Author Topic: Raw meat diet for cat with sensitive tummy?  (Read 3033 times)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Re: Raw meat diet for cat with sensitive tummy?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2013, 19:10:34 PM »
If yours won't eat chicken wings on their own they can be minced up (bones and all) and added to a bit of raw beef mince.  Most cats love this.   ;)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2013, 18:59:56 PM »
Some how I didnt think so  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Moustache, the Flick and Hairy Pants!
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 10:34:27 AM »

Madam will eat raw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  .

Ive yet to see this in action, shes not been interested so far  :shocked:

Offline Alcatraz

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Butch and Sundance
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 08:42:58 AM »
Thanks for the links sam, they are really useful. Just got to try to figure out how to get them to eat it. Tried chicken tonight to no avail, when hubby gets in im going to ask him to cut up the liver and kidney and we will hopefully have more luck with that!

Try mixing a bit of their favourite food in and eventually changing the ratios so it's pure raw.  Or try different meats.  Both ours love offal and one is mad for chicken while his brother has more expensive taste and prefers beef and lamb.

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 07:26:34 AM »
Thanks for the link - there is a stockist about 3 miles away!
I'll pop down there over the weekend as I'm running out of natural instinct and pouches will stay fresher.

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 22:15:40 PM »
Thanks for the links sam, they are really useful. Just got to try to figure out how to get them to eat it. Tried chicken tonight to no avail, when hubby gets in im going to ask him to cut up the liver and kidney and we will hopefully have more luck with that!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 21:55:08 PM »
Hmmm aloe is supposed to be good for that as well. Looks like I am getting my act together and asking the moderators very nicely about putting a link or info page up in return for me making an appropriate payment.

Is Natures Menu a complete raw food Sam?

Yes they do a raw complete ... new product, check the link to the website for more details xx

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 21:42:58 PM »
Hmmm aloe is supposed to be good for that as well. Looks like I am getting my act together and asking the moderators very nicely about putting a link or info page up in return for me making an appropriate payment.

Is Natures Menu a complete raw food Sam?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 21:17:41 PM »
I would try and get Jonny on raw as from what I have read it is probably the best thing for him.   I am considering switching my lot (or at least Foxy) onto raw as she has colitis.  You might find this link helpful:   http://www.holisticat.com/ibd.html

If you want to switch to raw Natures Menu do pouches http://naturesmenu.co.uk/

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 20:37:34 PM »
Our elderly feral clive was straight in as was Maggie. Maddie had a piece no problem.....but could i get the two in question to eat it? Could i 'eck  >:( after 20 mins jesse managed a single tiny morsel, but spend the whole time rubbing against my legs. Jonny didnt seem in the slightest bit interested. Thing is they ate some applaws at 2pm no problems. Ive got one applaws tin left and im wondering whether to try to mix the two? Any ideas? Minutes after clive cleaned up i spotted jesse eating JWB biscuits   :doh:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 16:49:58 PM »
Delicate tumms are a real problem as I know with Lupin and I really wouldnt change anything once they are settled.

Madam will eat raw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :rofl: :rofl:

Mine wont touch it, none of them.

Offline Alcatraz

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Butch and Sundance
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 15:54:07 PM »
My two are raw fed and although they don't have ailments, they are certainly better off for it.  Less (no) wind, better smelling poos and lovely coats.

You could always try lightly poached or roasted chicken if the delicate stomach doesn't approve.

A good facebook group to try is http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/CatCrap/ as they are pretty knowledgeable on illnesses

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 13:17:18 PM »
Its after reading your post Louise, that got me thinking! Jesse has had all sorts of meds and tests from the vets but nothing worked really, however i did notice Jesse was happier in himself after eating applaws wet food but kept him on JWB as i worry about him eating a complete Diet. Jonny on the other hand is the one with a sensitive tum and can only eat JWB as far as i know. I will start both off with a few raw titbits and see how they go before moving the whole gang on to it! Luckily most of them will eat anything!

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 12:58:39 PM »
I've got Simba on raw (and aloe vera juice and occasional bee propolis) for the same reason but my girls turn their noses up so remain on pouches.
Raw is supposed to be good for them in general and you have to gradually move then over (Simba was on it at the rescue) so you'd soon be able to tell if Jonny got upset on it.
Good luck and have a look at my post on it as I got a huge amount of help and info 

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
Raw meat diet for cat with sensitive tummy?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 11:15:06 AM »
After reading up about raw meat diet being good for a cat with severe gingivitis, we are hoping to move our cats on it. Jesse is only 3 years old but has severe gingivitis. He has been eating applaws as well as his JWB biscuits but im keen to put him on a raw diet as i think he really would benefit from it. Knowing my cats, what one gets, they all want so it would be ideal if they could all eat it.....but im worried about Jonny. Jonny has a very sensitive tummy and has JWB as anything else causes his tummy to swell up, his third eyelid is permanently out, he sleeps almost constantly and he has the most horrendous wind  :sick: should i try Jonny on raw or not risk it?

Link to CatChat