Author Topic: Fingers and Paws crossed...time for the dreaded dental..  (Read 5731 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Fingers and Paws crossed...time for the dreaded dental..
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2013, 01:47:44 AM »
yes creaking is usually arthritus but should be a bit better in the heat and if she is not bothered I would keep her away from the vet for just now.

Pleased the paste is working and the heat wont help that either.

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
  • RIP my gorgeous Schmoo xx
  • Slave to: Buddy
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2013, 22:56:51 PM »
Just a little update from us. The Pro-kaolin paste does finally seem to be working after a few days, yesterday's poop was pretty much normal! Todays was a little worse, but still a vast improvement on what's been happening lately.

I do think she's suffering a bit in the heat, but aren't they all at the moment! She's eating ok, but again she doesnt eat as much when she's hot though so I'm not worried. She's not worried at her mouth at all really, aside from a couple of days ago when we had a few 'Elvis' lip curls which I suspect might just be the stitches coming loose.

One thing I noticed tonight though is she's creaking a lot when she walks. she's moving ok and doesn't seem bothered by it, but it doesn't sound right. Will give it a few days and see how she goes, then call the vets. Am assuming as an old lady, some form of arthritis is likely...one more thing to add to the list..... :/

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2013, 16:20:42 PM »
Oh yes fish totally did his stomach in!

We are now nearly 2 yrs on and he eats fish felix after the food he had eaten for year stopped being made.........cat food companies are just the pits!

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2013, 07:42:09 AM »
Oh dear! Poor Lupin - and you! So annoying when they stop selling things that work :/

Well I ordered a tube of the paste so I will see how we get on with that when it arrives, as she's not having any of the Fortiflora, even tried mixing in water and syringe feeding it - very messy as most got spat out!  :shocked:

Good news is that she decided she would start eating some of her previous meaty food yesterday, so we have cut out the fishy ones and I'm hoping that will help settle things down.

Poopwatch is ongoing, this mornings was a better colour and actually looked a slightly better consistency, so hoping once we start the paste we are on the right track. She's only got a days worth of noroclav too, and I don't think that's helping her tummy either..

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2013, 19:31:02 PM »
Just done a search, at home! and online and seems like they are saying what Lupin was given.........protexin caps are only for dogs now!

I cant find the remains of what I bought and dont remember them being just for dogs. The ones I was given by the vet were the same but came without a leaflet cos just about 3 slabs of capsules.

Its really strange cos the probiotic we all used to use also is not available.

Lupin was given a tube of of Pro-Kaolin but it didnt work and that seems to be the only thing left for cats................really stupid!

All I know I tried the original probitic powder.....for gotten name but didnt work, vet tried Pro-Kaolin but no good and then I was given the protexin and along with special GI food Lupin gradually became solid again after 2-3 months of a terrible time with him.........he was 10 months to just over a year and all this started after his spey.

I then had about another year of weaning him off the special food and finding something he liked and didnt make him ill.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2013, 18:53:23 PM »
No dont think so although maybe a different mixture but will try and find, think I bought mine from Vet UK but will be cheaper from vets cos you will only need a few capasules.

Will try a search and come back

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2013, 07:46:44 AM »
Just googled Protexin and found a paste that can be syringes into pets mouth, is that the same thing Gill?

Be good if we can keep food as 'natural' as we can I think, the minute she suspects we are trying to sneak extras in, she won't touch it and I think that's half our problem at the moment :/

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2013, 07:23:23 AM »
Thanks Gill I will give that a try if we still get nowhere with this one.

I think it's a general tummy issue at the moment, but the problem is with her being so fussy I have such limited options on what to feed her with :/

She's gone off the food she was happy with before the Op, wouldnt touch the recovery food the vets gave us, and now seems to be getting fussy with the fishy foods she adored just days ago which doesn't help the tablet giving! And we had another upset tummy this morning too...

Looks like I will be buying up the pet food aisles again today trying to find something she will eat that's actually good for her  :(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2013, 00:08:35 AM »
Try and get some protexin caps from the vet, half a capsule mixed in food once a day..........as far as I can tell it doesnt smell or taste.

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2013, 22:10:43 PM »
Well check up went ok, teeth all looking good. Still inflamed but that's normal - no sign of infection which is great!

Mentioned the poop (last night and today was the same) and she said it wasn't unusual but to keep an eye on it. She also gave us some fortiflora sachets to help the upset tum. Sadly when sachet was applied to food, her highness turned her nose up and walked off  :tired: despite the vet saying she had never heard of a cat not liking it....

She's been fussy with food a bit today too, but wondering if the upset tummy is bringing that on. Oh how I wish I had a cat who would eat anything, it would make life sooo much easier!

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2013, 23:06:29 PM »
 :rofl: well put Sheila!!

It was actually normal colour, so hopefully that's a good sign!

