Author Topic: Best low phospherous food for a senior with Renal issues  (Read 2094 times)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Best low phospherous food for a senior with Renal issues
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 21:06:27 PM »
There are renal foods on Zooplus, I got one of them for Rosie, and she ate that even though she wouldnt touch the RC stuff - RC do pate as well as chunks, so might be worth trying both. She ended up mainly on senior food though, quality is much better than quantity.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 19:58:43 PM »

Main rule of thumb - if all else fails, let them eat what they want!

That's what I was taught by my superiors (the cats  :evillaugh: )

It really is the best all round  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 19:55:55 PM »
What does Monty normally like to eat flavour/ consistency wise?

Have you tried all the RC wet flavours: Beef, Chicken, Tuna?  And the other renal diets?

I currently have 2 cats with CRF: Martha 23 & Metoo 16.
Martha was diagnosed in Jan 2007, she eats 1 x can Hills Chicken Minced & 1 x pouch RC Beef a day!

Metoo we adopted last summer, already in the mid-stages, he has very little appetite and is very thin now. :(
He grazes on the RC Dry and I liquidise a RC Tuna pouch with some water and he laps some of this during the day.
I tempt him with all sorts - Applaws, Gourmet Gold, Bozita, Pilchards in Tom Sauce - warmed for a few secs in the microwave.
Of course, just when I've completely given-up, I catch him polishing off the remains of an Adult Felix Pouch, that's been left to curl up at the edges in one of the other's bowls, that I've forgotten to wash-up that morning. :rofl:

Main rule of thumb - if all else fails, let them eat what they want!

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 14:52:19 PM »
Royal Canin do a wet food for CRF cats might be worth trying that
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 14:48:20 PM »
Phoebe was diagnosed with CRF last month, so i ordered some R/C dry renal for her, but i was told by my vet this morning Not to give her renal food because she also has IBD and renal food is high in fat so he said the best thing for her condition is R/C sensitivity . I have been feeding her on wet sensitivity in the mornings and Felix senior evenings and dry renal but he said NO to Felix as well because of IBD :( So its all going to change again :tired:

BTW if any one wants some R/C dry renal i have a bag , must be at least a Kilo left.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 14:29:23 PM »
When Clapton was diagnosed CRF nearly 2 1/2 years ago, I bought every renal food going and he won't eat any of them. Since then he has been eating Felix and Whiskas senior with no ill effects (senior food is somewhere in the middle of adult food and renal food phosphorus wise). I would have to rethink it if he became very ill but the way I see it, if he is doing well on it and enjoys it, I will let him have it. He also has regular food sometimes. In fact he has a tray of Sheba salmon in Jelly once a day as although I hide his fortekor in a treat, he still manages to avoid it with other foods - He hoover the Sheba up without noticing the pill in a treat  :evillaugh:

I read something that said renal diets were developed using rats  :Crazy: and that they are unsuitable for cats and can cause muscle wastage due to the restricted protein.

Anther favourite of Clapton's is Tesco wet in Jelly. I think the gravy ones are best avoided - I can't remember the exact reasons though  :-:

I think the senior food is a good compromise as they still get to enjoy their food and it is a lot cheaper than renal. Sainsbury's seem to bee the best for offers as they always include senior wet in their offers. AFAIK, Whiskas came off offer on Tuesday so noe waiting for Felix to be on special again  :evillaugh: - all 4 of mine eat the senior wet now although  it isn't set in stone and I let them have regular food as a treat.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 14:38:59 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 13:24:20 PM »
Thanks Gillian, I have a feeling that will be very useful

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 12:45:12 PM »
Have you looked on felinecrf site? http://www.felinecrf.org/tinned_food.htm scroll down, it gives you the phos levels for lots of diff foods.

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 12:13:13 PM »
It will ahve to be wet s Monty won't touch dry food at all- we along with previous owners have tried all types of dry and he will not touch. He's on RC Renal wet and we have tried Hills and RC renal dry. He will tolerate the wet but tends to leave it until he is really hungry and a bowl of the dry would still be there a week later.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 11:52:01 AM »
Are you thinking of wet or dry, or a combination of both?

If wet, I mix normal senior food in with Max's renal food, to keep him interested and wanting to eat it, if I just do the RC renal he only eats a tiny bit as its not that appetising.

The dry RC renal goes down a storm though, a clean bowl every time I put that down, he grazes on that during the day.

If Max is having a day where he won't eat anything I put down, I give him Natures Menu but add the phospherus binder powder to make it a bit 'better' for him.

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
Best low phospherous food for a senior with Renal issues
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 11:43:14 AM »
Monty will be having a Renal diet prescribed and supported by CP but as he really dislikes it, I've been told it's fine for me to give him some other food inbetween as long as it's low phospherous and good quality. It has been suggested that I give him science plan but I am sure there are better alternatives... what do you guys will elderly puds feed them?
As I want him to enjoy his twilight years, I do want him to enjoy his food as well so wannamake sure I can give him something tasty in between.

Link to CatChat