Author Topic: Fingers and Paws crossed...time for the dreaded dental..  (Read 5730 times)

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
  • RIP my gorgeous Schmoo xx
  • Slave to: Buddy
Re: Fingers and Paws crossed...time for the dreaded dental..
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 10:00:56 AM »
Thanks everyone  :hug:

Just back from dropping her off at the vets. And I made it back to the car before blubbing at least, so that's a plus ;)

So quiet in the house now....

Should get a call tonight to let me know how she's settled in, and then they will call tomorrow morning before and after the Op. This is going to be a very long 24hrs isn't it?

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 15:44:16 PM »
Good luck vibes for both of you ~~~

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 11:07:33 AM »
When Fred first came to us from RSPCA in 2006, he needed a dental immediately and had all teeth except two removed.  We were given to understand he was only 5 years old at the time so didn't have any pre op blood tests. 

Over the next 5 years he was with us, it became apparent he was much older than 5 when he came to us and I'm pretty sure he had early stage CRF at the time.  However, like Algie, following dental; no collar, a bit low for a day or so and then a much happier cat. 

Best of good luck vibes for Schmoo  :hug: :hug:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 09:59:05 AM »
 :crossed:

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 09:51:57 AM »
Hope everything goes well and am pleased you have lots planned to help take your mind off things  :hug: :hug: :hug:

When Algie had all his teeth removed he didn't have a collar, he did drool a little bit, but nothing much. He felt very sorry for himself for a day or so, I  had prepared a bed for him under the dressing table as a quiet, secluded area for him with a litter tray and food nearby. He went to being very poorly before his op to being like a kitten again within days  :)

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
  • RIP my gorgeous Schmoo xx
  • Slave to: Buddy
Fingers and Paws crossed...time for the dreaded dental..
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 09:02:10 AM »
Well it's almost time - Schmoo is going in to the vets tomorrow for her dental :( I'm doing ok so far but suspect I will be a right mess tomorrow!

She's going in a day early so they can start her on vitamin K jabs before the op, as her pre-op blood clot tests came back a bit dodgy, and they will also have her on fluids from tomorrow evening to ease the risk on her liver. Actual op will be Tuesday morning then she'll stay at vets on fluids again that night and hopefully be home Weds.

It's going to best weird not having her here for those days! Ive already made sure i have plans, otherwise i think id spend the whole time camped by the phone! But I know the vets are just taking every precaution as she's high risk, and I'm glad for that. We aren't sure how many teeth will be removed but I suspect most will be taken out...

Does anyone have any recovery advice? I'm sure vets will let me know, but will she be drooling etc, in a cone (again!), able to eat/dink unsupervised? She's never had anything like this - or been away from home - done before.

X

Link to CatChat