Author Topic: Cat bite??  (Read 3457 times)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: Cat bite??
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2013, 21:18:47 PM »
Great news, now you have a good relationship with your vet. I hope her recovery continues apace.  :)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2013, 19:35:26 PM »
That is good news, thank you for letting us know  ;D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2013, 18:47:16 PM »
Thats really good and the peace of mind is worth it all and of course if it doesnt heal they have already seen her and will know what to do next.  ;D

Offline kymberleyc

• Adult Cat
  • My beautiful girl is my world :)
  • Slave to: Millie Rose
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2013, 15:32:34 PM »
Definitely!! She was so good and he said how well natured she was as its the first time she's seen the male vet! Xxx
Mummy to Millie xoxox

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2013, 15:28:54 PM »
that is good news, always worth taking them just for peace of mind!

Offline kymberleyc

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2013, 15:25:52 PM »
Hi, just got back from the vets, they have given us a cleansing solution to put on twice a day. He didn't think it was bad really?! He said it has taken quite long to heal but that could be because it was deep and he didn't see her to stitch it up

Anyway she should be healed in a week and no infection or long term damage  ;D xxx
Mummy to Millie xoxox

Offline kymberleyc

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 12:38:21 PM »
Thanks gill for that bit of advice, I will do that   :thanks:

I've got her fleecy blanket ready to go in the carrier! The vet loves her blanket cuz it's personalised with her name and an embroidery of her that is spot on! She is a really lovely vet and you can tell she genuinely wants to help animals!

Appointments at 2.50pm so I'm going to get her ready to go soon xxxx
Mummy to Millie xoxox

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 23:19:35 PM »
Good luck at the vets and remember to ask questions and get them to explain why they want to do xyz or not, write down as many as you can think of.  :hug: :hug:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2013, 21:50:06 PM »
They might not stitch if they think there is any infection, but it is best to let them make the decision.

Offline kymberleyc

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 20:24:54 PM »
Hi, thanks for the replies, there is no puss or anything but I will take her to the vets tmoz after I finish work and see what they do, I'm hoping that they might put stitches in or something. She's insured anyway so I'm not bothered too much about £100's of pounds of treatment

Ill keep you posted xxxx
Mummy to Millie xoxox

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 19:54:43 PM »
I know what I would do, Kimberley. My cats lives are too precious to chance with guesswork.  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 19:50:16 PM »
If you read your first post, you have been here before and therefore you need to at least speak to them.

My feeling is that you do need to go cos deep wounds surface close but real healing comes from the bottom up and the sealing of the top can seal infection in and you need to be sure that this is not the case as Sheila said.

Offline kymberleyc

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 19:11:22 PM »
Well now it's scabbed up fully and it's falling off around the edges and has new skin underneath with fur starting to grow, what do I do now? Still take her to the vets?? Xx
Mummy to Millie xoxox

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 11:45:31 AM »
If it hasn't closed up by now it sounds as if there is an underlying problem. It needs a proper clean out and any necrotic or infected tissue cut away, disinfected, and the wound closed up before any infection gets into her blood and you lose her  :(

Only the vet can do this properly, she may need to be sedated if she is not easily handled. I agree with the others, a vet visit is now unavoidable.

Regardless of the cause of the initial injury, this is not healing as it should and there will be a reason for that. Putting off professional medical help will only serve to make her recovery more prolonged and less likely, and more expensive for you in the log run.

This looks painful for her and you need to get it sorted. I appreciate of course that vet appointments aren't easy or cheap over a week-end but can you get Millie to a vet today?

Doesn't look like a cat bite to me.  Thought they were usually two hole punctures?   :shy:  I'm no vet though and she needs to see a vet  :hug:
Tufty only ever manages to get one hole in me when he bites, Rosella  :doh: it's down to the angle of attack. Bless his shiney white fangs.  :naughty:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 22:39:11 PM »
On reflection she may have needed stitches but at the time it didn't seem too bad when it healed. I'm now panicking about it. If I take her to the vets they are going to give her tablets and quite honestly that is a nightmare

Sounds like she needs to see a vet for stitches.  Convenia is an anti bitoic injection that will cover her for 10 to 14 days if she is difficult to pill.

Doesn't look like a cat bite to me.  Thought they were usually two hole punctures?   :shy:  I'm no vet though and she needs to see a vet  :hug:

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 22:38:20 PM »
Since she has had it for a few weeks, she needs to see the vet. The injection of antibiotics will cover her for 2 weeks, so no need for pills. You dont want the infection spreading to her internal organs :(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 22:25:26 PM »
Thats is what vets are for, we are not vets  :innocent:

Offline kymberleyc

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 20:13:15 PM »
Hiya, thanks for replying :)
Can you give me some examples of what it could be? I don't know if it is a bite but that's what I'm guessing xxx
Mummy to Millie xoxox

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 19:37:47 PM »
The covenia jab replaces the need for oral antibiotics. Any cat who is resistant to tablets is usually treated this way. The injection us delivered by a small needle into the desensitized scruff so the cat doesn't usually feel a thing.

Hopefully this will sort her out permanently. You need professional advice though, as this could be something deeper than just a superficial cut/bite.

Offline kymberleyc

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 19:06:30 PM »
Hiya, what would a vet do though if he's not giving her an injection? Xxx
Mummy to Millie xoxox

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 16:25:23 PM »
I think you need to see a vet and there is no need for tablets and if infected a convenia jab is the best way.

Offline kymberleyc

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 13:19:41 PM »
The brown bits are scabs forming btw x
Mummy to Millie xoxox

Offline kymberleyc

• Adult Cat
Cat bite??
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 13:18:45 PM »
Hiya all,

Millie came a couple of weeks back with like a cut on her back. About the size of a 10p. We straight away put on a head cone to stop her licking it and cleaned it with salt water solution. It looked very clean and scabbed within a couple of days. All was going well until last Thursday she knocked the scab off >:( so we went back to square one. But the cut wasn't as deep so it definitely has healed a bit. So we carried on with the salt water, now dropping a few drops in twice a day. Still it is clean with no swelling. She hasn't been out and has had a litter tray to minimise the risk of infection. Literally within ten mins of it happening we had the litter try down and cone on her head. We know this as we let her out for 5 mins and when she came back in the wound was there. So now it's scabbing over again. On reflection she may have needed stitches but at the time it didn't seem too bad when it healed. I'm now panicking about it. If I take her to the vets they are going to give her tablets and quite honestly that is a nightmare. She will wee and poo on us to get out of taking the tablet. Even if one of us is holding her and the other trying to administer it! It is pure hell for us and Millie.
So has anyone got any advice? She is eating normally, pooing on time and is acting like Millie!! She is purring and still as loving etc

Looking forward to your replies

Kymberley & Millie xxx

P.s I've tried to attach 2 photos. One of when it happened and one of it after I cleaned it this morning.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 13:20:20 PM by kymberleyc »
Mummy to Millie xoxox

Link to CatChat