Author Topic: Recommended cat food  (Read 2052 times)

Offline Bluemoon

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Jumpy, Pixie, Gracie & Bogey
Re: Recommended cat food
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 17:34:23 PM »
My cat Jumpy is on the RC Sensitive wet chicken and rice - he also can't eat the dry version! He can eat the dry Advanced Nutrition crunchies from Pets at Home, they seem to be ok for him, they are quite low in grain.

He also has Butchers Classic which is good for sensitive tummy cats! And Hilife fish, I would like to find other things he can eat too though, as I think the RC is making him pile on the weight lol!!  :innocent: (He loves finishing up the other cats' bowls...)  ;D

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 15:09:56 PM »
I had good results with rc senstive for my bengal, she can eat anything now but her first few months with us before the vet suggested rc it was terrible

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 19:41:26 PM »
Pleased its going well  ;D

Offline ToffeeandCookie

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Toffee and Cookie
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 18:32:06 PM »
Hi all,

Just to give you an update. I've been giving the two cats/kittens the royal canin sensitivty control chicken and rice wet food and slowing moving them over to Natures Menu wet. They both appear to love the new food and so far tummies are fine. As they are still growing Im also giving them a little bit of the JamesWellbeloved kitten dry just to top up the two sachets of Natures Menu and again - so far so good!

Phew!  :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 21:05:51 PM »
Lupin my birman came to me at 10 months old and is now ummmmm 2 1/2yrs.

His tummy was terrible and he ended up on RC GI food but after months he was bored of it and I had to find something else that didnt .

That turned out to be Tesco chicken in jelly!

Next move was to Sheba little morsels of chicken and turkey but they stopped mkaking that a few months ago and he was refusing to eat any other Sheba and losing weight..........sigh

Tried Felix poultry in jelly but not keen and he is now eating the fish selection and previouslt couldnt eat anything fish.

He also could not tolerate any biscuits but have noticed he has become a secret biscuit muncher and nibbling Proplan salmon biscuits the others have, they hate JWB!

I think part of his problem was hoovering everything in sight and just eating too much too fast and agree with Helen that any change needs toi be slow.

Also I think some of the high meat products are often too rich for some cats.
I would also be wary of food that is too rich which some mos

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 20:37:22 PM »
Pleased to hear that their tummies are still under control  :) Whatever food you decide to go for make sure you switch them over gradually to avoid any tummy upsets.

I posted this on another thread recently...

I was in the same boat as you a year or so back, I managed to wean Riley back onto normal food (Bozita - high meat content and grain free) and *touch wood* he's been fine but the best sensitive food I found as an alternative to the RC sensitivity was Kattovit sensitive from Zooplus. It's a pate rather than chunks like RC but both my boys eat it very enthusiastically. I always keep some in the cat food cupboard now in case of dodgy tummies!

The 85g tins work out to 58p each when you buy them in the 12 pack. If he likes it then you can get the bigger 175g tins (two portions) which works out to 91p per 175g tin, equivalent to 44p per 85g tin.

12 pack of 85g tins: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/kattovit/158608

24 pack of 175g tins: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/kattovit/61651

Dry-wise mine have JamesWellbeloved, this was recommended by the vets when they were having their tummy troubles (which I never did get to the bottom of but *touch wood* seems to have been an isolated period) as it's hypoallergenic, they also do a cereal free one too. If you do decide to try JWB, you can buy small 300g bags, the only thing to be aware of is that JWB are discontinuing some of their range so make sure you buy from their 'new' range as otherwise you'll only be able to feed it for a few months  :tired:

Details of the ranges are here: http://www.wellbeloved.com/products/cat-food

Offline ToffeeandCookie

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Toffee and Cookie
Recommended cat food
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 17:06:35 PM »
Hi

Can anyone recommend a good wet food? Kittens are currently eating Royal Canin Sensitivity Control Chicken and Rice wet food.
they have a history of poorly tummies when given whiskas or royal canin sensitivity control dry food - so just wondering if there were any other alternatives I could try?

I will keep them on the RC SC wet if i have to - as they do like it - just wondering if there was anything better for them out there?

Also wondering about good dry food (mainly meat) as with the weather getting warmer, I am keen for their food not to spoil. Assuming of course that there is such a thing as a good dry cat food!

suggestions much appreciated!

Many thanks!
Kat

Link to CatChat