I'll remain on Poop-Watch and report back to the vets on Saturday ;)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2013, 22:46:44 PM »
When Polly had her recent dental her first poop was like pureed grass - very green in colour - the vet said it was her bile duct evacuating and to keep an eye on it, however the very next poop was a smooth lovely sausage so no reason to fret.  ;D

The meds do beggar up their tums but unless it carries on  more than a day or two please don't worry, they have crap to get rid of and that's exactly what they do.  :evillaugh:

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2013, 22:04:06 PM »
Thanks Liz, I was sure they said it might happen but just wanted to check.

Looking forward normal service resuming I have to say.......! 

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2013, 22:01:01 PM »
Yes very normal having been through 10 dentals so far this year with my mob - as they haven't eaten much they tend to keep the majority if you know what I mean ;D
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2013, 21:58:01 PM »
Ok, TMI alert but I have a litter box related question?

She's just been 'no. 2' for the first time since being home, and it was one tiny...um...nugget and then mostly 'loose'  :sick:

I'm assuming that's actually probably normal considering, but can anyone confirm if their cat experienced anything similar?

Thank you :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2013, 17:59:28 PM »
Its very sad cos dont think I have normal cats, they dont like treats and human food........sigh

Pleased she is doing well Helen  ;D

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2013, 16:21:53 PM »
I am currently worming my total unhandlables with tablets wrapped in smoked salmon to and to date even Ace adn Blue whio had ACP tablets to get them in crushers are falling for it - m ine love treats and ahve always worked on the premise if they think its a treat they will eat the required pills just have to get the right medium :shocked: :rofl:

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2013, 15:56:52 PM »
LOL Liz, love that they will only go for the posh stuff! What is it with cats - how do they know what's the expensive one?  ;)

Good luck with your next visit Gill, pilling is an awful nightmare as far as I am concerned. If she hadn't eaten those ones this morning I would have had a meltdown I think! Hopefully this will carry on for the next few days though, and we will be over the worst and back to normal :)

She's done ok today, sleepy and not eating tonnes, but I think that's more to do with fussiness than pain - the tuna disappears so fast! But it's not a complete food so we a mixing with a bit of complete at the moment to boost it a little. Eating anything at the moment thought is progress as far as I see it!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2013, 14:42:52 PM »
Vets couldnt get a tablet in using a pill popper either!

I have had 3 cats none of which could be pilled and know Sasa cant and suspect Lupin is also that way inclined but will see at next health check!

Misa just looks mystified at the whole process if the vet is good.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2013, 06:38:06 AM »
I pill to Hyperthyroids daily and wrap the tablet in M & S extra thin smoked salmon and this works for both of mine - Max is on 2 tablets and Clio is on 1 did try cheaper salmon versions form various supermarkets but they refused to take the tablets till we went back to M & S and if all else fails try the pill popper

Clio had all her teeth out so smoked salmon seems to be her way for tablets Max the other one will take his in meat and Pate to

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2013, 06:25:45 AM »
There is 2 of us, but that still didn't work LOL! I am going to ask the vets to show us on Saturday though.

But, little madam surprised me his morning - I crushed the noroclav again, then mixed it with tuna food (her absolute fave) and figured I would give the normal 'hide it in treat stick' a go to see - and it worked!!! Little monkey gobbled it right up along with the last molecule of tuna juice in the bowl  :shocked:

So unbelievably relieved right now, I've been dreading that all night!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2013, 00:44:12 AM »
So sorry you are having so much trouble and I would take her back to the vets and ask them to show you how to do this...............if there is only one of you I think its near impossible.  :hug: :hug:

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2013, 21:23:17 PM »
Sigh... Epic fail on the manual tablets giving :(

That method of holding the cheekbones and lifting the head up - does not work! She wouldn't lift her head, and kept her mouth firmly shut! Plus I got scared of hurting her teeth so backed off trying again. Grrrr.

Luckily for this one (noroclav) I could crush it and it's gone down in some tuna food, but tomorrow morning I have to give vidalta and I can't crush that!

Sigh.....why don't vets train people in how to do this?! Its all well and good showing a video of a nice cooperative cat doing it, but that's not the same as an uncooperative cat!

...and breathe....

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2013, 21:18:55 PM »
If they drink cat milk the painkiller can be administered that way, I also liquidise food - normal sachets for 2 of mine - Clio my Hyper T feral at 15 and for Master Wispa aka Chunckchop who has Callichi and they both get food supplements from the vets mixed with this - basically two pumps of the stuff equals a full days calories in a teaspoons worth, not cheap at approx. £15.00 a tube but both of mine have gained weight much top the vets surprise - they eat a mixture of kitten and adult food liquidised about 6 sachets each a day and Clio can eat biccies when I'm not looking

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2013, 18:48:44 PM »
oh what a shame

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2013, 18:30:04 PM »
butter, pate, treats? Try anything to disguise the tablet. So pleased she's back home and happy.  :)

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2013, 18:22:30 PM »
Yes we have had that before but it's not so effective now as a result. Plus she has another 3 regular tablets she takes as well, so we don't really have a choice now unfortunately :/

Not looking forward to this I have to say...

