Author Topic: interferon  (Read 4297 times)

Offline KittyNic

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Sam, Codex, Jacob, Munchkin & Chutney too!
Re: interferon
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2014, 22:33:54 PM »
It certainly sounds like Benji is making good progress. Here's hoping this continues. :-)

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: gizmo, gingurr, nemo, mittens and brujo. always with me, leroy w murgatroyd
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2014, 21:11:45 PM »
Excellent news. Yay for Benji. Good feedback about the interferon too - thanks for the update  ;D
:) Please text CATS22 £5 to 70070 to feed a cat for a week :)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2014, 17:43:54 PM »
Go Benji!  :wow:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2014, 16:14:36 PM »
That is so good to hear, thanks for letting us know!  ;D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2014, 13:46:56 PM »
Thats great news  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 13:47:23 PM by Gill (sneakiefeline) »

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Billy and Zarny (Benji, Fred and Ginger, gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2014, 12:52:34 PM »
Just wanted to update really, Benji had a check up at the vets yesterday and she was very pleased, she had a good look in his mouth and it is in great condition, a nice pink colour rather than bright red and covered in ulcers and the back of his throat is looking good too. The mixture of oral interferon and metacam is keeping his stomatitis under control, so anyone in a similar situation I would very much recommend this route.
The vet is very impressed with his overall condition and it is the first time he had been back in some time, having been back and forth to the vets pretty much constantly for a while over this.
Will update if anything changes  :)
...pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again...

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: gizmo, gingurr, nemo, mittens and brujo. always with me, leroy w murgatroyd
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2013, 11:41:39 AM »
glad to hear benji is feeling better
i have recently been discussing interferon for some of our cats so wanted to give you some info on what our vet had said about it.
it is an anti-viral so is more appropriate for treating the FIV and other virusis (we are looking at it for a cat struggling with calichi) than say antibiotics. Our vet said that it is very effective to mildly effective in 50% of cases and not effective in 50%( this maybe just with reference to calichi though) So do keep a record on any changes because there is no point treating him with it if it not working for him. There are possible side effects too so again keep an eye out.

poorly teeth and plaque are bad in themselves but can i think also cause the immune system trouble so it is good that that has been seen to and will probably help him along with drugs.

when my FIV cat was poorly i used to cook up some boiled fish and put some chicken soup 'build-up' for humans into the bowl which he loved!   
:) Please text CATS22 £5 to 70070 to feed a cat for a week :)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 09:44:29 AM »
That's great news Jen  :) Have a lovely image in my head of the beautiful Benji 'stuffing his face'  :Luv2:

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 09:32:43 AM »
Benji is doing just fine today, he has gone back to wolfing down his food again, which is great to see.
The nurse said yesterday as soon as they took his drip out he headed straight over to the bowl of cat food (which is there for the surgery's cats, not for Benji I might add) and he started stuffing his face before they could get him in his carrier. Even the vet nurse was surprised! He does have dirty ears again so I have got some more ear drops which he hates but it's nice to have him back to his old self, I was worried about him. He has gone round face rubbing everything just to make sure it is his, including Fred, it was kind of a yep, you are mine too. Benji is lucky Fred and Ginger don't mind when he comes home smelling of vet so there is no hissing or anything. Thanks for the well wishes for him, hopefully he will be happy and pain free for some time.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2013, 20:22:16 PM »
Great news  ;D  ;D

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2013, 19:23:08 PM »
Thanks for the update, I'm glad Benji is doing well.

Cleo had 8 teeth out on Friday and you wouldn't have thought she had anything done the way she was prancing around and demanding food! She now has 17 left, so a few more than your lad.

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2013, 19:20:22 PM »
Benji's operation went well today, he is home and ravenous! He has had some food and is having a nap now. He is a bit unsteady on his feet but otherwise fine. He now has 2 teeth left, as they were healthy and firmly in place.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2013, 20:56:16 PM »
Poor little chap! I do hope that things go well for him.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2013, 19:06:02 PM »
Poor Benji :care: Fingers crossed the dental will do the trick for him  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 18:14:49 PM »
Poor boy and hope the op goes well and he can then eat and be normal aagin  :hug: :hug:

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 17:38:34 PM »
Thank you for the vibes, he has been to the vets and his last remaining canine teeth are infected so he needs a dental to take those out. He has had an antibiotic injection to last him until then. He is eating small amounts of mushed up food from a plate, so it looks like a case of little and often for him. He has actually put on weight as well, which is good.
He is booked in for the 2nd of September for his dental.

