Author Topic: Cat still not accepting puppy, please help  (Read 1407 times)

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
Re: Cat still not accepting puppy, please help
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 22:29:09 PM »
Does your dog have a crate only asking as I have introduced 3 puppies to the Clan cats in the last 6 years - Sky is 6, Sunny is 4 and Mistral is 2 - they are Border collies so we started crate training so they could have time out but still be involved and we could shut the door if required - I have 3 crates in my lounge for the boys and they can be found curled up with a feral or 2 most nights

I also kept the dogs on leads when doing the intro's so the cats could investigate but I had control of the dog - once they dogs had mastered the no worked the lead was removed if over familiar with the cats the ferals clawed puppy noses!!!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 20:42:13 PM »
I would suggest trying some Pet Remedy ... it's good for pet dogs / cats / horses / people ..... it might help to relax all involved and allow them to bond http://www.petremedy.co.uk/

If you use facebook you can read some of the great reviews:  https://www.facebook.com/petremedy?fref=ts
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 20:58:55 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 17:23:14 PM »
I'm afraid that I don't have any advice, just want to wish you all the best with this.

Offline Inle

• Kitten
Cat still not accepting puppy, please help
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 17:19:01 PM »
hi guys,
we have a female cat Rosie, Russian Blue cross, who will soon be 2 years old. 3 months ago we got a puppy Winston, Rottweiler. we had him from 8 weeks old and he has turned 5 month last weekend.
Rosie at first seemed to be rather interested in him but as time went she just decided to have the upstairs of the house to herself leaving him downstairs. we made the introductions very slowly, keeping the puppy in one room at first with closed door letting them both get used to the smells ect, then opening the door but putting a babygate in the door way for security.
Rosie doesnt come downstairs often, she sits on the stairs, maeows but doesnt join us. we made attempts at bringing her in the front room with us so she spends time with us and learns there is nothing to be afraid off. Winston is very curious towards her, wants to play with her and smell her but she growls and hisses when he gets close and leaves at first opportunity.
Winston is very good around her, obeys commands and he is gentle and never hurt anyone.
as far as i have been reading online everyone seems to say to give it a few weeks and 'they just work it out' however that is clearly not the case as it has been 3 months and despite giving my kitty space and taking things slow at her own pace nothing has progressed at all. and so i am afraid for the future.
she has her food and toilet uptairs and she is happy and comfortable there, we have not let her outside yet, as this is a new house we moved to not so long ago and we dont want to let her out before she is comfortable with Winston as we are afraid she may not come back.
also for the first year of her life she was very closely bonded with our rabbit with whom they were absolute besties, played and slept together. however out bunny died a year ago. but this makes me assume that in some way she is used to having company even if it is other animal species.
i just dont know what i can do to make things better and push things along? as i am afraid that this may be a permanent stalemate?
please give me some advise if you have been in a similar situation or have experience regarding this? and how long would you say it took for your pets to bond?
many thanks

Link to CatChat