggested maybe a food intolerance but I wouldn't have thought that likely with James welbeloved?

Thanks
Always in my heart RIP Jet, Cleo, Poppy, Oscar & Sydney x

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 17:13:11 PM »
Poor you! Of course you are scared, considering what has happened to your other cats. I do hope that Sidney is soon back to his usual self  :hug:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 16:17:32 PM »
Do you trust your vet? And Stress?? Bizarre diagnosis. I'd get a second opinion if I were you, as this has gone on long enough, especially with your history of poisoned animals.

What did they test his poo for? Poison? They may have tested for parasites but not bacterial strains, and if there is a strain of bacteria causing this he needs a lasting anti-biotic to kill it off.

I had a discussion with my vet when similar symptoms were troubling Pursley a few years ago, he said that there was little point testing poo samples where bacterial infection is suspected. Its expensive and you need to have a clue what you're looking for as there are numerous tests for various different things. Administering a single antibiotic injection was a cheap and effective way of establishing whether this is the cause. It turned out to be correct because her tummy was back to normal in within two days.

He did say that if she hadn't improved then testing would be appropriate, but at least the bacterial infection would have been ruled out, so the tests would be simpler.

I'm assuming he's been wormed to rule out parasitic infection?

Sounds like your vet could do with talking to mine.  :shify:

Offline jetcleo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 06:29:56 AM »
Thank you no they didn't give him anti-biotics just the supplement to sprinkle on top of his normal food, they said could be stress with losing poppy but it started before we lost her!

I tried feeding him just chicken but he wouldn't touch it might give the fish a go though thank you. Normally he has James wellbeloved dry

:thanks:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 21:49:11 PM »
duifficult to say - could be a bug, or a food intolerance - bloody poo can be caused by both - has he been given any antibiotics?

I'd be tempted to feed him only steamed chicken and white fish for a couple of  days, and not offer him any cat food or supplements
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline jetcleo

• Distinguished Cat
Sidney has a poorly tum - advice needed
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 20:13:07 PM »
 :scared
After having 4 cats put to sleep in the last two years due to poisoning I'm really worried about my final cat SIdney. We lost his friend Poppy 2 weeks ago and since then Sidney has become a house cat.

About 3 weeks ago he started with diarrhea but had blood in it, he's been to the vets and they took a sample and all came back ok. He had to have purina fortiflora sprinkled on his food to try settle his tum but that hasn't helped. Went back to the vet yesterday and they said to starve him for 24hrs and start with the fortiflora again on top of some purina EN gastro enteric food which we've done today but he's now been sick twice? Any ideas?
Could the sickness be because of the new food?

:thanks:

Link to CatChat