Author Topic: Which vaccinations do older cats not need?  (Read 3147 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Which vaccinations do older cats not need?
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2013, 09:20:35 AM »
I have never had the feline leukaemia one (I know Mosi had it first time round but never since then and I think it might be the same for Jaffa).  I don't think it's necessary, esp as they are indoor cats.  Interesting about the wording on insurance policies - in general the wording always used to be along the lines of cats must be vaccinated in line with vet's recommendation which, to my mind, means that if a vet has said vaccination not necessary or not a good idea, then you would be fine.

I have used 2 catteries in the past and neither insisted on feline leukaemia vaccine.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2013, 10:23:20 AM »
I'm actually taking Buffy for her jabs today. I asked the vet about various thoughts regarding vaccination, when they had their first course. He said he doesn't give them all every year. I also asked about the injection into the leg and he said he did do that for a time but went back to injecting in the neck. 

I was quite pleased as it made me think he was up to date and willing to change his ideas.  My old vets just denied there was any possibility of a reaction of any kind to the jabs.  :shify:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 09:06:58 AM »
I have a feeling that may be the article my sister sent me a while ago Frances and I think I posted it somewhere on Purrs.

I pretty well do the same as you re vaccinations although am tempted to rethink now that none of ours are insured and very unlikely to need to go into a cattery as we don't do holidays.  I am however very unlikely to go against my vet's advice at the end of the day.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 06:55:24 AM »

Very interesting articles there Frances.  Notable that even the professional bodies cant reach an accord and that vaccination site sarcoma's were known about as long ago as 20 years or more, yet is not something that's made widely known to animal owners who take their pets in for vaccination on a regular basis. 

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 19:30:08 PM »
I'm sure I originally saw this link http://www.wsava.org/sites/default/files/VaccinationGuidelines2010.pdf about vaccination guidelines from WSAVA on another thread on Purrs, which is the closest I’ve seen to an independent view.  More articles about the subject here http://www.wsava.org/sites/default/files/2011_VetRecord_EditorialVaccination.pdf and here http://www.wsava.org/sites/default/files/2011-04_BSAVA_VaccinationPerspectives.pdf.

With Woody I did boosters on a “long year” basis – 12 to 14 months – and dropped FeLV after he got to about 9 or 10, all with the agreement of my vet.  When I restarted my mum's cat Georgie's vaccinations so that she could be put in a cattery she was 12 and didn't have FeLV.  Christopher, now 5, and James, now 7 or 8 (ish – only he knows :shify: ), were started on FeLV while they were at Paws Inn and continue to get it although I still don't hold rigidly to 12 months.

I checked the wording in my policy (NFU); they will not cover treatment, death or putting to sleep “as a result of any disease preventable by vaccination” unless the policy holder can prove appropriate vaccination.

Offline Helen M

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Bobby & Beau (Dolly RIP)
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 19:19:03 PM »

I couldnt remember all the letters  :evillaugh: I had to check each time so no idea now  :Crazy:
[/quote]

I know different manufacturers use different letters  to tell what the vaccine is for. I still have to check at times!!! ;)
Please join the Purrs save a life draw - £2 a month is all it takes!
Help the rescues to help the cats in their care plus the chance to win £££  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,38217.0.html

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2013, 19:10:57 PM »
We highly recommend that cats have FeLV but do not insist on it, when coming in for boarding.

I couldnt remember all the letters  :evillaugh: I had to check each time so no idea now  :Crazy:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2013, 14:56:57 PM »

Helen, I think that's dependent on the Insurers - when we decided not to continue with Paddy's vaccinations, we were advised by our Insurers his policy would be invalid as it was a term of insurance that all vaccinations were renewed annually.   We decided just to cancel his insurance altogether given his age and general state of health.  Definitely one to check.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2013, 14:23:24 PM »
 :thanks: Helen, something to think about for next year I guess. I've only ever used a cattery once and have gone for a pet sitter in the main but it;s nice to have there as a back up so will have to wait and see what the vet says come vaccination time  :shy:

On the insurance/vaccination front, not vaccinating wouldn't automatically invalidate your policy - it's only if the claim has arisen out of non-vaccination eg they couldn't try and avoid paying out on an even tnot connected to whether or not a cat/dog is vaccinated, say a broken leg, or heart disease for example.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 14:16:03 PM »

Excellent point Helen - like all manufacturers of drugs, pharmaceuticals and vaccines, these companies have a vested interest in keeping us buying their products, and whilst there are sound arguments in favour of vaccines, these cannot always be blanke applied to all situations.    Very tricky when a Licence to trade or insurance depends on it.

