Author Topic: Cat loses weight in Summer  (Read 1828 times)

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Cash, Izzy and Scruffycat the stray.
Re: Cat loses weight in Summer
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 19:47:38 PM »
He has moulted a bit but no, he definitely has lost weight, I can feel his spine a bit when I stroke him.

He seems otherwise fine and in fact, now you mention metabolism, he does dash around rather a lot at the moment, even in the heat, he has a mad ten minutes several times a day and his appetite is a little diminished so I suppose everything added together leads to a slimline Cashcat.

He is never overweight anyway, he tends towards the lean side.  If he loses any more he will have to go to the vet again, even though it happens every Summer I can't take any risks, one year it may be something more serious God forbid.

Izzy has lost nothing the little minx, she really is a greedy little madam.

Thank you for your views, seems other cats do it too so I won't stress too much.

X

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 16:14:36 PM »
I wish Tiffany would lose a bit of weight

neither waist nor waste are in her vocabularly, alas :(

summer weight loss could be down to increased metabolism, I suppose
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 16:10:35 PM »
doG, I don't want Alfie to beef up any more, I can hardly lift him as it is!  :shocked:

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 10:34:57 AM »
Is it not just his summer coat making him look svelte?  ;)

I have noticed changes in the seasons with mine, but haven't weighed them regularly. Maybe they do beef up a bit to keep them warm in the winter  :evillaugh:
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 08:25:46 AM »
I have the same problem with Molly. In winter she's like a barrel on legs but last summer she was eating like a horse but getting skinnier by the day. I was so worried  :( Took her to the vets, he did a blood test which came back negative for everything. Autumn comes along and Molly starts piling on the weight again.

This summer has been exactly the same. I go to Greece twice a year and see all the skinny cats out there and at the moment Molly looks like one of them. She's her normal self in every other way and as I said before still eating as she does all year.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 08:26:15 AM by Tigerlily (Allison) »
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 13:06:10 PM »
my oscar is a greedy boy (his waist is long gone!) he goes around by three girls plates and finishes whatever is left - Tilly is pretty slim she is bengal and musclar but with a waist for sure

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 12:57:43 PM »
Oh but it really cuts in at the moment, maybe he just looks extra lean because Izzy is a bit of a porker, it is so hard when you have one greedy little madam and one rather finicky boy, he won't eat if the door is closed (what is it about cats and closed doors?) and she polishes off everything he doesn't eat immediately, even while she is eating hers she is looking at what he's got!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 12:53:43 PM »
mine certainly eat less in summer - I think you are supposed to see a waist from above!

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
Cat loses weight in Summer
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 12:51:43 PM »
My 5 year old neutered boycat Cash loses quite an alarming amount of weight in the warmer weather, it happens every Summer and he puts it back on again in the Autumn. His appetite is a little reduced but doesn't really explain the weight loss.  I have never had this with any other cat before.

Does anybody else have the same experience.  I worry every Summer and take him to the vet only to be told there is nothing wrong and that in fact he is perfect (vets do like cats to be on the lean side don't they?) but I hate seeing the cutting in at his waist, it looks scary from above.

Any experiences anybody can share would be welcome.

Thank you X

Link to CatChat