Author Topic: When vets do not make it easy for neutering advice  (Read 2572 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: When vets do not make it easy for neutering advice
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2007, 16:14:59 PM »
My mums friends daughter was told by a vet her cat couldnt have kittens because its a torti   guess what happened!!

I am not saying that is what she was told but as we all know many people do not listen or hear exactly what is said, and I wonder if something like, 'if it was a male tortie etc etc'. was said. However, if what she says is true I think a word with the RCVS to advise them the type of rubbish is being advised may be  a good idea. 

I know today I told someone that our vets did a free flea check and then the treatments could be purchased from the vets or via the internet. They then phoned our vet and said Cats Protection have said you will do a free check and they will pay.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2007, 11:38:06 AM »
 :omg: I can't believe that some vets would give out such terrible advice! Thankfully, most people I know are reasonably experienced cat owners and know better, but what about cat newbies? It's like a vet lottery - whether you get a responsible one or not :Crazy: I'm shocked that so much is down to "chance". I suppose it just reinforces what I've always felt - find an experienced pet owner (for the type of pet in question) and go by recommendations.
Even without the kitten and wandering issues, I would still rather have cats "done" at 5 - 6 months (where possible - obviously dependent on how old the cat is when you get it, and it's history, in the case of rescues), for the simple fact that they recover so much faster when they are young. I'd hate to put an older cat through an op (however routine), unless ther was no other option (ie feral or stray cats adopted later in life).

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2007, 09:31:21 AM »
Just to let you know that the Animed Vets mentioned here, up near mark, is not the same as the Animed Vets that I use down here on the South Coast - my Animed is great (though I would say this I did used to work for them)  :Luv:
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2007, 09:29:11 AM »
Some shocking vet opinions, what hope is there for convincing the public to get them done with "professionals" saying things like that.
My mums friends daughter was told by a vet her cat couldnt have kittens because its a torti  :Crazy: guess what happened!! twice cos she got caught again whilst nursing  >:( luckily now been done.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 09:08:17 AM »
Cats Protection and other cat bodies are now recommending neuters/spays at 4 months.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2007, 08:15:29 AM »
Urgh, hard enough convincing people to get htem netuered early enoguh without vets being like that. My personal vet is happy to neuter as young as 4 months (apparently that is CP's guidelines at the mo), although the receptionists didn't tell me that, so Shadow waited till she was 6 months (but was a month behind size wise). Rescue's vet do it at 5 months, but the rescue lady always advises 6 months!!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 08:11:49 AM »
Although I have not had a problem getting my boys neutered at 5 months old, I think the general guidelines my vets provide are "about 6 months".   But it does vary depending on the actual vet.  When I rung up to check what time I could drop Mosi off I spoke to the vet who did the op and she asked if I didn't want to wait until he was 7-8 months.  She's from overseas (not sure where - somewhere in Europe) so I don't know if it's a cultural thing or just a personal thing.  Of course I said no I didn't want to wait and she was ok with that.

It's particularly worrying because a lot of people don't keep their cats inside until they are neutered like most of us on here would, so that leaves ample time for kitten making!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 00:04:55 AM »
My goodness vets!

We get cross at poeple who will not neuter their cats but they dont stand a chance of getting good advice with vets like these around..........its all very worrying.

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 22:00:46 PM »
There are two lovely vets at my local practice but one who never fails to amaze me with some of his weird views.  I took Bertie down there at the weekend for jabs and all the staff were commenting on what a huge cat he is, and this vet actually said it was a SHAME that I'd got Bert neutered because it would have been interesting to see how much bigger he'd have grown if I hadn't.  He also suggested I let him out at night to "prowl" and "build muscle."  I think the other vet was fairly shocked and assured me I was doing the right thing by keeping him indoors at night and getting him neutered!!

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 21:56:27 PM »
I'm trying to stay neutral on this as I don't like the man - they are next door to me. He is an arrogant   :censored:

I would imagine when he retires which should be soon, the other partners will hopefully change policy. He said he has been practising for 40 years (came from SA originally) - They failed to diagnose Pilchard's broken pelvis and it was only when he was transferred to another vet that it was picked up.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 21:47:47 PM »
Maybe the vet who won't castrate till 9mths believes that the tom should grow to his full masculine shape. Obviously a man giving this advice. I know someone with an uncastrated male; each time I mention that his cat should be neutered, he crosses his legs  :rofl:  forgetting all the begotten kittens and the roads and other dangers his cat is facing.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 21:26:41 PM »
My vet always goes for 5/6 months for neutering.

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 21:24:26 PM »
Nine months seems very old for having a male kitten neutered ... Bertie started spraying and displaying sexual behaviour when he was 4.5 months, and was neutered at 5 months.  The vet wouldn't spay his sister Matilda until she was 8.5 months because she was little, so I had to keep her indoors until then.

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
When vets do not make it easy for neutering advice
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 20:48:21 PM »
Doing my calling around to make sure that the kittens we have rehomed this year, those that are old enough get done.. One was two kitten male and female now over 8 months old.. The vet told the owner that the female was too small to be spayed yet! Although that may be the case its dosnt really stop a female cat getting preg.. The owner was abit worried and will thus go to another vet so see if she can be spayed..

We have a vet in our area Animed not far from Mark that insists on only neutering males at 9 months and not before.. By then they could of fathered many litters of kittens.. !! They dont make it easy in rescue.. Their policy on females is 8 months or so (although more flexiable), but more often then not they just refuse to do it.. I then usually say to people to use another vet..

Some vets just are a huge pain.. Yet one vet we have used will now neuter (ferals at least) from 5 months onwards.. and they dont use the buster collars either..

Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Link to CatChat