Author Topic: Purely wet cat food - any opinions?  (Read 14162 times)

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Bebe & Bruno
Re: Purely wet cat food - any opinions?
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2014, 08:28:34 AM »
Well I found it a bit cheaper online so have ordered some. 48 pouches for £33.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2014, 08:16:19 AM »
I recall back in the 1970's when Arthur was a popular brand of cat food, they always boasted that it was also taste-tested by humans.  Well apparently a number of manufacturers still employ human taste-testers to try out their dog and cat foods, inculding Marks and Spencer.....  :sick:

NikNakNoo - fingers crossed for your vet visit today.   :hug:

Mollycat, hope Bert settles with the kattovit

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2014, 23:55:43 PM »
A RC food was what Lupin ate along with probiotics given by the vet to cure his severe tummy probs when he first came her at 10 months old

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2014, 23:40:05 PM »
I've found it online ...48 pouches for £40  :shocked:

Is there anything similar that's a bit cheaper?  :scared:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2014, 23:17:53 PM »
Thats the stuff most vets sell it
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2014, 23:17:31 PM »
RC stands for Royal Canin if that helps you search. 

I haven't been able to find Royal Canin with both kitten AND sensitive in the description though.  Lots of online stores stock RC kitten including Pets at Home.  If you have a PAH nearby, perhaps you could phone them first to see if in stock.  Our cats used to go ape for the RC kitten biscuits when they were little.  I would however go and see vet tomorrow and ask his/her advice.  Diarrhoea can be pretty dangerous for kittens so I would get to the vet before Friday  :hug: :hug: :hug:

How is Bebe?  Think you mentioned in another post that she wasn't eating?   :hug:

Bebe is doing much better today. She's eaten two pouches, biscuits and had plenty of water. She's even played too so I think the shock of having a new little brother is easing a bit :)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2014, 22:34:02 PM »
Just found this ....

http://www.royalcanin.co.uk/downloads/vetlibrary/dietary_sensitivity_in_pets.PDF

Royal Canin Sensitivity Control diets are also suitable to help manage pets with diarrhoea due to other causes.  In such cases,the diets present a low digestive challenge. They are suitable for use in adult dogs and cats, puppies and kittens.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2014, 22:23:32 PM »
RC stands for Royal Canin if that helps you search. 

I haven't been able to find Royal Canin with both kitten AND sensitive in the description though.  Lots of online stores stock RC kitten including Pets at Home.  If you have a PAH nearby, perhaps you could phone them first to see if in stock.  Our cats used to go ape for the RC kitten biscuits when they were little.  I would however go and see vet tomorrow and ask his/her advice.  Diarrhoea can be pretty dangerous for kittens so I would get to the vet before Friday  :hug: :hug: :hug:

How is Bebe?  Think you mentioned in another post that she wasn't eating?   :hug:

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2014, 18:07:08 PM »
I can't find RC sensitive kitten wet food....any ideas where it is sold??

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2014, 16:51:34 PM »
Would go with RC sensitive kitten if you can get it and the kitten biccies usually work

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2014, 16:45:48 PM »
Hi, sorry to hijack this thread but can you feed an 8 week old kitten Kattovit? Poor Bruno still is having tummy trouble. He has a vet appointment for 5:20 on Friday with the option of taking him tomorrow as an emergency case. I just wondered if he has a sensitive tummy and needs high quality food. If I can't feed him kattovit is there any other kitten food especially formulated for sensitive tummys?? Thanks all

Modify to say that he's currently on whiskers kittens pouches because that's what he was fed on before we got him.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 16:46:58 PM by NikNakNoo »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2013, 16:36:17 PM »
Cats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually thats how mine reacted too

Offline mollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2013, 08:31:01 AM »
Well the decision has been made, he ate two pouches of Purely and won't eat any more. Looks like I'll be on Zooplus today so thanks for the suggestions, will give the Kattovit a go. :thanks:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 23:47:09 PM »
I'm interested in the Kattovit sensitive that you mention Helen.  Is it a coarse pate (like the old formula Sheba terrine) or a smooth, sticky one like the RC chicken and rice or duck and rice alutrays?  If its the latter it's a definite no because the RC alutrays are the only thing Biggles has ever refused to eat.  :shocked: Actually it wasn't so much that he refused, more that it was so sticky he just couldn't swallow it.  :rofl:

Hmmn, a bit in between really! It's quite smooth and dense but it fluffs up with a fork - the bowls are literally licked to pristine white with not even a crumb being left so it seems easy enough to eat  :naughty: When I pull off the ring can the boys get that over excited fluffy thing going on at the base of their tails so it certainly smells good to them!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 18:29:54 PM »
The smooth sticky pate you mention Carol sounds like gourmet and I mix it with water to make it easier to eat.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 18:01:23 PM »
Have to say that you only need to spend £19.00 on Zooplus to get free delivery and pay 50p for parcel force who we use as they know where our house is and the nice delivery man phones me to say my order is at the sorting office and what day can I leave the gates open so he can deliver it and pop it in the garage for me :shocked:

I get my clumping clay and all my tins from Zooplus as its so much easier to have it delivered rather than try and get it from a store to the car and when buying in bulk it works outs a lot cheaper and fuel efficient

The only thing they can't match is our wood pellet cat litter as we have a good price with our local petrol station

We have some at the Clan who only eat wet ranging from the Boris at nearly 7 months to Clio at nearly 14 and I have my biscuit eaters who won't eat wet food for love nor money and all are thriving ;D

