Author Topic: Where has the wee gone?!!! (litter question)  (Read 1285 times)

Offline Puffball (Louise)

• Senior Cat
Re: Where has the wee gone?!!! (litter question)
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 19:30:05 PM »
After many experiements lugging various sacks of litter up 3 flights of stairs I now use World's Best. Yes it's pricey but I've only got the one cat and it's lightweight on my back, clumps brilliantly on liquid waste, lasts for ages and the cat likes it... but then she's such a darling she doesn't seem bothered what I use, it's me that's the fussy one!  :rofl:

Offline bren

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 23:13:46 PM »
I now use oko plus it's brill I have 4 cats it clups really well so wee's and poo's are easily removed last ages and no smell. I tried the litter you are using now but was'nt happy with t and my cats wer;nt that keen either

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 20:37:15 PM »
That does make sense as, even though she's an only cat in this household, she used to share her house with two others and came to us as she was a soiling cat so that makes sense! Ho hum, I guess i'll just have to explain when people come round! If people are cat people (as most of my friends are) it's ok, but when you've got a date round and you hear that lovely digging in the litter it can become embarrassing, but love me, love my cat  :naughty:
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 20:32:22 PM »
some cats are just useless at burying poo. I have read it is the sign of a dominant cat, but I have had quite timid cats do it so am not convinced by that argument. But by leaving it on the surface, so everyone can enjoy the bouquet, they are very clearly marking their location and territory ...  :sick:

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 20:22:04 PM »
Ahhh right! I know it sounded silly, but with Katie being my first cat and even though i've had her two years, i'm still learning!

I'll stir it up - thanks for the tip!

Katie finds it ok, but her scratching in the tray has definately lessened, so maybe she doesn't find it as comfortable... it certainly does make a racket when she's in there!

Are there any litters that you've found that encourage digging? Sounds silly, but she doesn't tend to bury her poos which contributes to smells, but I don't mind really!
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 20:17:21 PM »
The crystals do absorb the wee, so that is where it goes! Some cats find it a bit scratchy on the paws, so it puts them off using it but don't know much more than that about it.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 20:16:24 PM »
yes, perfectly normal. the crystals are hygroscopic (absorb liquids) and so just get yellow. You do have to stir it around daily as it tends to accumulate at the bottom of the tray and when you go to empty it you will find yourself overwhelmed with the ammoniac stench if you have not done this  - so be warned. A good deep stir at least once a day. You will know when it is past its use-by as there will be traces of liquid in the tray base ...

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
Where has the wee gone?!!! (litter question)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 19:55:58 PM »
Hey, i've just changed Katie's litter as I couldn't manage to carry the normal heavy stuff home. I bought Bob Martin Premium Crystals and put it in there. She's using it fine, but where does the wee go?!

The poo is fine and I can scoop that out fine, but the wee doesnt clump and I can't take it out. There's no smell and it almost like the litter has absorbed it all (even though I can see that some of it is yellow  :sick: )

Is this normal?

I've never used one of these kinds of litter before and just wondered if it was ok! I've found it really good litter and would buy it again, but I just want to know if this is right

Link to CatChat