Author Topic: Sleep eye  (Read 2547 times)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: Sleep eye
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 07:26:20 AM »
I have seven cats, all of whom have completely different reactions to being held/handled. One loves having the bogeys scraped from her eyes and treats it as you would a manicure, she just flops and relaxes. I think this is more likely what Oscar is doing rather than just submitting to his fate. Don't worry, an unhappy cat would soon let you know.  ;)

I think you're doing a tremendous job, it's a brave slave who takes on a new challenge like Oscar, and he's obviously thriving under your care. Keep it up.  ;D

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Jezabel
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 13:35:12 PM »
Oh and he's such a calm cat compared to Jezabel. When I need to clean his eyes I just wrap him in a towel and he immed lies down...doesn't try to escape and lets me clean his eyes. Jezabel would NEVER stand for that and it would take 2 people to give her medicine or clean her eyes if she needed it! LOL
Although in a strange way I do feel bad taht he's so docile...just because it makes wonder if he's had bad stuff done to him and he's reconciled himself to giving up the control?

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 13:14:21 PM »
The softer stuff is the same as the dried black stuff before it dries. As Oscar is blind he may blink less than sighted cats, I'm wondering if this causes his eye bogeys to form more readily? If he had a cold he would show other symptoms.

I think RosellaMoggy's boy Billie Wizz has eye trouble this time of year, but that seems to be pollen allergy related, maybe she has some knowledge?

I think you're the only Purrs owner with a totally blind cat at the moment, Princess. There may be some eye drops you could get from the vet to "wet" his eyes a little? I know they make them for humans suffering dry-eye but it would never be appropriate to use human remedies on a cat without your vet's approval, and there may be an animal specific remedy.

Thanks you are prob right about the blinking. I didn't know I was the only slave to a blind kitty! If he had pain or it was bothering him I would take him to teh vets straight away but today there was a wet booger on his bottom eyelid and he didn't even seem bothered by it. Thanks for the help.
Karen x

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 13:06:15 PM »
The softer stuff is the same as the dried black stuff before it dries. As Oscar is blind he may blink less than sighted cats, I'm wondering if this causes his eye bogeys to form more readily? If he had a cold he would show other symptoms.

I think RosellaMoggy's boy Billie Wizz has eye trouble this time of year, but that seems to be pollen allergy related, maybe she has some knowledge?

I think you're the only Purrs owner with a totally blind cat at the moment, Princess. There may be some eye drops you could get from the vet to "wet" his eyes a little? I know they make them for humans suffering dry-eye but it would never be appropriate to use human remedies on a cat without your vet's approval, and there may be an animal specific remedy.

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 12:35:43 PM »
Ok so I have noticed sometimes when I clean Oscar#s eye boogers(LOL) that as well as the dark dried on stuff there is a bit of sort of soft booger coloured stuff in the corner of his eye...it's not bloody or green just sort of cloudy coloued? Also I have had to clean his nose of ACTUAL dried boogers recently too. Is the wet stuff in his eyes just the sleep before it dries? I am sort of assuming he may have a cold or something?

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2013, 11:46:59 AM »
Just thought, how old is Oscar? Just because I think it happened more when dexter was younger. Hopefully if its just a cleaning problem then Oscar may get better as he gets older?

He was a stray and the vet thinks 3=4 years old and I think the blindness sort of hinders his cleaning too. He does have amazing coping skills to clean himself though. He goes into his covered bed and slumps to the back so the bed tips up and leans against the wall and the ne has support to clean his nether regions without falling over.
It is amazing how they adapt and sad to watch sometimes too. His litter box is in a corner and it's covered and if he walks towards it and doesn't hit the door first time around he doesn't move to teh side he has to turn around walk away and aim for it again. He has lots of patience!

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2013, 01:09:43 AM »
Just thought, how old is Oscar? Just because I think it happened more when dexter was younger. Hopefully if its just a cleaning problem then Oscar may get better as he gets older?
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 23:38:55 PM »
nope no swelling or pain and I have been using warm water and a cotton bud to gently wipe it off. I think I was more worried because it happens everyday and they never seem to be clear for long...then again he does sleep a lot. I have tried for weeks to get him interested in toys taht make a noise and catnip etc but he's not bothered he just likes to sleep in the sun and that is ok with me.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 23:44:45 PM by princesskasren »

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 22:53:38 PM »
I'm no expert, but it looks ok. Cats have a discharge just like we do.

I personally would be concerned if there was any swelling or the third eyekid was showing.

Check with your vet tho if you are still worried

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 21:22:33 PM »
Perfectly normal. All cats have this discharge from the eyes, most will wipe it off themselves from both eyes but some favour one paw to wash their faces. These will miss the opposite eye which results in single eye bogies. Unless it is causing distress just dampen the crusts with a wet cotton wool ball or tissue then it should pull away cleanly after 5 mins or so - just like egg stuck to a plate.  ;)

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 17:57:19 PM »
So I have noticed it looks a bit weepy and then crusts up...still normal?

Offline LadyMcTavish

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Tippy (June 2013)
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 11:05:26 AM »
When you wipe it away make sure you use warm water so soften the discharge if it goes hard so it doesn't cause any damage :)

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 13:28:06 PM »
Ok great thanks for the reassurance. This is teh nicest most helpful forum! xx

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 10:44:26 AM »
Agree, Dexter is ginger, so it always shows up on him too.

If theres quite a bit built up I try and wipe it off, but he hates it! I think its probably a tricky place for all cats to get into, not just blind ones.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 09:01:19 AM »
looks pretty normal, we had a former feral who had malformed tear ducts and the vet just said daily wipes with damp cotton wool would do the trick

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
  • RIP my gorgeous Schmoo xx
  • Slave to: Buddy
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 22:01:59 PM »
Our ginger has the same thing pretty often, I just gently wipe it off so it doesn't block any ducts or anything.

I have asked our vet and they said its pretty normal unless they are irritated by it. If they scratch at it a lot then I'd get looked at though.

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 20:43:53 PM »
My 13 year old girl who is mainly white has the same problem. Will be interested to see if anyone can offer advice. She is not bothered by it in any way

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
Sleep eye
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 18:20:49 PM »
Hiya, so maybe I am only noticing this problem more because Oscar is white and the sleep in his eye shows up more but he seems to have it all the time. Because he is blind he's not very good at cleaning his eyes so I have just been cleaning the sleep out with a washcloth and warm water but it does keep coming back and I thought before I went crying to the vet I would take a pic and ask for some opinions. It's not got any pus in it or blood it just seems black and crusty.
I hope the pic is big enough I just snapped it with my phone.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 18:21:58 PM by princesskasren »

Link to CatChat