Author Topic: Kali has been bitten by a flea  (Read 1735 times)

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
Re: Kali has been bitten by a flea
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 14:19:40 PM »
Kali says thanks for the good wishes, she's feeling a lot better now, well enough to wake me up in the morning about 6 by licking me on my eyelids as normal. Mymblesdaughter the vet recommended the collar, this one covers her for 7-8 months, and I wont need to the spot on now, I bought the collar at the  vets  and hopefully it will help keep her clear.

Did Uncle M come out in lumps under the fur, it looked like very bad nettle rash?

Yes, he did. The lumps would form in extensive patches especially in the neck area and around the base of his tail. I'm glad Kali is feeling better now and thankfully with the year on the turn, there shouldn't be any further problems hopefully.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 21:16:58 PM »
Cleo comes out in lumps under her fur from the harvest mites, but they are widely scattered, not close together like nettle rash.

Offline Kali

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Willow, Milly, Titan & Kali
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 20:41:35 PM »
Kali says thanks for the good wishes, she's feeling a lot better now, well enough to wake me up in the morning about 6 by licking me on my eyelids as normal. Mymblesdaughter the vet recommended the collar, this one covers her for 7-8 months, and I wont need to the spot on now, I bought the collar at the  vets  and hopefully it will help keep her clear.

Did Uncle M come out in lumps under the fur, it looked like very bad nettle rash?

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 15:28:05 PM »
Our Uncle M reacted to both fleas and harvest mites. This was in the days before spot-on treatments were available and it was the devil's own job to spray him sufficiently before he legged it so most summers I had to take him to the vets for steroids at some point. He used to tear out big strips of fur too, and the bites would swell and scab. It was always a relief when autumn came. Poor Kali- I hope she feels better soon.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 14:57:17 PM »
Poor Kali!

I haven't ever known a cat have such a reaction to flea bites but Cleo does react badly to harvest mites (of which I had never heard until recently).

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 11:45:36 AM »
I know some cats have reactions to flea bites I suppose a bit like some people do with bee stings etc. What type of flea treatment are you using because I've never heard of using a flea collar as well as a spot on treatment?

Offline Kali

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Willow, Milly, Titan & Kali
Kali has been bitten by a flea
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 20:35:06 PM »
Poor Kali, my daughter dropped her dog off to be groomed a couple of weeks ago, and I found he had fleas as I groomed him, I treated all the animals including her dog and thought all was well, so it seemed for a while, obviously one got through and bit Kali. For a cat that had at least one parent who was feral she is a fragile little creature, this bite has caused a severe reaction which has needed a trip to the vets for a steroid injection and a flea collar as the spot on wasn't enough. Poor little girl has lost a strip of fur and looked so sore, the other cats seem fine. When I got her she was a rescue and only a little girl, we needed the vet then as she had a bacterial infection which meant she had constant up set stomachs. I hope she doesn't lose more fur as I'll have to knit her a sweater. Has anyone else had a reaction like this?

Link to CatChat