Author Topic: Bowel infection, Sensitive tummy...  (Read 3631 times)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Re: Bowel infection, Sensitive tummy...
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 22:36:52 PM »
Meant to say ... if you don't use the whole can you can freeze the leftovers.  ;)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 17:36:44 PM »
Glad to hear that you have found something that helps!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 20:55:36 PM »
Yay for canned pumpkin!! It is working already! (and thanks to Waitrose!)  ;D  :)

Excellent news so pleased the pumpkin is helping.   :hug:

Offline Bluemoon

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Jumpy, Pixie, Gracie & Bogey
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 16:54:30 PM »
Yay for canned pumpkin!! It is working already! (and thanks to Waitrose!)  ;D  :)

Offline Bluemoon

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 20:23:05 PM »
Thanks guys, I am sure it is Colitis

He had an operation last October on the base of his spine (to remove a cyst) which gave him a leaky bum for a few days (gross) but the vet did say it was probably caused by inflammation to the whole of his back end area. And it was in February this year he first got colitis, now he has it again. It was a nightmare to shift last time and took about 3 weeks!! Its been 1 week now so hopefully the supplements I;ve ordered will do the trick! He already has a grain-free diet anyway so that should help  :)

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 20:09:50 PM »
Geoffrey also has tendencies to colitis.  I tend to keep some pro-kolin and diarsanyl in my 'first aid' cupboard and if he is ok in himself I sometimes try this before rushing him off to the vet...who will invariably tell me that he has colitis and will prescribe me one of those two products, saying bring him back if you're worried!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 18:57:49 PM »
I know how you feel .... but if it is colitis there isn't a lot they can do unfortunately.

This link may be of interest:  http://www.holisticat.com/ibd.html 

Offline Bluemoon

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 18:53:00 PM »
Well, he's been to the vet this morning, but they just seemed to think it was diet-related.....  :shocked:  :shocked:

I explained we have not changed his diet, but think he ate some dodgy food which had flies around it, or something else he ate outside which triggered it off.

Anyway the vet only gave him some more Sensitivity pouches and told me to give him one for dinner as well (he already has one for breakfast)!

But they did NOT give anything to reduce inflammation for his bowels, which I think is crazy, because this is the 2nd flare-up in 6 months that he's had and he needs to reduce the irritation inside before it will clear up properly!!

So I've had to order Prokolin Enterogenic sachets online to add into his food.... hope they work!

£60 for an almost useless vet trip is a lot of money (and is £20 short of the £80 excess needed for my insurance to cover it!!)  :P

Offline Bluemoon

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 19:34:19 PM »
If you have a Waitrose anywhere near you you can buy Libby's tinned pumpkin.  Add a couple of teaspoons of tinned pumpkin to his food and it really helps with the trots  ;)

My little girl suffers with colitis and regularly has flare ups which results in explosive diarrhoea .. a little bit of pumpkin really helps her.

http://voices.yahoo.com/pumpkin-natural-remedy-constipation-diarrhea-2020746.html

Thanks, that's good to know! I was wondering where I could get some canned pumpkin!! I should definitely stock up!

His problem is colitis too, once it's triggered off it can be tricky to shift. He doesn't have a lot of diarrhoea but what he does have is very sloppy. I've not found any diarrhoea in any of the litter trays today though, and he's been indoors from 7.30pm last night until 9am this morning so that's a good sign.... I will see if anything happens tonight....  ;)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 19:35:06 PM by Bluemoon »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 19:17:14 PM »
If you have a Waitrose anywhere near you you can buy Libby's tinned pumpkin.  Add a couple of teaspoons of tinned pumpkin to his food and it really helps with the trots  ;)

My little girl suffers with colitis and regularly has flare ups which results in explosive diarrhoea .. a little bit of pumpkin really helps her.

http://voices.yahoo.com/pumpkin-natural-remedy-constipation-diarrhea-2020746.html

Offline DottyyBB

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Dotty and Blue. My other lovelies Dixie,Jasper & Rosie R.I.P
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 17:46:20 PM »
Hi...Poor little mite......I'm sure the vet will give him an injection but will also give you medication I'm afraid to administer. Please make sure he is drinking as he will become dehydrated quickly with the runs and this can become more of a concern especially with the weather being warm....

My siamese catches flies and gets the runs quite alot but I give him just normal diarrhea tablets from the pet shop and it clears up within a day or so.....

I hope he gets better soon..... :hug:

Offline Bluemoon

• Adult Cat
Bowel infection, Sensitive tummy...
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 10:51:07 AM »
My cat with a sensitive tummy, Jumpy, seems to have a bit of a bowel infection going on  :-[

On Thursday I saw him eating food which I'd put out for the stray cat, who had left some. There had been flies around it but Jumpy scoffed it before I could stop him!!  :shocked:

On Thurs night he had diarrhoea in the litter tray (and stepped in it, had to clean his paw!) then Fri morning AND Fri night there was more diarrhoea, then Sat night there was another bit... :( I have been giving him boiled fish and RC Senstivity (which he was already having) along with Fortiflora supplements, but there has not been much change. I will have to ring the vet tomorrow - I know what he's like when he gets diarrhoea, it can take ages to clear up! He also HATES me giving him any medicine, he doesn't trust it, since he once had some which tasted vile!! So what treatments could the vet suggest which will be easier for me to give him??!  :shocked:
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 10:52:03 AM by Bluemoon »

Link to CatChat