Author Topic: Louis: Ill or Not  (Read 2946 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: Louis: Ill or Not
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2007, 01:59:16 AM »
My first thought on this is that cats' eyes naturally go oval when they're feeling emotional, frightened, or playful. Do you have an excitable cat?
This may be normal for your cat, and nothing to worry about now that he's been checked by the vet. I don't personally think the FLV testing was necessary, but at least this has put your mind to rest.

It may have be wise for your vet to give your cat antibiotics for the abscess.

Good luck.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2007, 01:34:44 AM »
Thank you for asking about Franta, he seems to br much better thank you.

Its horrible having to wait and worry and pointless saying dont cos I know all day on Thursday I could do anything. Your vet sounds like he is trying the very best for Louis and I am so pleased those tests were negative  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2007, 22:25:55 PM »
Glad your boys and snuggling up and fingers crossed the vet can get tothe bottom of the problem quickly.

Big hugs to you and the boys  :grouphug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2007, 21:48:23 PM »
Thankyou so Much Sam...........well he does have a bite mark which can be one of the causes.............I always thought an abscess was bad enough

Its going to be a long weekend waiting to have his tests done  Monday  :( :( :( they did say if he seemed to be in any pain or stops eating,drinking etc then to take him back over the weekend.

The good thing that has come out of today is Louis and Gizmo for the first time in weeks are snuggled up together even though he smells of the vet...I'm so happy as its been horrible to see them fighting

Thanks all again and I will keep you posted

xxxix

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2007, 21:39:36 PM »
Am glad that the tests so far have shown nothing serious, but bet you can't wait for them to figure it out completely!! Good luck.
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2007, 21:13:23 PM »
Hi all after a few less fingernails the vet has just called. The FLV and FIV are both negative thank god.

Everything else is normal apart from a slight raised urea of 11.00

Louis is going in on Monday morning to have some further tests. One theory is Horners syndrome(sp) I dint have a clue what that is but will try and look it up later if I have the spelling right.?or tonometry UVI .

He didn't say weather the abnormal shapes were an indication Lynn I will ask him on Monday he was absolutely intrigued by his eye shape and that one of the eyes were slightly tilted at times. At least hopefully after his tests Monday I will have a better idea whats wrong with my little man.

Gill he didn't want to give him anything for the bite at the moment until he finds out whats wrong I have to keep it clean with boiled salt water...hope Franta better today  :hug:

Ela have spoken with my friend and she is going to try and trap the cat and then we are just going to take the poor chap to the vet and have him chopped.....it really makes me angry as its not his fault he is intact and I'm sure he doesn't really like being a bully...will let you know if we catch him

Lynn will try and get my daughter to take a piccy of his eyes and put it up....im afraid im a dingbat where piccys are concerned

Thankyou all for your support it means a lot  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

xxxxxxxxxx

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2007, 19:15:21 PM »
im still confused  :Crazy:  did the vet suggest why he thinks fiv/felv could cause abnormal pupil shape ?

also would it be possible for you to take a piccy for me, you'd prob have to do it in better daylight with the flash off, im most intruiged tho.

hope all results come back ok.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2007, 18:48:21 PM »
Glad to hear his blood pressure is OK.  So I assume the vet also thought there was someting not right with his pupils?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 18:37:59 PM »
forgot to ask how long the FIV FLV tests

The in house results only take a few mins

Is it possible that you could ask your local rescue to borrow a trap for the stray, then perhaps you could have him neutered flead and wormed and if no one will willing to take it on permanently ask the rescue to put the cat on a list waiting to come in.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 18:39:17 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 18:34:33 PM »
I am no expert but I believe its the test for FIV ect that need to go to Glasgow cos of false positives, Des and others know this stuff.

Please there is no blood pressure raised, and hope they can find the reason for the pupil change.

Did u get anything for the bite, if not watch it carefully cos they often turn into abcesses, Franta had one yesterday and had antibiotib injection.

Hope every thing goes OK  and they find the reason quick. ;D

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 18:29:40 PM »
We are back from the vet after a very noisy and traumatic journey.....Louis hates the car with a passion  :(

They really are not to sure whats wrong...he has a normal temp, his heart rate was 180bpm (vet stress) . The only thing that were obvious were the weird shaped pupils his glands are a little swollen and a bite mark on his spine  :(

He put some liquid in his eyes to enlarge the pupil and said there was no indication that it was blood pressure thank god.