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2013, 14:30:51 PM »
we can't pill star so she had a long lasting ab injection

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2013, 14:20:12 PM »
Well shes eaten a teaspoon of Hills AD mixed with some cooked white fish (treat as she doesn't normally get fish) which is progress. Im hoping little and often is the way to go at the moment until her appetite is back.

Giving the liquid painkiller was tricky, I couldn't get her to open her mouth as I was scared of making her teeth sore by grabbing too hard or in the wrong place :/ Finally got it done in a couple of tries, just gently pushing the syringe between her gums and aiming at the rear of her mouth! Followed with a bit more fish, to wash it down.

God help me when we have to tablet her - normally it's hidden in treats, but if she's not eating that is not going to work! Something tells me this is going to be a tough couple of days :(

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2013, 10:53:00 AM »
She's home :) Still a bit spaced out and quiet bless her though, and she's sort of twitching a little, but I think that's just everything settling down.

We've got painkiller liquid to give her 3 times daily by mouth, noroclav and she's on prednisolone anyway so those 3 should keep things steady. We are back for a check up on Saturday morning.

She's not done great eating so far, but they think that was more to do with stress from being at the vets, so will try her with some dinner a bit later, and keep everything crossed :/

For now, she's happy snuggled on my lap  :Luv:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2013, 21:42:53 PM »
It's likely Schmoo will have a long lasting anti-biotic injection so you won't need to worry about little bits of inflammation. Ask what they've dosed her with before you leave for your own reassurance.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2013, 19:30:46 PM »
So glad to hear that things went well. Here's hoping that the patient will soon be back home.

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 19:27:58 PM »
So pleased it all went well  :)

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 19:22:24 PM »
Thanks Onyx, ours is a guzzle-then-vomit eater too anyway, so she only gets fed a spoon at a time! Hopefully that will carry on helping once she's home.

Update call from the vets was good too, she's out of the 'danger zone' in terms of coming out of anaesthetic and is alert, but still a bit wobbly bless her.

She's licked at food but not really eaten any yet, but that's normal I think. Only slight thing is that they think one of the stitches is a bit inflamed, but I'm hoping they will keep an eye and have that sorted before she comes home.

Waiting on another call tomorrow morning now, hopefully to let me know pick up time :)

Offline onyx

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Fonzie and Chloe, plus Amber and Izzie the doggies
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 19:04:10 PM »
it was a few years ago that fonzie had most of his removed, and i dont remember much, so probably not that helpful....

but i do remember giggling when he was walking around looking a bit drunk....   he also adapted really well to eating without teeth. the only think i've noticed is that he struggles with large pieces of food as he swallows them whole (and then pukes them back up....  :sick: ) and sometimes he eats to fast (and then pukes it back up....  :sick:

but in general, he manages to eat fine!

: )

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 17:11:41 PM »
Shes ok!!  :Luv2:

Got a call earlier and the Op went really well apparently, no issues at all so all the prep the vets did was soo worth it!

She was still very dozy when they rang, but I will get another call to bit later with an update on how she's doing.

Apparently she had 9 teeth removed, including a fractured canine, and one molar that had disintegrated and was actually just bits of root :( poor little mite - I am so glad we finally got her to a stage where we could have this done, as horrid as this has been, that must have been so sore! She's got a couple of stitches apparently but other than that, she's ok.

I am so relieved it's not true! Just hope she recovers well from the anaesthetic so I can have her home tomorrow  :Luv:

Thanks everyone for the good luck vibes x  :thanks:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 21:48:23 PM »
Good news so far then  ;D

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 20:57:57 PM »
LOL oh yes she'll get spoiled rotten when she gets home ;) I'd forgotten about the lack of halitosis when this is all done - that will be a nice change from stinky yawns!  :sick:

Had an update call from the vets, she's settled in ok and seems happy. Although they did have to hide another cat that was in visual range LOL - she's a one cat gal, so I can imagine she was not at all impressed with someone else in her area!

She's eaten too which is a relief as she normally goes off food when stressed.

I'm missing her loads, especially at dinner time, and I will again at bedtime too no doubt. But that's one day down almost, now have to get through the morning without too much phone watching tomorrow..

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 11:50:25 AM »
Get yourself ready for her homecoming party. You are having one aren't you?  :evillaugh: Keep yourself busy in the knowledge that by the time she's home she'll be in a much better position to live a full and happy life with no toothache and sweet, sweet breath  ;)

Sending Keep Calm vibes and a couple of these for strength  :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 10:14:46 AM »
hope it all goes well star had a dental a couple of years ago with a few extractions, she was a bit sleepy but otherwise fine

Link to CatChat