Author Topic: Can anyone help me with my wondering cat?  (Read 6327 times)

Offline ewest

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Orlando
Re: Can anyone help me with my wondering cat?
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2013, 15:06:34 PM »
Thanks guys, hope so! Orlando is a maine coone, quite huge and getting bigger every day. x

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2013, 14:44:31 PM »
Aren't they beautiful  :Luv2: I've always wanted an all-black cat and he has such a sweet face. Orlando looks maine coonish and very elegant. They'll be firm friends by the winter and you'll find them snuggling together.  :Luv:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2013, 15:48:01 PM »
They're a beautiful couple and look like they have been together for years.  :Luv2:

Offline ewest

• Adult Cat
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2013, 11:34:06 AM »
Hello, Just because someone mentioned pictures here's the link to the rehoming page on the rspca facebook page, Oscar and Orlando are my two . .

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152079742858709&set=a.10152068808513709.1073741831.98939578708&type=1&theater

x x

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Mouse
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2013, 15:08:57 PM »
So glad you got Oscar! Hope they continue to get on. it may be all that Orlando needs to stick around.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2013, 06:28:05 AM »
I'm so pleased that they've become friends. First, the playing together, but come winter and they'll be snoozing together.

Two cats are thrice the fun.  :rofl:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2013, 19:23:31 PM »
I don't think we've seen any pictures of your two babies have we?

Offline ewest

• Adult Cat
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2013, 15:47:18 PM »
Thanks!
 And thanks everyone for the advice. No doubt I'll be on here again in not too long with another kitty crisis. x x

Offline DottyyBB

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Dotty and Blue. My other lovelies Dixie,Jasper & Rosie R.I.P
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2013, 15:13:17 PM »
That's so good to hear that they are bonding, I knew they would as your situation sounded just like mine. I guess the wacky races have started which is great to watch after the stress and tension it puts you under wondering if you have done the right thing by introducing a companion. It helps with Oscar being a kitten as well as in my opinion it's always harder to introduce a adult cat with a resident cat. Your news has made me smile today.....  ;D ;D ;D I hope you all have a long and happy life together..... :hug: :hug:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2013, 13:53:24 PM »
That is great news, I am so glad it is going well!

Offline ewest

• Adult Cat
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2013, 09:16:46 AM »
Actually there has been, as rightly predicted a miraculous turn around. By the end of Monday night they seemed to be getting on ok, so I gave them the run of the apartment together while I was at work on Tuesday and I came home and they were acting as if they'd known each other years. They play for hours and Orlando was even licking Oscars head, all they do is play at the moment they don't sleep together or anything but its only been 4 days.
Orlando has asserted himself regarding the food now, he eats first and Oscar can no longer push him away from his bowl, they both seem to have a weird mutual agreement to swap bowls mid way through though. Hissing has stopped but most importantly they're not scared of each other anymore so no running and hiding from either party.

Orlando is very patient with him even though he gets tiered first and just sits there while kitten continues to tug at him. I think that they're going to be fine actually and Orlando now has company that he seems to be enjoying. So so far . . . . so good.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2013, 08:40:36 AM »
It's just possible that you're misinterpreting the situation. I've noticed that DOMINANT cats tend to give way to smaller cats, especially at meal times; for example, Lucy always allows her sons to eat before she does even though they know she's their bosscat!

Orlando may be feeling a little jealous. Make sure you give him plenty of attention. It might be worth feeding them in separate rooms for a short while.

Offline ewest

• Adult Cat
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2013, 17:11:42 PM »
I know thats whats completely taken me by surprise as well. Especially as he plays with the yappy dog next door for hours fearlessly. But this teeny tiny kitten scares the hell out of him! He's a maine coon so just massive!

I know its terror as well because he pulls the same face he pulls when we go over bumps in the car. Such a wimp.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2013, 17:07:29 PM »
We are trying to introduce a little 10 year old female (Cleo) to my big 20 month-old male (Alfie). She is quite bolshy, he is frightened of her, obviously not realising that he is about 3 times her size! It got so that he didn't even want to come into my room for a cuddle cos it smells of her, so we have had to take a step back and keep Cleo in her room more in order for Alfie to regain a bit of territory.

I really want this to work as the new cat is my SIL's, we have taken her because SIL has gone to live abroad. it might just take a bit longer than I had hoped as I hadn't expected big, strong Alfie to be such a wuss!!

Offline DottyyBB

• Adult Cat
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2013, 14:10:28 PM »
Oscar's matured early with being neutered at 4 months old. He could be still a bit sore from the op if it's only been a week and this could be another reason why he is a bit more guarded and hissy towards Orlando. I'm sure they will be both be great mates soon....Keep us updated ..... :hug: :hug:

Offline ewest

• Adult Cat
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2013, 13:53:15 PM »
he was nurtured last Tuesday, but probably needs longer than a week for the testosterone levels to drop - luckily he responds to a loud "no" when he's hissing and stuff.

