Author Topic: The Great Outdoors - How best to introduce the kittens to the cat flap and life outside?  (Read 1283 times)

Offline Bluemoon

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Jumpy, Pixie, Gracie & Bogey
Personally, I'd wait til they were a bit older if it seems like Cookie doesn't have much sense of danger.

My cat Pixie was the same at that age - and very small too! We tried letting her out but she got up to allsorts - climbing the neighbour's trellis, boldy going into their shed, climbing the fence and clattering over the other neighbour's perspex extension roof ( :Crazy: ), and not showing any fear of strangers OR any sense of responding to being called back indoors.....!!!  :naughty:

So she has only been out on a harness and lead since then, she is now 16 months and she gets to enjoy the garden every morning for at least an hour , chasing flies and birds but being kept safe. I am happy for her to remain going out like this. When younger, she seemed to want more freedom but now she enjoys her routine  :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
This sounds like a good plan although my preference would be to open the door initially and let them go out if they want, if not dont force them.

Once they know that its ok out there and have come back through the door then time for cat flap traing as you have suggested  ;D

Offline ToffeeandCookie

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Toffee and Cookie
Hi all,

We have decided that Cookie and Toffee will be outdoor kitties and we are planning to let them out for the first time on Sunday (when myself and my husband will both be at home)
Just wondering if anyone can give us some tips on how to make this as easy as possible for the two kittens and also for us!

Things to note
1) both kittens are now 8months and fully vaccinated, flea treated and wormed.
2) a microchip reading cat flap has been installed and they are both very keen to look through the plastic and watch outside
3) they have both been out before, but only when using a cat safe harness and lead. Cookie loves it and wants to run and explore the garden, climb trees, go over the neighbours fence (if I'd let her). Toffee doesn't like being outside at all much and tends to only want to move about a metre from the door before heading inside.
4) there are a LOT of cats in our neighbourhood, and we have had at least one tom come and spray around the cat flap and at least two cats come up and stare at our kittens through the cat flap. So far our cats don't seem too bothered by that though.
5) both cats are used to a whistle to indicate that its time for food, and both tend to come when called like that. Provided food/treats are given

Our plan
Sunday am as weather is forecast to be good. We will try this before they have been fed breakfast
One of us will be on each side of the cat flap with Dreamies treats (there favourite) used to entice them out and then also back in a few times so that they get the hang of it.
Once they kind of get the idea of the cat flap, we will have them come out and then secure it open whilst they are outside. We will spend some time in the garden (probably a couple of hours) so that we are around and hopefully that will put off any neighbouring cats from coming into our garden at that time.
Once they have had a bit of time out, we will call them in and give them breakfast

Does that all sound like a good plan? Any other suggestions?

My main concern is that Cookie is going to charge off, she has no fear and is very very curious. I am hopefull that as she will be hungry she will come back when called - but a bit worried that she might get a bit lost - any suggestions?

I'm terrified of letting them out, but keeping them as housecats only isn't really practical as they are both very active and Cookie in particular really enjoys being out. I guess I just have to suck it up - would much appreciate any advice/good success stories though!

Link to CatChat