Offline Helen M

• Senior Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2013, 13:57:18 PM »
Hi Tiggy's mum,
Personally if it was my cat I would feel it was covered if the titre levels were high enough.
HOWEVER our local council's interpretation of the Animal Boarding Establishment Act 1963 (they use the Environmental Health Officers (EHO) recommendations) requires all cats to be fully vaccinated for cat flu and enteritis i.e. completed initial or restarted course and done yearly, if we do not check and confirm this we are in breach of our license and can lose it and thus our livelihood. Each local authority can interpret  the  Animal Boarding Establishment Act 1963 as it sees fit and not all apply the EHO recommendations. thus causing confusion when trading on the boundary between different councils. In addition our insurance requires all cats and rabbits to be vaccinated otherwise it is null and void as well.
Insurance polices like our licenses appear to just state rules to abide by, with no leaway for problems. I know there is much debate about how often dogs and cats should / need to be vaccinated, but until they do proper research over a long period of time 10-15 years by vaccinating cats in different ways  (initial course, initial course plus first booster, initial course plus 2 years of boosters  etc and checking titre levels over 10-15years, we probably will not get a difinative answer. In addition, the only ones probably able to do this kind of research in sufficient numbers is probably the vaccine manufacturers and it is not in their interest to reduce the need to vaccinate!!!
I hope this is of assistance
Help the rescues to help the cats in their care plus the chance to win £££  :wow:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2013, 08:24:02 AM »
Good catch Sue.

Current wording in Axa policy Helen is "You must ensure that Your Pet is vaccinated each year against distemper, hepatitis, leptospirosis and parvovirus for dogs and feline infectious enteritis, feline leukaemia and cat flu for cats" 

Hardly need tell you Helen to ensure you get something in writing from Axa covering Riley if vet advises against vaccinating  :hug: :hug: :hug:  Don't forget to explain that garden is cat proofed.....

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 07:27:30 AM »

Our vet holds the view that vaccinating older cats who have had regular vaccinations over their lifetime is unnecessary, but I would add that many insurances are invalidated if a cat's vaccinations are not kept up to date annually, which is an additional thing to think about, as well as cattery requirements.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 19:44:29 PM »
We highly recommend that cats have FeLV but do not insist on it, when coming in for boarding.

On a similar note can I ask a question about catteries and vaccinations in general please... As Riley's seaizures are likely the result of an immine mediated process I asked about vaccinations in the future and the vet said it might be an idea to have a titre test done to see if he still has 'protection'. If it showed he still had protection and a decision was made not to vaccinate on health grounds would a cattery accept this (written proof from the vets that he still had protection) instead of a vaccination certificate?

Offline Helen M

• Senior Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 19:27:28 PM »

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 21:05:59 PM »
The one I use does Im sure so best to check  :hug:

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 14:49:05 PM »
the catteries I have used don't insist on the FelV vaccination

. . . nor does the one I've used.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 12:06:32 PM »
the catteries I have used don't insist on the FelV vaccination, so dropping that one shouldn't cause any problems in that respect

I would be worried if I knew I couldn't use a cattery, because there is always the chance of needing one in an emergency,  even if there are normally other people around to look after them
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 11:54:55 AM »
Ah, okay, that's useful to know.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 11:53:22 AM »
if they need to go to a cattery everything must be up to date as I found out with Floddy who is 18 a quick rush to the vet fpr her booster as she was in kennels whenI was in Baku and bless she is senile!!!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 10:46:59 AM »
Thanks. My two are due for their boosters next month, and I don't want them to have anything they don't need.

I really can't remember if I asked the vet last year!
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 10:03:52 AM »
thats what my vets says

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 09:47:58 AM »
I think I'm right in saying, by that age, it is quite likely a cat has built up own immunity to feline leukaemia virus so I believe that is the vaccination that can be considered of less importance.   

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
Which vaccinations do older cats not need?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 09:35:40 AM »
I know this has been mentioned before but I can't find the thread, sorry.

I'm sure that once a cat is over 10, s/he doesn't need all the vaccinations a younger cat does -  does anyone know which one(s) they don't need?

:thanks:

Link to CatChat