Author Topic: Not well again  (Read 2376 times)

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Mouse
Re: Not well again
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2013, 13:00:35 PM »
Thanks Dotty. She's really well right now, no infection or inflammation. She's actually acting like a young cat now and she hasn't for ages! She's chasing flies and rolling around on her back  :Luv:
I'll keep up with the yogurt, she really loves it so it won't be difficult for her.

Offline DottyyBB

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Dotty and Blue. My other lovelies Dixie,Jasper & Rosie R.I.P
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2013, 09:48:16 AM »
This condition seems to be life long, I hope that it can be managed to keep her discomfort to a minimum. I'm sure you will do all you can for her......bless her and you.....It sounds like there will be alot of medication involved, I would definitely carry on with the yogurt too or ask your vet if they can suggest a immune booster for her  :hug: :hug:

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2013, 20:58:25 PM »
Yes the vet thinks she has a thing call Pemphagus not sure of the correct spelling  :-[
She may be on steroids for the rest of her life. The vet is coming again on tues x

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 15:07:13 PM »
glad the infection has gone, amber has to have her yoghurt a few times a week, she loves it!

Offline DottyyBB

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2013, 15:02:07 PM »
Arrrr that's great news. Is the nail bed infection something she has regularly? It's sounds quite painful when it's at it's peak.......Poor little mite.... :sick:

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 07:27:08 AM »
Thanks DottyB. Her antibiotics have finished now and they cleared the infection so no harm done. phew.
She absolutely love the yogurt though and has it twice a day (just a few teaspoons)

Offline DottyyBB

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 17:37:00 PM »
Here is a link for you to have a look at:

http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/probiotics-a-dietary-powerhouse-for-your-cat/

Very informative website.....I hope it helps put your mind at rest and gets your little one back to their normal self soon.  :hug:

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 21:53:35 PM »
It was only a teaspoonful at a time so hopefully not enough to counteract the antibiotic. I've given her those lick e licks with her meds this eve and she took it fine. She does love the yoghurt so i'll give her a little later.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 18:42:25 PM »
Seems like there is lots of conflicting information out there. Some people say it's fine, others say not. Some say it's ok if you don't take them at the same time. One site was recommending a 4 hour gap between them. This is all for humans though couldn't find anything about cats. 

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 17:45:20 PM »
Oh no! I hope I haven't been giving knocking out the antibiotic effect. I'll stop giving it her at the same time and wait a few hours after. I've googled just now and I can't see much about it so hopefully it's ok. Thanks x

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 01:58:29 AM »
Sorry for not getting back.

I dont know if Sheila is right but wouldnt think the yogurt is strong enough to have an anti effect .  Think mine have had probiotics after abs injections.

A little search om internet may give an answer

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 15:11:58 PM »
Not sure about this but someone once told me not to put antibiotics with probiotics as they neutralise each other in the stomach? Best to dose her mess then give the probiotic when the meds have had chance to absorb into her system.
Always happy to be corrected, mind  ;)

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 20:54:57 PM »
Success with the yoghurt, she loved it! I put her antibiotic in it too and she ate the lot. Thanks for that tip x

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 18:10:47 PM »
Ah great, I have some natural yoghurt so will see what she thinks.
Thanks for the good wishes, I think the steroid has really helped, she's chatting away nicely again.  :Luv:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 09:49:11 AM »
yes mine love yoghurt, even just normal supermarket live yoghurt is ok

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 21:11:26 PM »
Poor little thing :care: Glad she seems to be moving in the right direction  :hug:

You can buy probiotic pastes or powders from the vets. If Mouse likes youghurt you could also try a probiotic plain yoghurt such as Activia, a few teaspoons a day. Not a good idea if she's lactose intolerant though!

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 16:50:24 PM »
Better news from the vet today. Just a small amount of infection left in toe and they gave her a steroid injection, another course of antibiotics and a nail trim.
Can I buy something that contains probiotics Gill?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 15:45:09 PM »
Hope the vet can help but also abs can cause the tummy probs abd she may need a probiotic to help get this back to normal  :hug:

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
Not well again
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 14:14:51 PM »
 :(
My poor cat has not long finished two lots of antibiotics for nail bed infections, she seemed much better and I was hoping that would be the last of it. The vet did wonder at the last visit if she had some immune problems that was causing the infections.
Last night Mouse started with the same behaviour as she did a few weeks ago when the infections first started, hissing and crying and holding up her leg. I gave her some metacam and she calmed down but still isn't right today. I've just noticed that she has all faeces around her bottom so cut it off and she cried and hissed at me. I'm just wondering now if this is what the crying was about last night because she wasn't clean.
She's seeing the vet tomorrow so hopefully some light can be shed on it all.

Link to CatChat