Thanks for the well wishes!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 23:55:32 PM »
Loads of good vibes for Bengi, so sad that he is like this  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 21:54:30 PM »
I use Flumax and Complivet both supplements added to liquidised food for 2 of mine the 2 pumps of the stuff are equal to a 5kg cats full food requirement

One of the kids I use it for had all her teeth removed and is hyperthyroid and she is back up to 4.8kgs her food is liquidised by me with the supplements and added water keeps her happy

Sending hugs xx
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 21:15:42 PM »
Can I have some vibes for Benji again please, if he doesn't eat his breakfast tomorrow it will be a trip to the vets.
He has slowly been more and more picky with his food in the past couple of weeks and today he hasn't managed his food at all, just some mashed chicken. He is hungry it just seems that it is too painful to eat. He is on the maximum dose of metacam as well as his interferon. He also isn't interested in his new catnip toys which arrived today, just wants cuddles and naps. For a cat that loves his food, this is not a good sign, so am worried.

Thanks for any vibes.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 22:33:39 PM »
Yes good idea to keep this thread as a diary  ;D

Pleased you were able to discuss this properly with the vet and hope the interferon works for Benji  :hug: :hug:

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 19:55:30 PM »
Just to add a quick update, have spoken to the vet about Benji and his treatment. She has said that none of the cats she has treated with it have had any problems or adverse side affects with the interferon, and that she uses it for quite a few animals due to the positive results she sees.
Also if I do see any signs that all is not well to phone her straight away and let her know.
That his blood test results came back ok, his kidneys are coping well on the metacam.
The supply of interferon will last us about 20 days and if there is no improvement then bring him back in to review everything again, but that she thinks this will make a real difference for him and she doesn't expect to see him until he is due for a routine blood test in 6 months time.
Feel a bit more positive about everything, will try him on the interferon as this is his last chance, the only option really but if this doesn't help then that is it.
I have a bit of a problem with my mouth at the moment, haven't slept properly for days, in constant pain and really irritable and down so the idea of Benji feeling anything like this on a constant basis is unacceptable.

Thanks for the support on here, it really helps, will try and keep this thread going as a kind of diary for Benji and how he seems.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :thanks:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 00:24:04 AM »
No experience here but just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you both and hope that you get a bit more info tomorrow to help you decide re the medication  :hug:

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 22:18:30 PM »
Thanks for the advice, have written down some questions to ask as the vet is due to phone tomorrow when the medication comes in and hopefully the blood tests will be back too. Until I speak to the vet I won't give him the interferon for now.
Just to add Benji is eating fine, the pain in his mouth has never stopped him eating, so the weight loss must be due to something else, he is eating as much as he always has and gets plenty of treats on top. He has had a quiet evening napping with a few hugs thrown in, thanks for the well wishes and hugs for him, they are much needed.
Will reply when I hear from the vet, if only so I can keep track of things
Thanks again  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 22:10:34 PM »
My old boy Sooty (now RIP) had it a few times. He didn't have fiv or similar but he did have really bad gums which wouldn't clear up with normal treatments, and it was getting so bad that we were getting to the point where we might need to consider pts due to his quality of life.  It was about 6 years ago so my memory is a bit sketchy but he definitely had it injected directly into his gums under sedation when he was 18+ years old.  It made a really big difference quite quickly and the effects lasted a few months I seem to recall.  It's not the sort of treatment to try on a whim, because it's a very powerful drug with a price tag to match, but if it's getting to the point of last resort, you may have nothing to lose.  It certainly worked very well for Sooty several years ago.

Gentle snogs for your little one x x

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 19:36:04 PM »
Just a thought I have 2 on liquidise kitten food for different reasons I hasten to add = Clio had 9 teeth out 4 weeks ago and is on kitten food with Flumax and Complivet both High Calorie food supplements as her Hyper T numbers went a bit OTT results in today now stable on her 15mg of Vitalda in smoked Salmon = she is nearly 14 and feral

Wispa is on liquidised as he has Calichi and we found this was the easiest way to get food in him both are on 6 sachets a day with the food supplement in the breakfast one - Wispa also had Metcam injections when I think he needs them as it seems to work better than the liquid = we have them in the cheese section of the fridge along with the insulin for Millie and he also has a Covenia injection monthly and is putting on weight slowly

The vets thinks I am mad liquidising kitten food but it works and is high in calories I also soak biscuits in hot water and then add cold and liquidise to they seem to like that and its is a bit more bulking - I have a hand blender that does all the work
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 19:04:43 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: for you and Benji.