I just want them to be besties right away but know in reality it could take a long time! As long as its normal and not a sign they'll hate each other forever I'm happy :)

Offline DottyyBB

• Adult Cat
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2013, 13:45:21 PM »
Ooooo poor little Orlando, he obviously thought Oscar was spitting at him as a sneeze and a spit are quite similar. It looks promising though with Oscar already being around other cats, I think that a big part of his bravado is that he's with a new cat. I would just supervise them for now as so far no scraps which is a very good sign as Orlando seems to be a submissive cat just like my Dotty, only she is the younger of my 2 and I have to step in on occasions when Blue gets too rough who then sometimes turns on me as he thinks he's the boss....little monkey  :naughty: :naughty:

Also Oscar will calm down when he has his bits off... :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Offline ewest

• Adult Cat
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2013, 13:14:56 PM »
Yeh, he was rescued from a grotty pet shop about 9 weeks ago. He has always lived with other cats but until now always been the eldest the "uncle" they said in the shelter, so he has always been the leader of the pack which completely explains his attempts to dominate Orlando. Although also rescue, Orlando has for the past 7 months been the doted on, only pet, and seemingly not picked up any of the skills required to assert himself in front of this little kitten. I'm utterly sure if I can fend off the bullying they will be perfect for each other. I held the kitten quite firmly this morning and Orlando got brave and even rubbed noses with him, but when he sneezed - Orlando bolted and hid under the bed again.

Oscar picked up super fast that Orlando is scared of him, chases him away. I just need him to start holding his ground and we're off!

Offline DottyyBB

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2013, 12:54:58 PM »
You are right it is harsh to spray them with water, I wouldn't do that as it will deter them from eating altogether. I would just stand with them both and just tell Oscar "No" and just move him away from Orlando's dish so he can finish eating what he wants, after Orlando's finished if there is some left then Oscar can have it. Oscar will soon learn that you are the boss and you share the food out. I think this will stop happening eventually as I guess he's only used to a fixed amount. Also I would use this technic when playing with them both at one time and if Oscar gets a bit boisterous do the same say No and move him away a bit. Do you know Oscar's background?

Offline ewest

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2013, 12:40:21 PM »
Ok that's a bigrelief.

I think it might take a bit more than 3 days for these two. The hierarchy issue is going to be tough to nip in the bud because rspca weren't wrong when they said Oscar was bolshy! And Orlando is soft to the point of pathetic, so I will have to watch this kitten very carefully. I read somewhere you're supposed to spray them with water when they eat each others food but that seems a bit harsh! (Maybe I'm too soft too)

He chases Orlando under the bed - its actually very funny but poor Orlando. Ok well it is only day 3 and they only see each other in the evenings at the moment. So we shall see how it goes!

Everything crossed.

Offline DottyyBB

• Adult Cat
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2013, 12:24:35 PM »
hey ewest, thats great news to hear that you have a companion for Orlando and from the RSPCA too ;D ;D

I had both Blue and Dotty from the RSPCA some 3 years apart, Dotty was a baby and I was concerned that Blue would not take to her as he really dislikes any feline visitors we have outside his home let alone inside. What you are doing is absolutely fine so keep doing the same as it can take up to 6 weeks for things to calm down. I would not worry too much about the hissing as junior will be weary with Orlando being bigger. I would say that Orlando is a little beauty for not reacting nastily towards junior, try not to let junior eat all of Orlando's food though as Blue does that with Dotty and it can in my opinion reinforce an hierachy which I tend not to like as I see them as both equal and are treated as such. This time next week they will be the best of buddies..... :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline ewest

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2013, 11:42:31 AM »
Hey Guys.

On your good advice I decided to get my cat a companion, sooner rather than later while he is still young. I called the RSPCA who were wonderful, they came to my home and sussed out the situation and confirmed that it was definitely worth a try, and even waited until they had the perfect rescue cat for me, a bolshy and chunky 4 month old neutered male.

So I just need some advice with step 2. I have followed to the letter the advice the RSPCA gave me in regards to their integration. I have rubbed each others scent all over the place, they have at the moment only supervised access to each other, with separate litter trays, eating stations etc.

Their behavior so far seems to be pretty much text book. Its only been two days and last night they both slept on my bed (all be it at opposite ends) however my 1 year old male seems to be a bit of a wuss round the kitten. He's curious and follows the kitten around but when the kitten turns round and reacts sometimes hisses he bottles it. Runs and hides then comes stalking back.  I even caught him just standing there watching mournfully while the kitten having finished his own food, turned on his. He didn't try and stop him or anything!

I'm not sure what I've done to raise such a wuss. But I fear this will have all been for nothing if this Kitten winds up being a bit of a bully. He has to be at least 5 times smaller than Orlando! He's so curious and can't stop watching this kitten and edges as close to him as he dares each time. He's desperate to play I can tell hes even tried playfully pawing him, but the kitten is too aggressive at the moment and chases him away. can anyone advise if this is normal, or if there is anything I can be doing to persuade Orlando to, at the very least stand his ground?

