Author Topic: Sore all over cats body and face (pictures included)  (Read 11083 times)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
Re: Sore all over cats body and face (pictures included)
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2013, 10:25:04 AM »
This sounds very promising  ;D ;D

It does indeed  ;D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2013, 22:25:24 PM »
This sounds very promising  ;D ;D

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Licky, Fudge, Sugar, Candy (RIP Miss C)
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2013, 22:23:36 PM »
Couldnt find a baby grow that would fit him. There were either too small for his legs or too big on his body that he was falling over it. I am using his thundershirt but not on tight, then he wears the cone at night to give his body a rest and breath a bit. He is loving having the jacket on as he can play on the tower and get into gaps etc. He seems much happier and this strong dose is working really well. As for a food allergy he has not got any new spots so fingers crossed we have found the issue. Going back to vets in a week so hopefully have better news. x

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2013, 18:34:34 PM »
I hope he's feeling better soon,i've known about people using these babygrows,i think they're are a great idea.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2013, 22:13:38 PM »
Ahh the poor baby sorry to hear he has allergies :(  Have you considered raw feeding as this often helps with allergies.  Try natures menu  as a starter http://naturesmenu.co.uk/category-raw-cat-food.aspx   :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2013, 15:44:14 PM »
Just a quick update:- Been back to the vets today as Fudge has developed more after his course of tablets ended. Its been confirmed that he has an allergy but we now have to find out what. At the moment he has gone back onto a stronger dose of steroids and a course of antibiotics. We are also feeding him a Hypo-allergenic diet for a few weeks to see if it is his food intake. So we've got James WellBeloved dry and Burns (i think?) wet food, Both fish flavour as vet said common allergy is to beef and chicken. Still got the cone of shame but he is learning to love it. Also...Fudge has to wear a baby grow as he is using his back legs to take the scabs off his back. Its rather amusing to see him but it works. Any tips or advice for this would be great.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2013, 19:52:27 PM »
You could try giving him coconut oil ...http://www.coconut-connections.com/pets_corner.htm
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2013, 22:40:40 PM »
I would go for a comfy collar instead of the cone of shame they are fab and means cats can jump and eat normally with out falling off something due to the cone of shame they can't get to the sore bits - we used one when Billie jo lost her eye and it meant she could do all the things like normal except get at her eye wound so worth the investment to as they are reuseable

They soubd better and look bettrr bit i dont have the money right. Gonna invest in one next pay day as with it being sensitive skin he will probably flare up again. We dont lnow what it is that is causing it but i have an idea. Lady three doors down has been feeding him for past two weeks, which tires in with when these started to develop. Vrts going to do some tests to find oit what it is when he is better.

Offline Laurensimm

• Adult Cat
Sore all over cats body and face (pictures included)
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2013, 21:34:45 PM »
Aww bless him :) so the dog didn't get him? Good news if so. So glad he's on the mend I was worried about the little guy x

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2013, 21:33:40 PM »
I would go for a comfy collar instead of the cone of shame they are fab and means cats can jump and eat normally with out falling off something due to the cone of shame they can't get to the sore bits - we used one when Billie jo lost her eye and it meant she could do all the things like normal except get at her eye wound so worth the investment to as they are reuseable
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2013, 20:39:59 PM »
Found today that Fudge has sensitive skin. The sores are a reaction to something he has come into contact. He now has steds and antibiotics. He is dosy ragdoll with a cone on but its his bday on the 18th. He will be one l. We got him anew bigger tower which should keeo him bus while he recovers. Xxx poor guy. Xxxxxx

Offline Laurensimm

• Adult Cat
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2013, 08:20:21 AM »
I agree with DottyBB. I wouldn't feel sorry for them either. What utter low lifes they are. I hope fudge and your neighbours cat have a full and speedy recovery x

Offline DottyyBB

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Dotty and Blue. My other lovelies Dixie,Jasper & Rosie R.I.P
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2013, 07:08:00 AM »
It just shows what kind of people they are by not coming around to apologise and face you. I'm also afraid that you may not have much luck getting any recompence from them either if as you say they are not well off..... I certainly wouldn't be thinking about how unfair it is to their kids, if anything I feel sorry for the dog for having such irresponsible owners but unfortunately yet again it's the dog that will ultimately suffer but the dog does need removing and the people banned from owning another..... >:( >:(

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2013, 21:03:04 PM »
Oh that's great news. Hopefully he will be on the mend soon. What's happening with the dog?

