Author Topic: Old cat with arthritis  (Read 1430 times)

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
Re: Old cat with arthritis
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 21:37:21 PM »
I give my 19 year ex feral stable cat Stride for her arthritis, she has been living at home with me now since March this year, and although pretty arthritic, she manages to run up stairs, and is very mobile for her age.  :)

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/joint-supplements-stride-plus-c-5_4_441/stride-plus-hyaluronic-acid-for-cats-150ml-p-3136

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Old cat with arthritis
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 20:33:14 PM »
Try Stronghold they are good for earmites which Sasa gets.

Ducha had arthritus and after discussions with the vet we tried metacam on a minimal doesage and the change to his life was amazing. I accepted that it could shorten his life but I lost him at age 19 to renal failure that couldnt be treated as he could not be pilled.

As I think is the case he went down in 24 hrs which was so very sad and his weight also dropped off in the same period. He had a chicken birthday dinner on the monday and on Wed I lost him  :(

Ducha could not do the stairs before metacam but was up and down all the time after until his health started to go down. I have pictures of him on the sofa with Lupin on his 18th birthday  ;D

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Moustache, the Flick and Hairy Pants!
Old cat with arthritis
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 10:43:37 AM »
Our elderly feral resident Clive has been struggling for the past 2 years to clean himself properly due to severe arthritis. As anyone who has met him knows, he tends to have 'scales' on his back where his fur matts together which is removed at the vets every so often to keep him feeling comfortable. The last couple of weeks though i've noticed he can no longer clean his back end which has become dirty and now he keeps falling up/down the stairs. He tends to jump down the stairs sideways now, which is a new thing and despite using advocate from the vets on him, he is suffering from bouts of reoccurring ear mites. Im wondering whether there is anything i can do to help with minimal interference as he is still feral minded at times though he is food orientated. He is not particularly nice to the other cats so they will not clean him, and generally everyone is steering clear of him. He is not a fan of the vets or cat carriers so im hoping that we can help him without resorting to these measures! My biggest fear is my 5 month old son getting mobile (he's almost crawling now) and terrorising old man Clive who may not be able to get out of the way. Any ideas?

Link to CatChat