Thank you! x x

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2013, 19:40:49 PM »
Although cats in general can be a bit iffy about having another cat around, some cats really do benefit from having a feline friend.  Given that you're out such a lot, another cat may well be the answer.  I may be wrong but I think maine coons are generally quite sociable?  Although I have had a few problems with my 2 cats (currently aged 16 and 7 but I introduced the 7 yr old as a kitten when my older cat's brother passed away), they are both cats who need companionship and I think they both benefit from having the other around.

Good luck!

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2013, 17:07:14 PM »
Obvious question: is he neutered? Entire toms wander far and wide. I'm assuming that he is. Are you leaving him for long periods without food? Try one of those automatic feeders which you put food into and which open at set hours of the day so that your cat can have something to eat while you're at work.

Another cat sounds like a good idea if you're prepared for the extra expense and cat fur. Don't worry about your boyfriend, he can take antihistamines, or a running jump.  ;)

Offline DottyyBB

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2013, 18:58:57 PM »
I hope so for you both....Good luck and you never know you may just get a better job closer to home....Fingers crossed.... :hug:

Offline ewest

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2013, 18:52:08 PM »
I know I would love too, its just a big commitment.

Thanks though. I hope this resolves itself the thought of re homing him devastates me and I already resent my job, imagine if it caused me to have to lose him. too sad.

Offline DottyyBB

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2013, 18:41:35 PM »
I will not kid you, it can be stressful to begin with as I introduced my 4 yr old Siamese Blue to my 12 week old kitten Dotty about 15 months ago. He would not have her for love nor money at first. He would not eat, he hid and would shiver when I came in to give him a love which really upset me. Blue lived in the bedroom with my hubby for 3 days and I in the living room with Dotty while we gently introduced them to one another through slightly open doors at first but then after 3 days, they were fine and have been inseparable ever since. It is like wacky races here everyday with them chasing and playing with one another which is really funny to watch. So don't be put off by the worry because it will be worth it in the end for both you and Orlando.  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 18:46:03 PM by DottyyBB »

Offline ewest

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 18:11:46 PM »
Ha ha ha Yeh could do . . . oh dear the thought of getting another one makes me really anxious. Im not sure if it's going to solve the problem or double the stress, but i just can't conceive re homing him.

Offline DottyyBB

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 18:06:55 PM »
Just tell him that it won't make his allergy twice as bad with having a brother or sister for Orlando.....Great name by the way, my favorite place. If you have a sister for Orlando you could name her Florida..... :rofl:

Offline ewest

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 17:54:39 PM »
ha ha ha ha ha ha!

I don't think I should state that to him as a reason for acquiring another animal.

Offline DottyyBB

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 17:50:09 PM »
Cats are forever love, boyfriends come and go... :rofl:

Offline ewest

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 17:42:38 PM »
I could try, but that sounds even more effort to arrange than another cat. My friends got kittens looking for a home, I might volunteer to foster for a while and see how they get on. Problem is Orlando is MASSIVE. he could eat a kitten in one gulp. He does play with the neighbors kittens though. My boyfriend is allergic to cats and already doesn't like coming to stay, I think another one is going to throw him over the edge. Oh dear :(

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 17:35:46 PM »
The other possible solution could be that you get someone to come in to look after him once or twice a day until you can spend more time yourself.. 8)  8)

Perhaps one of the people who has been feeding him?

Offline DottyyBB

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 17:22:43 PM »
Don't worry, it's twice the fun.....When they get to know one another. I would suggest though that you get a kitten as he may not be too happy with a older cat and this could make the situation worse...Good Luck  :hug: :hug: The other possible solution could be that you get someone to come in to look after him once or twice a day until you can spend more time yourself.. 8)  8)

Offline ewest

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 17:10:54 PM »
Its not harsh, I agree with you.

The job is not forever, so its looking more and more likely like i'll have to get him a play mate.

Oh dear.

Offline DottyyBB

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 17:03:02 PM »
Hi, It's such a shame that you have to work long hours and this is what the problem is. He is missing human company or any kind of company from what you say. It's not your fault that you have to work but it is a bit unfair that your lovely little boy or girl has to be on their own for long periods of time. I would either get him a brother or sister or really think about rehoming him as it's clear he is searching out company and Maine Coons due require alot of attention....Don't mean to be harsh, just being honest..... :(   :(

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 16:56:49 PM »
Perhaps he has something like struvite crystals, which can cause life threatening blockages so they really need to stop feeding him NOW  :sneaky:

Offline ewest

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 16:50:46 PM »
That's actually a really good idea!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 16:47:26 PM »
I'm going to keep him shut in for a few days in the hope he remembers where home is and forgets about the other places.

If he has regular feeders you could pop round there and tell a little white lie saying that he is now on a veterinary diet due to X condition and could they please not feed him  :sneaky:

Offline ewest

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 16:43:53 PM »
Hi

Thanks!

I will get one of those collars thank you. unfortunately I don't have a garden he accesses the outside world through my kitchen window. I think he would love a friend but I'm not sure I could handle it.

I'm going to keep him shut in for a few days in the hope he remembers where home is and forgets about the other places.

Thanks again for your help.

Ella

Link to CatChat