The police have said its on th danger list and its not to leave the house. If it is seen outside the house then we are to phone the police who will collect the dog and pit it own. The owners have small children so its unfair to them and therefore its on its last chance. Personally this is not good enough and i dont mean to be naughty but i hope it bites one of their children. They are not a well off family but i guess christmas will be cancelled when mu lawyer slaps them with the vets bills for Fudge and for the lady who tried to help protect fudge as her own cat has bite marks and she is reclaiming vet bills off them to. I know hers will be higher as she took her cat in as an emergency has he was in a bad way. Worse then fudge. Teach them a lesson about caring for a dog. I dnt even feel sorry. They owners have not even come round go say sorry which angers me soo much. It would  habge anything but it would mean they recongise they were in the wrong.

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2013, 18:06:20 PM »
That is great that the vet was so good. Get well soon little man and you will soon have that cone off. The vet sounds nice too so good result :)
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2013, 16:44:20 PM »
I'm so glad that you were able to get him seen and treated - although I bet he's not thanking you for the cone!  ;D

Offline Laurensimm

• Adult Cat
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2013, 15:46:41 PM »
Oh that's great news. Hopefully he will be on the mend soon. What's happening with the dog?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2013, 13:20:55 PM »
So pleased they have treated him and hope he improves fast  :hug: :hug:

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2013, 23:30:16 PM »
He ended up with a cone of shame and looking very sorry for himself. He has antibiotics for a week, gotta stay in and some cre stuff to help heal the wounds faster. They said it could be insect bites, a allergy to a summer flowering plant etc but started treatment for dog bites incase. they have taken bloods and will ring me on monday with results and any future prescriptions.  They have allowed me to get care from them and take out a policy with them direct. They are willing to take on Licky with his thyroids too. The vet was lovely. Picked him up and give him massive fuss which he loved. Let him roam the room and could his time to explain everything in detail, plus showing me as well.
Needless to say Fudge looks rather sad but he slept next to me with his wet nose and cone in the face. Guess i deserve that.have to see how things go. Any change and have to go back.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 23:33:11 PM by Stezzle »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2013, 13:37:17 PM »
What happened at PDSA?

Offline DottyyBB

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2013, 07:34:14 AM »
Hi Strezzle. Going back to this dog, what breed of dog is it?

You must contact the RSPCA also regarding this dog as it's a danger and you say that you have children. Explain your concerns for both your remaining cats and also your children as sometimes the RSPCA have more power than the police where dangerous, out of control dogs are concerned. Get your neighbours together and get their support because if this dog is a nuisance environmentally i.e barking all the time if left leashed outside you can raise this with the council, all this will help you if the case goes to court.

I am not an anti dog person nor want to see any animal hurt or euthanizied, I love all animals but the owners of this dog need to be held responsible for the actions of their dog especially when an attack and fatality has happened whether it be to another animal or human.

Let us know what happens...... :hug: :hug:

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2013, 22:36:24 PM »
What an uncaring attitude that so called vet has!! Please get him seen as soon as possible.

Offline Laurensimm

• Adult Cat
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2013, 21:40:24 PM »
 I'm so glad you are taking him. Please let us know how he is x

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2013, 20:52:50 PM »
Definitely he needs to have some anti-biotics. I'm sorry about your other cat, truly that is horrific, but this is now a life and death situation, you could lose him too.  :( Please do take him in to PDSA, you may live to regret it if you don't.

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2013, 20:46:21 PM »
Taking him the PDSA....They said its not really urgent but with it possibly being a dog bite wound and them not being open til monday for appointments, they have accepted to take him tonight for a look over, but we might have to wait a while if something comes in as an emergency. I said that was fine. I phoned has i have noticed him sleeping alot more today then normal yet he seems happy within himself outside. i hope its not too serious. I've already lost one beautiful cat this week.  :'(

Offline Laurensimm

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2013, 19:55:25 PM »
Oh pleeease get him seen before Monday! I feel so bad for candys twin bro. Poor baby 😹

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013, 18:23:47 PM »
Strezzle dear, dump your current vet.........I'd be absolutely fuming if they had said that to me. They don't know what state or condition he is in until they examine him so should be looking to do this as soon as possible as he could be critical in 3 days time. Take your hard earned money to a surgery who cares and has both your beloved cat and your interests at heart.....

I so agree and tell them if they wont see himbetter ....................too late now grrrrrrrrrrrrrr, that you will move to a better vet.

This is your cats life we are talking about and if those places are infected he  will be in the danger zone by Monday

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2013, 18:21:49 PM »
I agree with Dotty - is there another vet near you at all? I do hope they agreed to see him this evening after your call. Keep us posted x

Offline DottyyBB

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 17:22:03 PM »
Strezzle dear, dump your current vet.........I'd be absolutely fuming if they had said that to me. They don't know what state or condition he is in until they examine him so should be looking to do this as soon as possible as he could be critical in 3 days time. Take your hard earned money to a surgery who cares and has both your beloved cat and your interests at heart.....

