Author Topic: Litter trays again!  (Read 1676 times)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
Re: Litter trays again!
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 15:24:00 PM »
That is interesting, Alcatraz. Cleo likes only smooth foods and she is one of the stinkiest cats I have known!  :sick:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 13:44:08 PM »
You could go for a bigger deeper tray (as recommended in this thread).

With regards to litter I really like Tigerino Nuggies from Zooplus really fine, clumps amazingly so you just scoop our the lumps which means it lasts a lot longer, smells like baby power and works out really good value if you buy the 2 x 14kg bag @ £13.90 (this does sound expensive but I have three litter trays and 1 of these bags lasts at least a month so overall it works out cheaper than the "cheap clay litter"

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter/clumping_litter/tigerino/59535
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Alcatraz

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Butch and Sundance
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 13:26:38 PM »
We have the trays with lids and doors.  They keep most smells contained and the litter doesn't track too far.  If you can find an old piece of carpet or a doormat, it's worth putting it in front of the door as it'll collect most of the litter.

We go for Catsan as it doesn't have it's own aroma and (more importantly) we can buy it at the local supermarket.

Food will make a big difference on the smell.  Apparently some of the "sloppier" foods can get licked up without the cats having to chew and thus not getting fully broken down before they're passed, resulting in bad smells.  When our two went onto a raw diet, the smell (or lack thereof) of the poos was the first thing we noticed, amazing!

Offline Jo43

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Henry and Jinxy, Sam (wee man) 1996-2012 R.I.P, Tipsy 1996-2013 R.I.P
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 12:17:09 PM »
ok I see - I owned 2 cats for 16-17 years and we didn't have issues with litter (we just used cheap clay stone type) but Tipsy was delicate lady, these 2 boys are on another level! Are these hooded boxes good at keeping place clean not sure if I want to spend any more money - already bed hasn't been looked at..and more importantly will they use this type or not know what it is..

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 11:55:51 AM »
I use wood pellet, clumping clay - it smells like baby powder and paper litter the Clan are a fussy lot but I have plastic under the boxes and makes sweeping it up easier and that is even from high sided and hooded boxes as some of my boys are 7kgs plus and do love to bury to Australia
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 11:47:12 AM »
oh yes and everyone has a favourite! I'd tried about 15 different types but that is the one i get best results with, obviously you have to scoop it but it leaves everything that is left behind clean

Offline Jo43

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Henry and Jinxy, Sam (wee man) 1996-2012 R.I.P, Tipsy 1996-2013 R.I.P
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 11:45:45 AM »
Thanks I will order some of this didn't realise there was so many different types - even pink lol!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 11:33:13 AM »
all of mine are different on that front, some smellier than others!  its down to all sorts of things, including how they get on with whatever you are feeding them - I use cats best oko and find it best for odour control

Offline Jo43

• Adult Cat
Litter trays again!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 11:21:42 AM »
Hi there I have homed 2 new ginger boys both neutered.  Can I ask is it normal to have such a strong smell when they pee and esp poop.  The smell is bad every time they go.  Also they are kicking it all over the kitchen floor including clumps!  We used the sawdust type 1st which I didn't like now we are using the clay type stones which we used with our other cats.  Can I ask what is preferable with most people?  I also have been using litter deodoriser.  Many thanks.

Link to CatChat