They have taken bloods to do normal bloods and also to test for FIV FLV  :'( :'( :'( :'(. They are also after the results going to have him back to do other tests an eye pressure test and urine samples etc if the bloods are inconclusive that is. They are hoping to phone me back with the normal bloods results tonight fingers crossed

The worrying thing is there is an UN neutered male that has appeared about 6 weeks ago. The poor little chap is filthy. I dint understand when they can get a voucher for free they don't get them done. A friend of mine has tried to catch him to try and find the owner as we said we would willingly pay to have him done, saves him fighting all the time. He has been seen bullying my boys but its not his fault

I forgot to ask how long the FIV FLV tests take and can they do them at the surgery.................another long night ahead.

I must say the minute I took Louis out of the basket he never murmured and was such a good boy I'm so proud of him
I will let you all know as soon as they phone me

Thanks all for everything

xx

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 15:36:42 PM »
good luck at the vets.

I got abit confused as to wether it was one eye or both that are affected..cats pupils are supposed to go oval shaped when theres alot of light ? (both are meant to be the same tho)

i'll be interested in what the vet says.

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 14:01:27 PM »
Also to add..........Louis and Gimo are the surviving 2 of a littler of 4 I had. Sadly Smudge and Pickles died from Cardiomyopathy  at 18 months old :(. They are 7 years old)

xx

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 13:54:29 PM »
Oh dear my poor little man I do hope not.  :( :( :( :( : maybe thats why him and Gizmo have been fighting  for the past month or so where as they were inseperable brothers before  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

He has an appointment at 4.30. Good luck to me getting him in the carrier he hates it..............They tried to fob me off with a locum  >:( my babies dont see locum's

I hope its not something serious because now 4.30 seems ages away  :'( :'(

Thankyou Gill your such a star

xxxxxx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 13:54:06 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 13:41:45 PM »
I would certainly get Louis to the vets cos this is a sign that the retinas are detaching and that often is high blood pressure. If treated quick enogh it may stiop him going completely blind.

When retinas start to detach they flap and the cat can see one moment and not the next.

As they are reacting to light on and off, he needs examining now to try and find the cause, How old is he, the older the cat the more likely.
I think it is unlikely that he has damaged both in a fight but what ever the reason he needs to see a vet.

I was lucky in London cos my vet had and eye expert that came in twice a week so Kocka was seen and treated by her, thats how I know a bit about it.

Stress of some sort is likely to be the reason and a small stroke can also cause this.

Loads of luck at the vets and hope they know a bit about eyes   :hug: :hug:

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 13:35:39 PM »
sorry I noticed I had put pupil and not pupils

xx

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 13:34:33 PM »
Thanks Gill it is actually both eyes. They do react as I tested them with a torch and at times they are normal. I was hoping he would start sneezing or something just so I knew there was an indication of something...........does that happen when they have high blood pressure then to both eyes?

I know the third eye is an indication of illness thankfully but this isn't the third eye

Thanks
Gill
x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 13:31:59 PM »
is it noticeably different from the other eye?  If it is I would definitely get him into the vet and get them to have a look at it.  Actually  if I was concerned I would take him in just for my own peace of mind.

Fingers crossed it's nothing serious.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 13:30:51 PM »
Are you saying this pupil does not react to light? If so it sounds like that eye maybe blind but  I would definately get him to the vets asap.

He may have damaged it fighting but may also be the retina detaching either due to damage or due to high blood pressure, the latter you can defo treat, although I think prob both eyes would be affected.

My advice is get him to the vets and checked out .

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
Louis: Ill or Not
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 13:27:12 PM »
Hi all
For the past 5 days Louis has had like an oval shaped pupil. He is eating, purring and drinking and is his normal (spraying all over the house self) .

I telephoned the vet and they said as he seemed well in himself, eating drinking and running around I shouldn't worry. I am though as it looks really odd. He has a couple of scratches from fighting but thats the new bully on the block, they are only surface scratches though

Could it be an allergy to something outside with all the spring plants,grass etc. I know there isn't anything new indoors I BAN sparays of any kind and allow no flowers or plants. The only plant I have is an aloe Vera plant and thats way out of reach

Have any of  you lovely people any ideas or thought
Thanks
x

Link to CatChat