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 17:49:48 PM »
Korky loved the PAH Simply wet food but because he had kidney disease I tried to get more information on exactly what was in it (phosphorus in particular).   The lady I spoke to on their UK helpline was very nice but didn't know any more than was on the box label and when she tried to get more information from the makers in Thailand she came up against a brick wall, so I decided to give it a miss.  I should add that this was at least 4 years ago so it might be a different story now.  I'm not being any help at all am  I.  :evillaugh:

My Biggles is on the RC Sensitivity wet pouches for vomiting rather than diarrhoea and in addition to being eye-wateringly expensive I find they make his stools very dry, almost to the point of constipation, so I'm interested in the Kattovit sensitive that you mention Helen.  Is it a coarse pate (like the old formula Sheba terrine) or a smooth, sticky one like the RC chicken and rice or duck and rice alutrays?  If its the latter it's a definite no because the RC alutrays are the only thing Biggles has ever refused to eat.  :shocked: Actually it wasn't so much that he refused, more that it was so sticky he just couldn't swallow it.  :rofl:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 22:08:01 PM »
Most UK cat foods do say what sort of meat eg Chicken (min 4%)

This is felix, whiskers , sheba, gourmet, Tescos and suspect Sainsburys and the same for Purely which is over 4%

The problem I have with Zooplus is the packing charge and the amount of an unknown food you have to buy.

Somehow I doubt they would send you samples but you could ask.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 20:56:37 PM »
Posted this on a different thread, defo worth a try and is apparently very palatable as both my two squeal and squeak the second I lift the ring pull off  :naughty:

As below when you buy the bigger tins in bulk each 85g portion - which is the  rough size of a normal pouch of cat food - works out to 44p so a great value alternative to RC and not much more than regular supermarket type cat foods!

If you buy in super-bulk (spend £75) you get 5% off all orders with the code STOCK-UP so even cheaper if you're buying other stuff too.

I was in the same boat as you a year or so back, I managed to wean Riley back onto normal food and *touch wood* he's been fine but the best sensitive food I found as an alternative to the RC sensitivity was Kattovit sensitive (from Zooplus). It's a pate rather than chunks like RC but both my boys eat it very enthusiastically. I always keep some in the cat food cupboard now in case of dodgy tummies!

The 85g tins work out to 58p each when you buy them in the 12 pack. If he likes it then you can get the bigger 175g tins (two portions) which works out to 91p per 175g tin, equivalent to 44p per 85g tin.

12 pack of 85g tins: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/kattovit/158608

24 pack of 175g tins: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/kattovit/61651

Dotty, I feed Bozita and have done since my two were little. They love it and not only is it a high meat content food but it's grain free too and very cheap for what it is. It is very rich though so I probably wouldn't recommend it for a cat with a dodgy tummy until he/she was long term stabilised. We never did get to the bottom of Riley's tummy troubles, it started off with vomiting and extreme lethargy and he ended up having to stay overnight on a drip - he then had a long-ish period of a runny bum which was helped greatly by RC sensitive and probiotics, I then switched him to Kattovit and gradually weaned him back onto Bozita and (touch wood again!) he's been fine for a few years now.

Offline DottyyBB

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Dotty and Blue. My other lovelies Dixie,Jasper & Rosie R.I.P
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 19:32:26 PM »
Hi Mollycat, It does make me chuckle when the ingredients list says min % meat content especially UK manufactued cat food. I have researched this subject quite a bit and they never say what the meat actually is but are not surprised to know that its the bits or animals that we humans would not even look at, never mind eat, well not knowingly anyway. Wet food is just what it says on the packet, 75% water. But this is not a bad thing as an all dried food diet can lead to obesity and kidney problems. I have read alot on this forum about Bozita which is a swedish cat food in both wet and dry form which reportedly has 95% meat content and have read good reviews about this product.  :) :) :)

Offline mollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 19:05:13 PM »
Thank you, much appreciated  :thanks:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Purely wet cat food - any opinions?
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 18:46:20 PM »
My cat was on RC sensitivity pouches  for a while and the cost is eye watering! Luckily he's fine on normal cat food now (touch wood!) but I did find a more reasonable alternative from Zooplus, I'm on my phone at the mo but when I can get to the PC I'll find the details for you.

Offline mollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 18:43:36 PM »
 ;D Yes I seem to remember him leaving a splat of them on the floor sometimes even when he had some teeth.

It's good to know that it won't do him much harm as I've felt mean not letting him have any.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 18:38:58 PM »
Yes thats what teethless cats do and it doesnt cause any problem unless he gobbles too many and then he will just upchuck them all again  :rofl: :rofl:

My fully toothy cat Misa does this and you will often find that cats with teeth just swallow them whole too...........sigh

Sasa only has two teeth left I think and she eats mostly biscuits and is able to give me a warning nip!!

Offline mollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 18:35:09 PM »
Thanks Gill,

He loves biscuits but swallows them whole so I thought this may not be good for him?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 18:32:13 PM »
Hmmmmmmmmmm lol

Cats without teeth manage biscuits fine  ;D ;D ;D  well if they like them!

Mine dont like Purely but they are fussy and often stoopid cats........sigh

I think that Purely will be fine as long as its not too rich for his tummy, so would watch that aspect.

Offline mollycat

• Adult Cat
Purely wet cat food - any opinions?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 18:22:47 PM »
After a bout of the runs a few months ago, my vet recommended Royal Canin Sensitivity. Bert loves it and no more stomach problems either. The problem is it is so expensive, I order in bulk online but it still costs a lot, so would like to feed at least one pouch a day of something cheaper (can't have dry food as he has no teeth).

Tried him on a pouch of Purely chicken from Pets at Home today which he really liked. Does anyone know if this is a decent food? It says min 45-49% meat, but I know some of you know a lot about ingredients.

Thanks

Link to CatChat