Author Topic: Longterm sore leg :(  (Read 1729 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Longterm sore leg :(
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 01:32:32 AM »
Then maybe there is no problem and you are worrying about him too much  ;D

Offline Bluemoon

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Jumpy, Pixie, Gracie & Bogey
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 23:35:42 PM »
Scans, xrays, blood tests.............what does your vet say?

It may be worth taking him for a second opinion to another vet.

Can you take a small video on your phone to show the vet?

None of us are vets so all we can do is give you hints or tips based on our experience but we recommend that you get a good vets advice. A vet that talks in language you understand and talks to you and not at you and one willing to discuss things. Make a list of questions to ask cos one often forgets while in a stressful situation.

He may also have pulled something and if so that takes a while to get better.

As I mentioned below, the vet says his cyst had been pulling on all the muscles on his back end. He's already had an Xray of the area for his cyst, which was clear apart from a small dent in the bone on his pelvis just where the cyst was, and the vet said it looks like he was born with the cyst.

A video is a good idea but there's not much to see - apart from the times I've seen him lying with one leg stretched out. Sometimes he may flinch a bit if you touch the leg and sometimes when I am putting him down after a cuddle, I hear a click like his hip or leg is clicking! I am sure he could've pulled something when he fell out of the window in his previous home, but I'm not sure what :( He was approx 3 months old at the time, so it could've affected his development in several ways.

Tonight he is just about as lively and bouncy as you could imagine - I've just spent nearly 2 Hours following him around the street trying to call him in for the night!!!!!!!!!! (Finally succeeded!!!)  8)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 22:18:01 PM »
Scans, xrays, blood tests.............what does your vet say?

It may be worth taking him for a second opinion to another vet.

Can you take a small video on your phone to show the vet?

None of us are vets so all we can do is give you hints or tips based on our experience but we recommend that you get a good vets advice. A vet that talks in language you understand and talks to you and not at you and one willing to discuss things. Make a list of questions to ask cos one often forgets while in a stressful situation.

He may also have pulled something and if so that takes a while to get better.

Offline Bluemoon

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 20:46:17 PM »
Sorry I cant help but its your vet that you should be asking, he should be doing tests and getting the right treatment

Do you know what tests they could do to find out the cause?
He has been back and forth to the vet loads of times with his cyst and then for ongoing diarrhoea (both sorted now thankfully) but he has never seemed to have the leg problem at the time of going to the vet. He doesn't limp and can walk and run fine, but after exercise it does seem like he is sore. I thought it might just take some time to heal after his cyst operation, but maybe he should have some further treatment, I just don't know how they can find out the cause.  :shocked:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 20:23:18 PM »
Sorry I cant help but its your vet that you should be asking, he should be doing tests and getting the right treatment

Offline Bluemoon

• Adult Cat
Longterm sore leg :(
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 16:11:35 PM »
My 1 and a half year old cat Jumpy has a recurring problem with his back legs, I'm not sure if it's just one of them or both, but sometimes when he has been outdoors alot climbing fences, he will seem to walk stiffly and sometimes has to stretch out on the floor. Sometimes he stretches one leg out behind him. It only happens when he's been very active and is intermittent. It's not like he's had a recent injury though, it's something he's always had... we got him at 4 months old and he does have a slightly funny walk on his back legs. He had a cyst removed from his spine last year, which he'd had since a kitten - and we think it was either caused or made worse by a fall he had in his previous home, from a 2nd storey towerblock window!!  :shocked:
So we think the leg issues are related to this. The vet said, when he removed the cyst, that it had been pulling on all the muscles on his back end. I feel it has stopped his leg muscles developing properly, but I just want to know what I can do???  :scared:
I am using Arthriaid gel which he (luckily) enjoys and licks off a spoon, but it's meant to be for Arthritis... I don't know if it will work for him. Could it be a tendon problem or something else, and does anyone know what the vet might be able to do to help him??   :shocked:

Link to CatChat