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 15:15:04 PM »
Its not the tea tree oil its a tea tree cream for skin sore on cats. Its ok to use on the skin. Its been a long few days.

We have discussed the issue here and we are going to phone them again in a bit explaining that the situation as got worse (aka he has stop eating and wont move, even tho this is not true) We are hoping this will make the vets seen sense.

i dont get them sometimes, They go on about how you should see them even if you think its nothing to be sure, then when i do this i get told its not urgent and it can wait til next free appointment which monday. Now i understand there are animals in far worse conditions that need help before us. But i am just asking for a vet to look at them and give me something for him. 10 mins of my time and money. Sometimes i think vets dont really care about the animals. If needs be i can get him to the pdsa as my friend will take him as her own.

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 13:47:35 PM »
You will also have good evidence if your vet confirms abscesses caused by the dog bites. Like has been said if they burst internally it can turn nasty as the bacteria can cause blood poisoning :(
Apparantly Tea Tree oil is toxic to cats. There is a lot of info on the web if you google it about this.
Cooled boiled water with a teaspoon of salt is the best thing to bathe an abscess with other than what a vet would prescribe.

Offline DottyyBB

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 13:16:00 PM »
Strezzle, You do need to take him to the vets as if they are abcesses which they look like they are, they will keep coming so he needs a good dose of antibiotic to quench the infections.

I strongly recommend a vet check....Tea Tree will not cleanse the infection in his blood only the outside areas as it's an antiseptic not an antibiotic.

I hope your lawyer throws the book at the idiots with the dog......Perhaps he'll recommend that the owners are enthanazied and not the dog as clearly they have no control over it.....It's like giving monkeys guns with some people...there should be a law against it.... >:( >:( >:(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 13:11:14 PM »
isn't tea tree bad for cats?

Yes I thought it was.................this cat needs to go to the vets

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 13:05:20 PM »
isn't tea tree bad for cats?

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 13:03:26 PM »
The dog is not being put down. They have gotta of clean with it, but ive got a lawyer involved as a cat is classed as my property by law so we can get them done for criminal damage on my property.

They have scabbed over and i am not letting him out, which he hates as he is always outdoor. Ive put tea tree oil on them and cleaning them three times a day. He is eating fine.

My other cat Licky was Candy twin brother and he is looking for her. He checks for her scent and stares out. I feel so sad for him. I wish he understood. X

Offline DottyyBB

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 12:25:22 PM »
Hi Strezzle. I have looked at the photos and they look like abcesses to me which have ruptured. Is there any swelling or lumps under the fur which you can feel?

I would definitely emphasis to your vet that he needs to be seen urgently or if they won't see him I'd strongly advise you call another vet because Monday is not acceptable. I personally would be having a fit if my vet told me that....

Also report the attack on your other cat to the police as clearly that dog is dangerous. I'm so sorry for your loss it must have been horrific.......The dog wants euthanizing as it's a danger....

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 21:18:51 PM »
I am so sorry to hear about Candy  :hug:

It's hard to tell from the photo's but it is certainly possible that these lesions are infected. I wouldn't want my cat to be left until Monday with no treatment...

Offline Laurensimm

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 21:03:07 PM »
Oh my god! I'm so sorry about candy, poor baby :( I would definitely take him to the emergency vet. If the dog also got fudge the saliva could have given him an infection. Get him seen to ASAP.

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 21:01:17 PM »
It looks as if the dog has in fact bitten or nicked the skin and your cat now has multiple abscesses. A dog's mouth is full of bacteria :(  It takes several days for these to come up so you will not have noticed them at first. These may need drained and flushed as well as treated with antibiotics. Poor kitty these are likely to be painful too. I would insist he is seen before Monday in case they get bigger and the one on the face could affect his eyes and nose so have him seen sooner,
Hope he gets sorted out and is soon feeling better. Have you reported the dog to the police and RSPCA? It sounds to be out of control and should be muzzled when out of it's house. It is awful enough what happened to your cat but it could be a small child next :(
I'm sorry for your loss and the person should pay the vet bills for your cat I would say. Good luck and hope he can be seen soon.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 21:03:55 PM by souffle »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 20:56:44 PM »
I am so sorry to hear about Candy RIP

I would take him to the vets tomorrow this cant wait till Monday............with the rate that they are appearing its an emergency

Link to CatChat