Author Topic: Who reads the Vicky Halls books?  (Read 1534 times)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Who reads the Vicky Halls books?
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 19:15:49 PM »
I have to admit I think The Complete Cat was my least favourite book of hers too.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 18:25:58 PM »
I like the behaviour books but I was a bit disappointed in The Complete Cat.  It was a very basic cat care book and I didn't feel there was anything  new.  Think it was that one that had a list of breeds and traits/potential problems too?  I thought that was a daft space filler.  I do wonder whether she has seen enough of a particular breed to make generalisations.  I know she will have seen a lot of cats, but only the ones with problems and for some of the breeds listed she can't possibly have seen sufficient numbers to make any sort of generalisation about that breed.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 13:32:17 PM »
It was me that said that cats aren't an exact science not her to my knowledge

Sorry, Liz - I think I either misread or you mis-worded! ;)

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 13:09:13 PM »
It was me that siad that cats aren't an exact science not her to my knowledge

Stray cats and ferals make up the majority of our family and we seem to have less issues than most

Ours also live as 2 colonies during daylight hours then mix in the evening and most of the time all get along but like human siblings they all have their moments!!!!

We are just greatful ours do get along and I have never given up on any cats feral/domestic or pedigree without a lot of heartache and soul searching - just one didn't fit his name was Ainsley and he hated my old blind dearly departed Bertie so Ainsley became a cat at a 5 star hotel and has now bought in 3 feral companians from the hotel grounds and is living the life of riley

All experts have experience but so do us cat owners and each can learn from the other - just my opinion
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 13:01:00 PM »
People will only call her when theres a problem tho, alot more people wont call her because they are fine with their semi feral and stray toms  ;D

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 12:49:04 PM »
I figure she's seen a lot more negative circumstances regarding multi-cat households than positive in the course of her careers. (VN and behaviouralist) That's bound to make someone dubious about it.

I actually agree with her about "most things cats are not an exact science and every situation is different" though; sorry Liz! :shy:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 12:37:27 PM »
I also remember reading she didnt rate feral kittens/stray toms as worthy of adoption as they dont make easy pets which annoyed me, 4 of mine have feral parents but they are not anyless perfect then the other 2 with domestic blood :Luv: Dexter fits her description of stray toms that turn up and cause trouble but i know of plenty more who dont fit that profile

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 12:21:53 PM »
Same feeling about the multi household she was horrified at the thought of ours!

I do read the books and take some of the advice and some with a large pinch of salt like most things cats are not an exact science and every situation is different! :shocked:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 12:16:49 PM »
I've not read them all but some of them.

I agree with Dawn though I get put of fwith her views on multi cat households.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 09:51:39 AM »
Meee! She's my favourite author on feline behaviour. She's currently my tutor as well. :)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 08:49:47 AM »
I've read them all and been to a lecture - she is a bit down on multi cat households for my liking though and was a bit mean about my bengal at the lecture!

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
Who reads the Vicky Halls books?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 22:02:43 PM »
I have just finished the first one and now am reading the second but have bought the third already as they really are so good! Not only are they informative but she writes very well. A great read if you are interested in behaviour.

Link to CatChat