Author Topic: Frankie, 18 month old house cat, crying for attention or looking to get out?  (Read 1571 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
The early morning is a natural time for cats to be active. Most domestic cats learn to fit into the human sleep cycle, but not quite. Cat-people often find themselves being awoken at 4am by some hungry monster.

Is she used to being an indoor-outdoor cat, or has she always been indoor-only? If you want her to be an indoor cat, you may have to put in more work at entertaining/exhausting her. Try Da Bird. Both your cats will love it. It's sold in the Purrs shop.

Does she have a nice clean litter tray to use during the night? Could she be hungry?
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Fitzchiv

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Daisy
They are indeed, although I did wonder if just being neutered removed all those hormones and instincts? She seems to have calmed down a little in the last few days but still seems a little unsettled at night.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Are your girls neutered? I'm wondering if she's in season.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
One of my cats does this, he cries when we are in the other room especially at night. I'm not sure whether he is calling to his sister or to us. I've never gotten to the bottom of why he does it. I usually try to answer him when he calls but quite often it in the middle of the night. He's not locked out of the bedroom.

You could try playing with her more, have you tried the flying frenzy, they sell them in the purrs shop. They are really good for getting cats moving. It might use up some of her energy.       

Offline Fitzchiv

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Daisy
Frankie, 18 month old house cat, crying for attention or looking to get out?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 10:23:09 AM »
Hi all.

We have a lovely little black and white, 18 months old now, house cat named Frankie. She's one of a pair, her "big sis" being a 2.5yr of tort named Daisy who's a very typical mog (you know, wakes up, eats, prats about a bit, goes back to sleep).

The last couple of weeks Frank has started crying when she's out of the room. We can be sat in the front room, and she will go to the hallway and cry and jump at the front door (playing with the keys if they're in it). When called, she'll often trot through to see us. The worst of this behaviour though is at night. She's routinely doing it between 4am and 6am - again with a tendancy to run through to the bedroom when one of us acknowledges her, jump on the bed, purr and look for a head rub then when we inevitably fall straight back to sleep she starts again.

Half the problem I think is that Daisy, me and my wife all have a different sleeping wavelength to Frank. In the early hours she's the only one "up".

My questions for you guys are;

Have you seen similar behaviour from your house cat? Frank's only had limited access to landing beyond our front door and whilst interested it can't be the sole reason she jumps at the door. I suspect it's more because it's guaranteed to get a response from us.

And, have you any recommendations to help ease her frustration?

Cheers

Link to CatChat