Author Topic: Catching Mice  (Read 1488 times)

Offline Rhona

• Adult Cat
Re: Catching Mice
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 11:57:20 AM »
My two are just over a year old & every few weeks one of them brings us a 'present' (they are only allowed out during the day when we are around).  I don't think they do grow out of it.  My previous cat was still catching mice at 15 years old, although she found them in our garage so she didn't have too much of a chase!

It is pretty disturbing finding a bird or mouse that is fighting for it's life, but sadly we can do little to change a cat's nature.  Twice recently we have managed to get to a bird & mouse early enough to rescue them, which is a great feeling but still doesn't make up for the awful occasions when you can do nothing for them.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 23:47:59 PM »
My hunting cats are 6 and 10 and Kocka was about 16 when she caught her first mouse and she never stopped looking for more  ;D

Offline misslilly

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2007, 09:42:48 AM »
Hi Yvonne

My cat is 6 years old, and as I said has only started catching mice/birds the past 18 months! When she was younger it was only spiders and moths! Although on one occassion it was a Bat, I have no idea how she got that!!

My baby isn't due until April, so only in the early stages, although I seem to be getting a big belly already! I am worried as a couple of months ago a Medium said I'd have twins!!!

Thanks to everyone for the advice and support, I'm still upset about that poor mousey, although my husband got rid of it for me and he reckons it was a vole! Not that it matters what it was poor thing!

Sam xxx

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 09:37:27 AM »
Good morning and   :welcome:  to Purrs

You do not mention how old your cat is?  but it has always been my experience that the younger ones tend to be the hunters and once they get a bit of age on them then they dont seem to be bothered, but that is just my experience.  Sorry about the awful ordeal that you had that would have really upset me as well.

By the way when is your baby due?

We are anxiously awaiting the arrival of another baby on here - unless the babe arrived last night.

:hug:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 19:50:44 PM »
I am afraid keeping them in a night will not help. mine catch em during the day too grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 18:23:46 PM »
My George caught his first mouse the other day (he's 11!) and came in with it squeaking its head off - I knew there was no way I was gonna get it off him, but didnt want to sit and listen to the poor thing, so just shoved George outside again so's I couldnt hear the noise LOL!

I know its horrible, but it is their nature to this, I don't know what to suggest, except I think I'd rather let the cat finish it off than do it myself - cat's usually finish them off pretty quickly with their killing bite.

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 16:56:48 PM »
Hi misslilly,

It must have been awful for you, you poor thing.

True, it's in their nature to be hunters it's not pleasant finding prey in distress like that - I think you were really brave [and compassionate] for not prolonging the mouse's pain. My lot have accounted for their fair share of birds and mice and although I by no means like them killing, I've [somewhat] got used to the fact that there's not much I can do to stop it.

Keeping your cat in at night would be my solution too. Good luck  :hug: 

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 16:47:15 PM »
I'm with you there. I hate having to kill anything, even spiders...

Offline misslilly

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 16:38:37 PM »
Dear BlackCat

Thanks for your advice. I think from now on I'll keep her in at night and out during the day!  I can't bear to have to do that again, it was awful, poor mousey mousey!

I know it's in their nature and just instinct, but I'm such an animal lover I can't bear to see anything in distress!

Thanks
Miss Lilly

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 16:26:58 PM »
Miss Lily, the only way you can stop your cat killing mice is to keep it in a mouse-free environment. It is the price we pay for keeping predators as pets. Keeping her indoors at night will reduce the opportunities but it will still happen from time to time. Sorry, and I know it is distressing, particularly having to end the job for the cat, never pleasant to be responsible for the death of another living creature.

Offline misslilly

• Kitten
Catching Mice
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 16:21:22 PM »
Hi All

Is there anything I can do to stop my cat catching mice? This morning, an hour after letting in my cat I went out side to find a poor little mouse struggling to breath and making an awful noise!

I had to do the humane thing and kill it with a rock, but I've hardly stopped crying all day! I am hormonal at the moment (pregnant), but I'd still be so upset if I wasn't!   :'(

My cat's only killed mice since we moved to our current house 18 months ago as there is a field near by, I often find dead mice int he garden in the morning, which upsets me, but today was just horrific! I know I sound really pathetic but that poor mouse must have been suffering like that for over an hour!

My cat has a bell on her collar, but is there anything else I can do to stop her from killing? She usually stays out all night and comes in during the day. Would it help if I locked her in at night and only let her out in the day?

Any advice would be appreciated, I can't bear to have to see another poor mousey suffer like that!

Link to CatChat