Author Topic: Nail bed infection  (Read 1569 times)

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Mouse
Re: Nail bed infection
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 15:02:06 PM »
Yes, Thanks Gill. I had the vet out, the convenia did little more than nothing so she's now on an oral antibiotic and had metacam for 4 days. Massive improvement since the vet cam, she's walking normally now and not licking it so much, the swelling is going down nicely. The vet thinks it may be some underlying immune problem as she has 3 infected nailbeds on one foot.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 18:35:55 PM »
Agree with Rosella, dont use the metcam until you have seen vet.

Definately she needs to see the vet again as it sounds like this infection started a while ago.

Metacam is very safe and mixed with food most cats like it cos its sweet. But the correct dosage must be given.

The shelflife is much longer than it says, and I used it on and off for over a year...........I aske the vet and he said that metacam are just trying to make people buy it frequently!

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 15:27:26 PM »
Thanks Rosella. What a worry they are! The vet gave me the metacam a few weeks ago when she first started limping but she'd had an injection of it a few days previously and I'm really reluctant to use the oral stuff now. I'll see how she is tomorrow and reassess then.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 15:21:40 PM »
I don't like to give pain meds without vet's input tbh and it does sound like there has been a significant improvement over the last week. 

Metacam doesn't have a long shelf life and I think it takes a good 24 hours to kick in unless given by injection.  The fact that she is eating is also an excellent sign as cats in pain often go off their food. 

I'd give it till tomorrow but, as Gill says, you should keep an eye on her.  Poor little possom  :care: :care: :care: 

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 14:51:39 PM »
I have some metacam Gill, do you think I should give her some? It's only been 4 days since the antibiotic but she's really worrying me. I'm not sure how much is her infection and how much is the heat though. She's very reluctant to walk and holds up her paw and hops, she waits for me to carry her and wherever I put her down she stays. She does have a hop around occasionally but not for long, just to go to the loo and get out of the sun. On the plus side she's eating very well and will let me touch her paw whereas last week she hissed if I went near it. The vets say give it time but I don't want her suffering endlessly.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 00:06:41 AM »
Sounds like she has been given coinvenia but sounds as if she needs pain meds like metacam.

I would keep a close eye on this because by Monday she really should be showing some real improvement and if not think she should go back to the vets.

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 21:30:10 PM »
Thanks, I've been googling too. I called the vets this morning and they said only a little of the drug is released very slowly and it lasts 14 days. She is uncomfortable, however she's letting me pick her up now and touch her poorly paw so there is some difference. She is not using that leg at all really though, she prefers to hold it up. I feel so guilty as she's been to the vets 3 times in a few weeks and none of us clocked what was wrong. i thought she was really unwell with something terrible and was fearing the worst.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 21:21:48 PM »
Sorry I've tried googling but cannot find anything that seems like an authoritative link for you  :hug:

I have no experience to offer I'm afraid but hope she shows signs of improvement soon otherwise you will naturally need to ring vet on Monday to see how long you should wait as I imagine she is uncomfortable?  :(

From what I have read it seems it can have many different causes from something very simple to symptomatic of an underlying condition so I think your vet is your safest bet  :hug:

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
Nail bed infection
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 20:26:42 PM »
My cat has been under the weather for a few weeks, several vets trips later she has been given an antibiotic injection for nail bed infection. She is showing no sign of improvement yet and she had the injection on Wednesday evening. It's a long acting one though, has anyone else any experience of this infection? Duration, problems etc.

Link to CatChat