Author Topic: Advice re litter tray and toileting!  (Read 1191 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: Advice re litter tray and toileting!
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 10:46:51 AM »
You are right that it will be lots better when they start going outside  :hug:  and yes cats do like a clean tray  :)  We have 7 cats and 4 trays hardly any of which get any use any more but I scoop poop as soon as I see it.  Indoors or in garden. 

If you feed good quality (high meat content) food they shouldn't need quite so much of it and should therefore poo less frequently.  If you are going to change food though, should be done gradually to try and avoid tummy upsets. 

We had a cat called Dingle many years ago and she could knock you down at 30 paces  :faint: No such thing as Internet then for advice on feeding.  I remember being so embarrassed picking her up from the cattery after a holiday once  :shify:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 10:48:21 AM by Rosella moggy »

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
Re: Advice re litter tray and toileting!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 10:16:08 AM »
Hi Jo

Standing up is quite normal, both of my two stand up on their litter tray, they also balance on the edge. Never known cats like it before. They also wait until I clean out the tray as they like it nice and clean.

All my cats have only been to the toilet once a day though. What are you feeding them? I've found that feeding them a better quality, high meat content food means they go less often and also it's not as smelly. 

Offline Jo43

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Henry and Jinxy, Sam (wee man) 1996-2012 R.I.P, Tipsy 1996-2013 R.I.P
Advice re litter tray and toileting!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 00:17:14 AM »
My 2 boy cats Henry and Harry we got 3 weeks ago.  I wanted to ask a question about when they use the litter tray.  Is it normal for them to be going to the toilet not wees nearly every time they go.  The smell is enough to knock you off your feet it is so bad.  I cannot get rid of the smell.  Have tried catsan litter but this is like a puddle at the bottom it doesn't soak in.  I asked this question before am more concerned with the amount of times they go that way in a day = it's a lot lol.  Also every time the litter tray is cleaned out they go and poo in it right away, reminds me a bit of when my 2 were babies and you changed their nappies and they went straight after changing and you had to start all over again lol.  I appreciate they are indoors atm and it wont be half as bad when they start going out.  Just wondering if going this way all the time is normal.  Oh and one of them poops standing up is this normal also my other boy I had for years didn't go this way at all.

Link to CatChat