Author Topic: Sick....  (Read 2388 times)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
Re: Sick....
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 14:05:48 PM »
I remember Sly telling his cat friends about his wobblee legs, I'm sorry to hear that this is an ongoing problem :(

How terrible to lose Bass like that!

:hug:   :hug:

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat
  • A meow massages the heart
  • Slave to: Motown, Drum & our beautiful baby Bass RIP
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 08:05:51 AM »
Thanks Sheila... I'm sorry about Sly   :'( bless him... We still don't know what happened with Bass aLs she was gone when we found her, she had a murmur that the vet advised was just to be monitored, then she just died in the night and was only 2...
Cats are so resilient though, look at the cat with two legs! Guess you just have to take it in your stride.... :hug:
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 09:59:46 AM »
If you want to insure him, then take this minor episode in your stride. Gastro illness is not usually something that would require insurance to cover. Usually injuries related to accidents, bladder infections and later life onset illnesses are what cost the money, and these issues would still be covered.

Your vet will have noted his record that the episode was a one-off and therefore not a chronic condition.

If I were you I'd shop around for the policy you want and tell the insurers he's had a bout of "kitten tummy", I'm sure it won't affect the premium too much.  :)

I've insured my accident prone "outside" boys and they cost me £35 per month due to their rather chequered history, this means I cannot afford to insure the other 5, but we have a fund for their vet treatment which does cover their costs. If a big bill comes in for one of them we'll cope with it when it happens.

I wish I'd insured Sly when he was young, though, but didn't because a vet diagnosed a minor heart murmur. Since then he's developed a neurological disease which affects his legs and the prognosis is not too good, so despite him only being 4 years old and otherwise healthy, his medical treatment is going to get expensive as the diagnostics can only be achieved by MRI scan. This would have been covered despite the early diagnosis of heart murmur so we stand to be seriously out of pocket when his wobbly legs finally become too weak and surgery is needed.

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 19:55:04 PM »
Thanks Dotty, that may be our only choice now... :(

Offline DottyyBB

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Dotty and Blue. My other lovelies Dixie,Jasper & Rosie R.I.P
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 18:49:12 PM »
Hmmm Pet Insurance.......A bit of a sore point for me. I don't have any insurance on my two, instead they have there own little bank account which I put money into every month to cover any unfortunate incidents and touch wood nothing yet. With this, no waiting time, no limited cover or anything that a insurance company decides that is not covered from one week to the next. My advice would be cancel your insurance and make your own fund up, I know that it's a fixed fee when you take out insurance each month but you still have to pay any excess which for minor visits you don't get back. Also you get interest on their health fund bank account which insurances companies don't give. Food for your thought....I hope this helps..... :hug:

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 18:06:02 PM »
Thanks Dotty! He's fine today and even forgiven us! He isn't shedding particularly but Drum on the other hand is, and her fur is EVERYWHERE! It's a constant battle!
THe pooey thing is that we had a 3 month clause on our insurance against gastro illness that they would remove in sept if he isn't ill but now his record will say he has had a tummy issue (even though we only medicated to be safe)bit worried they now won't ever insure him against tummy issues even though he's only ever had kitteny runny poo and grass eating sickness :( not sure what to do now....  >:(

Offline DottyyBB

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Dotty and Blue. My other lovelies Dixie,Jasper & Rosie R.I.P
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 17:55:26 PM »
Sounds definitely like a furball episode....Is Mo moulting alot? Both Dotty & Blue have been sick over the last couple of weeks due to furballs. I give my two Whiskas Hairball treats which they both love and also paste which you can get from Pets at home or any pet shop, it seems to ease any build up of fur in the stomach as this is what makes them sick. Glad though to see that Mo has been self medicating on grass, when cats eat grass you know that they have tummy ache as there is something in grass that makes a cat sick and this is why they eat it as a cleanser. I hope he is back to normal soon if not already..... :hug: :hug:

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 18:33:25 PM »
Thanks all!

We went to the vet, better safe than sorry! He has a bit of a temp but that could have been stress and he has slightly swollen glands but that could be teething... anyway, we opted for an anti sickness injection and long acting antibiotic in case of infection. He's now sulking behind the sofa... getting him in the carrier was quite traumatic so he's really not happy with us *sigh*
Couldn't feel anything in his abdomen or anything though... so not too worried. Have cancelled out bbq plans tomorrow to watch him though...

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 15:25:18 PM »
Almost certainly a furball he's trying to bring up.

Pursley is 17 now and she's always made a point of munching on grass to make herself puke, and invariably there's a furball after two or three days trying.  :sick:

The real danger is when you don't spot one on the kitchen floor and slip on it   :grrrrrr:

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 15:07:06 PM »
he may have a furball? My cat was sick 4 times in the middle of the night this week and a big furball was wrapped up in it :sick:

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 12:50:53 PM »
Well... Not generally but we just have been leaving a few weaning biscuits out overnight for him since he arrived to make sure he's not hungry as he's still young....  That said he seems to have also taken a liking to Drums dental biccies, need to keep telling him to get down!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 11:35:59 AM »
Ah you are a grazing household.  No grazing allowed here since Noni arrived  :(  ;)

Yes good idea to insure him asap. 

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 11:29:33 AM »
Thanks rosella, he's napping now & not being sick, he also had biccies overnight which were all gone so he has eaten in last 12 hrs so I think he's just eaten grass, will get some chicken and try feed him tonight. And insure him today! ;)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 11:24:47 AM »
I don't know what your vet visiting times are like at weekends and when emergency prices kick in.  I tend to get over cautious on weekends at our vet closes around noon on Saturdays and then left with VetsNow which has extortionate consult fees. 

The fact that he is bouncing about probably means he is fine but as you say, he is only 4 months old and if he was ours I would prefer a vet gave him a quick once over in normal hours surgery esp if he isn't drinking in current weather  :hug:  If you are already into expensive out of hours cover, I'd wait and see if he eats/drinks tonight. 

Pretty sure vet would say bring him in as just not possible to say what's up without a check over to test his temp etc  :hug:

Hope he'll start eating again soon  :hug:

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat
Sick....
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 11:00:20 AM »
Hey guys

Just a quick one, Mo has been sick 4 times in a row this morning, he hasn't eaten his breakfast or drunk anything either. He seems fine otherwise, bounding about... Some of it had grass in it and he has been outside the last few days in our enclosure. He's up to date with all jabs and we wormed him about  week ago. Do you think it's ok just to keep an eye for now or do I need to be rushing to the vets.. I'm still investigating which insurer to switch him to so hoping its nothing serious! Should I try him on some plain chicken? He's only 4 months so don't want him to go too long without anything...

B

Link to CatChat