I'm  sorry I can't help you with the interferon question Jen but you do deserve better treatment than you've had from your vet.  If I were you I'd write down all the questions you have in the most objective way that you can (not easy I know) and then phone the surgery.  Explain that you were a bit emotional at your recent  consultation but now you've had chance to calm down you have some questions you would like the vet to answer.  If she's busy or not in, ask when it will be convenient for her to phone you back.  She should be prepared to do this.

When  Biggles was poorly last year I spent ages on the phone with the vet and he also used to ring me to see how Biggles was doing between visits to the surgery.  All the vets in my practice do that, without charge.

Looks like Gill beat me to it.  ;D

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 18:55:23 PM »
So sorry to hear Benji is not doing well...............I wonder if stress from the move is not helping?

I believe interferon was suggest to someone else on here a long time ago but dont think she ran with it as its quite a serious thing to do.

I would definately go for a second opinion soon and of course the metacam will eventually affect his kidneys but to have any quality life he needs to be out of pain.

Dirt in the ears can be caused by earmites but she should have seen them! An infection is another thing all together.

You need to write all your questions down starting now while you remember them and add when you think of any more.

Keep the paper with the carrier so you dont have to rememb er to find it when you go to the vet.

You could also ring the vet that saw Benji and ask the questions you have now, it can be done over the phone, just say you were too stressed at the time and forgot all you needed to know.

Quality of life is a very important issue and so is being pain free even if it means a slightly shorter life.

Sending cuddles to Benji and  :hug: :hug:  to you

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
interferon
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 18:45:25 PM »
hello,

Just after a bit of advice and help really, first some background information on Benji's health.
He is FIV+ and has severe stomatitis/gingivitis. He has had almost all of his teeth removed to help this, leaving 2 canine teeth and some front teeth which are to remain as this area of his mouth is least affected.
He has been on metacam for some time for his mouth problem, a recent vet said the only other option is interferon injected into his gums but this is experimental and not necessarily right for him and so to keep him on metacam with an occasional course of antibiotics when needed to improve his quality of life.
Over the past few months I have noticed a gradual decline in his condition, he was on a 3kg dose of metacam every other day and showed no signs of pain or discomfort on this. He is now on a 5kg dose (the maximum he can safely have) every day and he is still showing signs of pain and discomfort. I have also noticed signs of kidney failure, he has gone from me never really seeing him drink to drinking vast amounts of water. As a result we took him to the vets today, I admit I was a bit emotional as I expected to be told there really isn't more that could be done for him. I explained that we are having concerns about his quality of life, he is becoming withdrawn and spending more time alone, and then suddenly following me everywhere like a shadow. He is playing less, seems to have less energy and is not quite himself. He lashes out more when he is in pain and has increasingly started pulling his fur out.
The vet has said he can go on oral interferon, has given him an antibiotic injection, taken a blood test and said he has flea dirt on him and his ears have an infection. The vet has said all of his symptoms I believed were indicative of him being in increased pain were from these issues. I can't see the flea dirt she has mentioned (although we have flea'd them all and will be getting a house flea killer thing) and he has always had quite dirty inside ears, we have an ear cleaner we use once a month for this reason, other than being grubby what are the signs of an ear infection?
I am not happy with the consultation, I know this is my fault as well as I get quite emotional and forget questions and things when going in. I also left realising she didn't even touch on his quality of life, what the interferon will accomplish and any side affects to look out for.

Just wanting any experiences of using interferon in this way, I find it odd that no other vet we have been to has suggested this as a possible treatment option.
My fiance is leaning towards contacting another vet for a second opinion and so am I, but just thought I would ask on here too.

Also just to add he has lost half a kilo in weight since he was last weighed in February, which is quite a lot of weight for him and as he has a large frame I find it to be quite noticeable.

Thanks for any help and sorry for the extra long post

Jen and Benji

Link to CatChat