Author Topic: Where to start, what to do, what to say!  (Read 3756 times)

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
Re: Where to start, what to do, what to say!
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2010, 20:34:09 PM »
Oh No. Has Alex been any more specific. You need to get Alex to join Purrs!!!

Offline Cooper & Peanut

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2010, 20:17:53 PM »
Alex & I went to look at some puddy tats this evening! (thanks to Corporal Smokey and Diane for letting us go out of hours) I could quite easily have taken either a pair of ginger & white 12wk old boys or a black & white mother/daughter combo... :Luv: ... but Alex wasn't taken with any of them, apart from Diane's handsome boy Whiskey! (and he was a right stunner!  :Luv: :Luv:)

I feel disappointed  :(

I kept having a go at Alex on the way home, hoping to make him feel guilty  :evillaugh:

We are both keen to keep looking until we find the right pair. I just hope it happens sooner rather than later!!!  :shy:

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2010, 22:00:33 PM »
Hit the rescue and rehoming section on here , worked for me! ;) ;D

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2010, 21:38:18 PM »

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 19:43:37 PM »
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Cooper & Peanut

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 19:30:49 PM »
Thanks everyone! Your input is gratefully received!  :)

Corporal Smokey - I will PM you!

We had another talk last night and have decided to not have a criteria such as "must be boys" etc etc... I think we are just gonna have a look and see who we fall in love with...or see who choose us!!!  ;D

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 16:20:37 PM »
Come and see us at Ashfield! I'm sure we can find you a new pair of feline friends. What we have in might be slightly different to our CC page but PM me if you're interested and I'll get the latest list for you. Otherwise just give Diane or Joyce a ring on the number on the link in my signature. xx
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 15:06:31 PM »
From Gateshead CP I would say the vast majority of people who adopt from us work full time so it shouldn't be a problem I wouldn't have thought. A good rescue will judge each situation individually and speaking personally we love people like you coming along  ;D The most important thing is to find good homes and you would certainly provide one of those  ;D

I hope you find the right cats for you and they will be very lucky boys (or girls)  :hug:

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 02:17:25 AM »

Well....Possum was female and we just fancied boys!

Many years ago, my parents rescued a male cat from the RSPCA. We named him Polo and he was awesome! Started off very noisy and not very fussy, but after a couple of years, he changed and became the fussiest lap cat I've ever known! He seldom wandered off, which I'd heard that male cats are renowned for!

I'm really worried that because of our "work" situation, we are gonna find this process a real battle!  :(

Some rescues will have blanket policies, but there are many rescues on Purrs who are happy to consider every circumstance and make a perfect match. I bet there aren't many cats in rescue you wouldn't love within a couple of weeks days!  ;)
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 23:53:17 PM »
:crossed: you find the perfect pair soon enough  ;D

I was the same as you in that after losing my beloved female childhood cat the thought of getting another female was out of the question as she was my special 'princess' and another female cat would have felt like I was being disloyal so was specifically looking for two boys... until I met Kali (aka Lucas) & Riley who I thought were a girl and a boy and fell in love! As it turned out Kali was actually a boy anyway so my wish came true :wish:

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 21:25:26 PM »
Do you think it might be because Buster is another Black cat?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 21:15:04 PM »
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,32276.0.html

Ky and Boston are bonded and still looking. They aren't rescue cats, just casualties of a relationship break up. Puzo doesn't care if he goes on his own, apparently.

I would be interested in meeting them, OH isn't (don't know why, he's being very vague!!!  >:()

Sorry  :(

Aww, it's OK.  :hug: I would like to know what it is that worries him if he can put it into words. Is he concerned there's no rescue situation? Some people are.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 20:15:43 PM »
No, just me. What I meant was that even though I'm a student, when I'm on placement its like I'm working full time and with OH working full time, rescue places will think we're not capable of looking after cats.

Surely they must appreciate that people need to work. Possum spent most of her time asleep during the day so she wouldn't have known if I'd been at home or not

:shy:

ahh gotcha. i think most of the population works full time and rescues have to understand that. might be harder with kittens as they do need alot of attention but i think email round and see what response you get back. im pretty sure AARU will bite you arm off if noone else does  :evillaugh: i know we have rehomed to full time workers, id imagine most rescues are the same  ;D

Offline Cooper & Peanut

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 20:08:38 PM »
No, just me. What I meant was that even though I'm a student, when I'm on placement its like I'm working full time and with OH working full time, rescue places will think we're not capable of looking after cats.

Surely they must appreciate that people need to work. Possum spent most of her time asleep during the day so she wouldn't have known if I'd been at home or not

:shy:

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 20:01:25 PM »
[

was going to post http://www.animalaccident.org.uk/?cat=3 but thought that was too cheeky  :rofl:

and I thought we had a lot of black and black and whites in! :rofl:

do other colourings exist elsewhere???  :rofl:

why boys? (just being nosey)

I'm really worried that because of our "work" situation, we are gonna find this process a real battle!  :(

fair enough, just wondered

im not sure on what your work situation is but i think as long as you can show you can afford insurance, worming/flea and food that should be enough? are you both students?

Offline Cooper & Peanut

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 19:50:52 PM »

Ky and Boston are bonded and still looking. They aren't rescue cats, just casualties of a relationship break up. Puzo doesn't care if he goes on his own, apparently.

I would be interested in meeting them, OH isn't (don't know why, he's being very vague!!!  >:()

Sorry  :(

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 19:12:24 PM »
I also think you being out of the house will be ok to allow them to adjust to their new home for a bit x

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 19:11:19 PM »
Ah I am so glad you are offering more cats a home. They will never replace Possum as they will find their own place in your heart!!

Offline Cooper & Peanut

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 18:51:19 PM »

Many years ago, my parents rescued a male cat from the RSPCA. We named him Polo and he was awesome! Started off very noisy and not very fussy, but after a couple of years, he changed and became the fussiest lap cat I've ever known! He seldom wandered off, which I'd heard that male cats are renowned for!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 18:43:12 PM »

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 18:37:22 PM »
[

was going to post http://www.animalaccident.org.uk/?cat=3 but thought that was too cheeky  :rofl:

and I thought we had a lot of black and black and whites in! :rofl:

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 18:33:40 PM »
www.covcats.org.uk
 :rofl:

seriously, if you really have no preference, start with the rescues nearest you and work outwards....

if they are older cats id imagine you wouldnt need long at all to settle them in, tbh theyd probably be best left quiet to explore a small area on their own the first night or so. maybe a long weekend?
maybe go through rescues and see if any cats jump out to you?

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 18:21:48 PM »
www.covcats.org.uk
 :rofl:

seriously, if you really have no preference, start with the rescues nearest you and work outwards....

Offline Cooper & Peanut

• Distinguished Cat
Where to start, what to do, what to say!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 18:04:38 PM »
Okay, so me and the OH are ready for more cats. We want 2, preferably boys, not fussed if kitten or older. Thing is, when do we start looking and where?!?!

How much time at home is needed to settle new cats in? I'm at uni but on placement at the moment until Xmas, with a 'reading week' in October. Then I'm back on academic after xmas.

We are so desperate for more furbabies but not sure really what to do for the best!!

We live in Huthwaite, Sutton-in-Ashfield (Notts). We have a fenced garden and catflap. We live on a new housing estate where the only traffic are the people who live there.

Any thoughts, advice, opinions gratefully received!  :shy:

Link to CatChat