Author Topic: when can i let our little kitten out...  (Read 2482 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: when can i let our little kitten out...
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2008, 13:29:31 PM »
frankie is just a moggie...

Waddya mean JUST a moggy?  :shocked:  Frankie, you're a bright and shining star  :Luv:  ;)

luv Noni, Freddie, Billy W & Tom
xxxx

Offline maccat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2008, 12:30:28 PM »
thanks for all the replies.... i would prefer to keep him and i think based on the below I will :)  Although we can supervise him he is just so fast i do worry he will just do a runner and get lost.   

frankie is just a moggie...

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 22:18:56 PM »
I don't think she'd exactly describe them as big lumps who sit around doing nought all day but hunting ain't their bag as I recall and I'd guess they wouldn't give Lucas & Riley much of a run for their money in the play or agility departments either. 

So .... sorry but that is as far as my Persian knowledge stretches so I bow (low and long) to your experience  :bow:

These are my experiences with MY persians - other peep's persians may be different LOL! Now, I'm not sure  if even mine could give Lucas & Riley a run for their money, BUT, Joe would have a dam good try, that I do know  :evillaugh:

Oh, you may arise now (mind yer back though!)  :evillaugh:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 21:40:20 PM »
Whoops sorry Gillian  :-[  A colleague of mine has 4 Persians and chats about them a great deal .... like we do.

I don't think she'd exactly describe them as big lumps who sit around doing nought all day but hunting ain't their bag as I recall and I'd guess they wouldn't give Lucas & Riley much of a run for their money in the play or agility departments either.  Now we all know Gwynnie is a different matter altogether and would probably bowl both off their feet with just a flash of her eyelashes ........

So .... sorry but that is as far as my Persian knowledge stretches so I bow (low and long) to your experience  :bow:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 20:03:15 PM »
Gillian forgive me but - don't know how to put this, here goes, Persians is different  :evillaugh:. Go on shoot me but tis true AND I don't think Maccat's garden is at all catproofed so might be less inclined to let such a young un out that might go bounding up garden with abandon  :scared:  Do Persians ever bound up gardens with abandon? :rofl:  Will you ever speak to me again  :scared: I am making a big assumption that Frankie is a moggy not a Persian.  May be completely wrong of course. 

Gwynnie was allowed out in the whole garden when she first went out, not just the catproofed bit - but always under supervision like I said, and yes Persians do bound up gardens with abandon, and indeed DOWN the garden with such abandon that one can easily be knocked off ones feet if not careful!  :evillaugh: Contrary to what a lot of people think, Persians arent just big lumps who sit around doing nought all day (not ALL day anyway LOL) they still do all the normal cat things including catching birds, mice and rats!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 19:41:37 PM »
Gillian forgive me but - don't know how to put this, here goes, Persians is different  :evillaugh:. Go on shoot me but tis true AND I don't think Maccat's garden is at all catproofed so might be less inclined to let such a young un out that might go bounding up garden with abandon  :scared:  Do Persians ever bound up gardens with abandon? :rofl:  Will you ever speak to me again  :scared: I am making a big assumption that Frankie is a moggy not a Persian.  May be completely wrong of course. 

I just think Maccat needs to be forewarned that it may take some time to get young un back in, esp if he manages to get out of garden and need to take usual precautions of trying to ensure Frankie responds to being called (best of luck at such a young age:-: ) and ensure he is very hungry before he goes outside for 1st time. All cats are of course very different and he may just be a complete wuz who does as he's told by his mum. Mmmmmm....

Aaah France. That explains why Frankie has been neutered at an earlier age than seems usual in UK.  I knew you couldn't live in UK Maccat as weather here has been useless. Not summer at all.

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 19:31:10 PM »
Mine are still indoor boys - They will be going out after they has been neutered. The it will ber supervised access to start  - they are already masters of the cat flap as I saw at the rescue! :evillaugh:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 17:53:06 PM »
Isn't your garden catproofed Gillian? Just a question (not loaded in any way honest!)

Only part of it Rosella, I've got 2 linked areas at the back and sides of the house (sort of patio areas) which they can access any time through cat flap. I can close those areas off from the rest of the garden if necessary (at night time for instance) - but the majority of the time the gate is open and they can go into the rest of the garden.  ;D

This is one of the areas outside patio doors of dining room at the back of the house:

Which is linked to the other area by this walk way:

Leading to the 2nd area at the back door where the cat flap is:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 17:41:42 PM »
its been lovely weather for over a month now

BTW, where on earth do you live?  ;)

France!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 17:35:33 PM »
its been lovely weather for over a month now

BTW, where on earth do you live?  ;)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 17:31:16 PM »
Isn't your garden catproofed Gillian? Just a question (not loaded in any way honest!)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 17:26:01 PM »
I wouldnt just let him out on his own, but I don't see any reason why he can't go outside under supervision after he's finished his course of jabs - i.e. out for short periods to start with, and with you there to watch his every move! My little Gwynnie was going outside soon after I got her at 13 weeks, so she would have been 14/15 weeks when I did supervised outside trips with her - and she loved it. Mind you it didnt take her long after that to work out how to use the cat flap all on her own, so I always made sure she couldnt go out when I wasnt there to keep an eye on things.  ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 17:00:08 PM »
I wouldnt let such an itty bitty kitty out that young, they are not wise enough (or big enough) to deal with what the world can offer  :(

Offline maccat

• Adult Cat
when can i let our little kitten out...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 16:55:37 PM »
its been lovely weather for over a month now and we have spent loads of time outside, frankie meows at the door as he wants to come outside.  He is only 10 weeks and we cannot let him out for another 4 until his jabs are complete (as loads of cats around who are not vaccinated including the 2 boys upstairs in the flat above) and he has been neutered.  But can i let him out after this... he was feral and we were hoping to keep him indoors but I just know he wants to be outside.

any advice or experiences will be much appreciated.

Link to CatChat