Author Topic: Anorexic cat - NutriCal?  (Read 3844 times)

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Cash, Izzy and Scruffycat the stray.
Re: Anorexic cat - NutriCal?
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2013, 10:26:45 AM »
Well, either Nutri Cal is a miracle worker or it is pure coincidence that an hour after having it Cashie was stuffing his food and seemed so much brighter. 

A review on Amazon called it "Jesus in a tube" and at the moment I am inclined to agree.  I couldn't even catch him this morning to give him more which shows how much more energy he has.

X

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 17:52:51 PM »

[/quote]

He's trying to make you look like a crazy cat lady  :evillaugh:
[/quote]

Indeed he is. Is daft I take a perfectly healthy cat to the vet because he is lean and beautiful and leave the fat little minx at home.

How on earth do I get her to lose weight while fattening him up?  She wants whatever he has even though it is the exact same thing she is eating so goodness knows how I am going to offer him nice calorific treats without her knowing.  If I shut her in somewhere he gets upset bless him.

Ho hum.

A blob of nutri cal has been dabbed on Cashie's paw & he is currently licking it off, seems to be enjoying it, can't say that I care for it much though, was hoping it would taste and smell like marmite.... it doesn't.

X

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 10:34:39 AM »
mine are a range of sizes from 4kg to 5.5kg suppose like people they vary a bit

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 10:33:40 AM »
He won't eat cheese, he won't drink cat milk... he is just a very fussy boy indeed and always has been.

Sounds from your comparisons as though he isn't that skinny though, the vet said he was 4.85kg (my conversion into lbs wasn't too accurate!) so not too drastic. 

He was a good boy last night, he ate a fair bit of his Felix (the only thing he consistently eats ,sadly as god knows what is in it) and this morning had some Hi-life
"Indulge me" tuna in sauce which he loved (and it did look and smell great), he also had some Felix & a then an impromptu game of
"something under the duvet" so am feeling a bit better about him now.  Am getting him to eat little and often & it seems to be
working.

Thank you for your comments, I will let you know if the Nutri Cal works, knowing Cash he will be in that tiny minority of cats who won't like it, shake his paw at it and stalk off!

X

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 09:50:49 AM »
Have you tried the heating wet food up SLIGHTLY (10secs) in the microwave?

I tend to do this in the winter when its much colder in the kitchen, but it might help him enjoy his food more?

Not really a sensible suggestion, but as a treat I sometimes give Denzel the fat off meat  :shify: She too is slim, and picky, but always wolfs it down  ;)
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Mouse
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 20:58:25 PM »
Does he like cheese? I know they shouldn't have much due to being too fattening but my cat adores any cheese and it will certainly put the calories into him.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 20:13:21 PM »
my Trigger is 4.7kg, and is definitely on the skinny side, having a long body and legs, but he maintains that weight well, and is always after food - his problem is that he has absorption problems, and doesn't get as much nutrition from it as he should

could this be Cashie's problem? I am trying to improve Trigger's diet by cutting out all the supermarket foods, which go straight through him, and encouraging him to eat the high meat stuff Zooplus sell, mostly made in Germany - he's not that keen but I am slowly weaning him off his junk food
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 19:48:56 PM »
I work in kg... 10.5lb is 4.76kg which I think is very slightly on the light side for a male cat. My two are around 5.5kg, Riley normally a bit more (but he lost weight while in hospital) and Lu a 'chunkier' 5.5kg than Riley as he's shorter in both height and length. Cashie sounds similar to Riley in build, tall, long lean and muscular.

How about some crispy chicken skin as an occasional treat to try and fatten him up a bit?

Trish is a very experienced vet and she seemed so confident that he was in good health and in fact he weighed slightly more than he did the last time I took him down concerned about weight.

Is 10.5 lbs a good weight for an adult boycat?  I was quite surprised he weighed that much.

X

He's trying to make you look like a crazy cat lady  :evillaugh:

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 19:38:17 PM »
Thank you for that Helen, is really handy, I will order some of the Hills, or probably  the vet has some, you'd have thought the vet would have tried to sell me some on Monday, they don't usually miss a trick!

He is definitely on the thin side of ideal. He isn't skinny, I can't see his ribs  but can easily feel them, I can feel his spine but not individual vertebrae.

He is eating a little better today, has several mouthfuls and then loses interest but last night he voluntarily went to his bowl and ate a fair bit of Felix.  His Nutri Cal will be here in a day or so and certainly if I am not happy with him by the weekend he's going back to the vet for blood tests. 

He has never been a fan of cat milk sadly, in fact he has always been finicky full stop which makes it all very tricky. One day he'll love raw lamb, a few days later he will turn his nose up at it.

Trish is a very experienced vet and she seemed so confident that he was in good health and in fact he weighed slightly more than he did the last time I took him down concerned about weight.

Is 10.5 lbs a good weight for an adult boycat?  I was quite surprised he weighed that much.

X

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 15:19:47 PM »
Have you compared him to a body condition chart?

http://www.purina.co.uk/content/your-cat/helping-to-keep-your-cat-healthy/managing-your-cat%27s-weight/assessing-your-cat%27s-body-condition

http://www.purinaveterinarydiets.com/resources/files/cat_chart.pdf

Hills AD is a high calorie food designed for convalescing cats so might be worth trying him on a few tins of that, or cat milk as an 'extra' to his food?

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 13:43:29 PM »
Ah, good idea, I will try him on some RC Babycat, although no doubt he will eat a few and then shake his paw disdainfully & walk away
(very annoying habit that!)

X

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 12:58:42 PM »
kitten food is higher in calories particularly the dry stuff - I had to ween star off it when I got her! (she had been a nursing mum) and was a bit ahem sturdy!

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
Anorexic cat - NutriCal?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 12:35:44 PM »
Hi,  I mentioned in a previous post "cat Loses Weight in Summer" that I was concerned about Cashie's leanness. I took Cashie to the vet and he was pronounced very fit with beautiful teeth. He weighs 10.5 lbs but he is a large framed cat and looks so THIN, not helped by the fact that Izzy is a barrell on legs so the contrast between the two is quite shocking.

I am still not happy with how little he is eating.  Have any of you tried Nutri Cal?  I have ordered some but am wondering if any of you have any experience of it, good or bad and would also be grateful for any tips on how to get him eating a little more.

I dont want him to be a fat cat but I don't like feeling his bones when I stroke him!

Thank you

Jo
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 13:44:03 PM by jo.austin2010 »

Link to CatChat