Author Topic: when do you consider a cat to be lost? advice please..............HOME AGAIN  (Read 2487 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.

Aw, well that's just lovely.   :Luv:

Gill, I know what you mean.  I see quite a few cats on my way into work in the mornings, lounging at the sides of the roads, or sauntering across glaring at the traffic.  makes my heart spin.

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Licky, Fudge, Sugar, Candy (RIP Miss C)
Re: when do you consider a cat to be lost? advice please..............
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 12:49:00 PM »

Of course you'll worry.  I think we all do, those of us who have cats who go out, any road.   :hug: :hug:

( :sneaky: So - Licky's girlfriend is a Princess eh?  ;) :evillaugh:)

Haha. That her name so i guess so. She visits our house but i dont feed her and she sleeps next to him in the garden. Her brother is named Prince. Both tabby cats but big.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
I did try and change the title but it didnt work.......sigh

Yes roads and cats do not mix well but in London I know many cats who spent most of their lives rroaming round my block, including Kocka my cat, they seemed to be more aware than cats here and the traffic ironically wasnt so heavy  or fast being off a side road.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 11:36:57 AM »

Of course you'll worry.  I think we all do, those of us who have cats who go out, any road.   :hug: :hug:

( :sneaky: So - Licky's girlfriend is a Princess eh?  ;) :evillaugh:)

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 11:06:49 AM »
With both Candy and Licky being on medication i keep them in over night as its a night time med. Saying that Candy would not come in last night but she was on the front. Tried to get her in but ended up with Princess visiting (lickys gf) so i thought sod it and Candy came in for breakfast and now snoozing in the back garden under table. Licky is top cat but i have a tight bond with jim. When he is scared he hides in my armpit or tries to get in my top. Plus he loves food, so i know he wouldnt be gone too long. The street is busy at school times so naturally i worry. Just glad to have them aroubd. I dontind them being out all day ans night a long as i see them once in a while thru the day. X

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 10:48:26 AM »
Delighted both wanderers are safe & sound  :)

Returning to your question:

How long til you consider your cat to be lost?

I think the answer depends on the habits of the particular cat and the weather.  No help at all am I?  :)

We have 8 cats and all allowed indoor/outdoor access 24/7.  I think, even with the worst wanderers in our house, I'd start worrying after 24 hours but I know for certain that others are in the awful position of having cats that regularly wander off for days without giving a hoot for their slaves feelings ...........

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 06:51:23 AM »

So pleased they both turned up safe and well - sounds to me like they were taking advantage of the lovely warmth and sunshine.   :hug: :hug:  Cats turn us inside out, and yet we love them nontheless.   :innocent:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
So pleased and I will change the title for you  ;D ;D

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
Re: when do you consider a cat to be lost? advice please
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 21:40:32 PM »
That is great news, thanks for letting us know!  :briggin:

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 20:43:00 PM »
Great news ;D They like to worry us don't they :evillaugh:

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 20:27:32 PM »
Cany was found bout 5pm. She appeared suddenly at the end of the street. Jasper lives down there. The handsome smiler. His owners said she sleeps in there garden and sun baths.

Licky turned up at 7pm. He just strooled in casually. The little git. Think he needs a tracker and camera like in that program. Both gone back out but just glad they have ate. Licky does not fear the vets. He has an overactive thyroid and his vet cuddles him and makes a fuss of him. He is goinh friday now at 9am. Xx

Thank god they are safe, especially in this heat.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 19:12:44 PM »
Has Licky returned home yet? Please keep us updated  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 17:03:34 PM »
I am sure its a combo of V E T and the heat, very hot here for Wales!

My late Kocka used to suddenly  be able to totally understand english when I was making a vet appt and she even used to have an alarm clock to make sure she was well and truely hidden in time.

I am sure he will be home when he feels hungry later tonight as it gets a little cooler.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 16:13:54 PM »
This hot weather is altering my cats' behaviour but do hope he is back soon.  Certainly if a vets appointment is due to come up they have a sixth sense for it and do their best to get out of my sight and develop selective deafness!

The original question, I had a deep down gut instinct that my Lilly was missing when she didn't come in at her normal 10pm time.   That probably doesn't help reassure you at all :(

Hope they are both back soon. :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 14:06:15 PM »

I was just going to say much the same as Alison - if he's got wind of the vet's appointment, he may be staying clear of the house until he feels all "danger" has passed.

I would certainly try the old rattling the biscuit box trick (assuming he eats dried food?)

I know our oldest one has been staying out for longer and longer periods this last week or so, taking full advantage of the good weather, so that's another possibility.

I would perhaps begin feeling uneasy if neither of them showed for a mealtime after a day unfed.  Hoping they both show up very soon, and put your mind to rest.   :hug:

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 13:47:41 PM »
Can understand your concern :hug: I know mine have given me the panics over the years.

Is there a noise that might get Licky home quickly like a treat box rattling or a fav toy.

Check all the usual places then widen the search.

This heat might have effected Licky and made him want an extra snooze.

I notice that Licky has a vets app and wondering if this was routine

Am sure we have all been in this position but just have a good search then you feel you are doing something :hug:

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
How long til you consider your cat to be lost?

I havent seen my Licky since 9am and he hasnt had his breakfast due to a vet appointment - which ive had to cancel due to not able to find him.
Its unlike him to not hear my voice and come running. His twin sister is also gone walkies. With the heat i am worried. Is this normal for hot weather? My partner said they are probably snoozing under a shade.

So when do you consider a cat to be lost?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 12:30:21 PM by Gill (sneakiefeline) »

Link to CatChat