Author Topic: Cat standing up to wee in litter - spraying!  (Read 5027 times)

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
Re: Cat standing up to wee in litter - spraying!
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 13:22:16 PM »
My Raffiki does this too - so glad my litter trays are covered !!
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 10:33:30 AM »
Jaffa does this too.  Sometimes he squats but at other times he sprays the back or side of the tray.  I do have a covered tray in one room but I also have a large storage box without the lid and cut down so that the back and sides are high but the front is low for them to step over and no top.  Useful for cats who aren't keen on enclosed litter trays.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 09:33:28 AM »
You could try an Igloo  (carrier / litter tray all in one)  http://igloopets.com/

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Laurensimm

• Adult Cat
Cat standing up to wee in litter - spraying!
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 08:40:40 AM »
Thank you I will be having a look at the different types of tray on my lunch 😋I guess the high sided one is only good if he consistently wees the same way around! Little butter aren't they? Love them to bits though 😻😻

Offline Laurensimm

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 08:37:53 AM »
Thanks Sam the extra deep one looks good. He poss is just being lazy because he does sometimes sit down!

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 08:24:16 AM »
I suspect your mum would prefer a hooded tray rather than wee all over the place!  They are quite big, but I think it might be the only way you're going to solve it.  You might be lucky and be able to find a high-backed tray which just happens to be high on the side he sprays - mine spreads it far and wide so it had to be fully hooded. It took a few months to dawn on me what was happening, but when I swapped to a hooded tray I've had no problems with them using it. You can get them with a 'cat flap' entrance, although I took this off so the front is open, as they didn't like that at all, and Milly likes to turn round and stand with her front feet on the entrance and her head outside while she does her business  :rofl:  mine is from zooplus, it's a really robust one which has locks to attach the top to the base and a handle so it's easy to carry around, but it is pretty big.

Offline Laurensimm

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 08:16:38 AM »
Thanks - its just a standard tray with no lid. It's quite large though as they aren't small cats but they do share. Do you think he would go in it if they have never had one with a lid/hood? I don't have a massive house so if they aren't too big I could look into it. The only problem is they sometimes go on sleepovers to their nan and grandads (lol) and I'm not sure my mum would like a hooded tray being carted about ... I know it sounds weird them going on sleepovers but I live alone and they have them for me if I'm out all night. They have been having sleepovers since they were 8 weeks old and really don't seem to mind. They are as happy there as at home except they can't go out at my mums.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 08:15:38 AM »
Sound like he's just not really mastered the art of sitting down to wee  :rofl: (or he's just lazy) .... have you tried a bigger litter tray or even a hooded litter might be the answer

argos do large litter trays :  http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8708122.htm

and Zooplus have lots of different types here's one type:  http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter_litter_boxes/litter_boxes_nofilter/98035
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 08:07:14 AM »
Is the litter box covered? Do they share one?  I have one who does this, if he goes out in the garden to wee, he squats and does it 'normally' but if he is doing it in the house, he will go into the litter tray but instead of squatting, he stands up and sprays out the back.  I ended up getting a covered litter tray with a lid and that solved it for me as he still stands up and sprays, but now it just runs down the back and into the tray.  Just make sure you buy a decent tray with a good seal where the lid goes on!  Other things to try might be an additional tray, some cats don't like sharing a tray so he may be trying to mark it as 'his', but it sounds very much like the problem I was having with mine.  Good luck!

Offline Laurensimm

• Adult Cat
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 07:01:12 AM »
Does anyone know why one of my cats does this? He steps into his litter tray to have a wee (a proper long wee) but rather than crouching down and weeing in the litter, like his brother does, I sometimes catch him stood up with his tail in the air, spraying a full on wee outside the box, onto the cupboards and floor!

He's not in pain when he wees and is overall a happy boy. He doesn't spray around the house and he has been neutered. They are both 21 months old. He is more territorial than his brother though and I do see him marking his territory outside with the side of his face and actual spraying.

He doesn't always do this but quite often if he's been inside I will find that he has done it outside of the box and its all over the floor and under the doormat! I don't get it because he's making the effort to get in the litter box.

Any ideas? I had to put my hand on his rear this morning while he was doing it and force his backside downwards. He wasn't bothered, just carried on regardless.

Thanks!

Link to CatChat