Author Topic: Why do persians always look so grumpy?  (Read 5384 times)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
Re: Why do persians always look so grumpy?
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2008, 20:23:57 PM »
Gillian that persian is adorable, has she got similar lines to gywinnie ?  i can see similar looks.  Thats what i call and ideal persian, A proper nose with a muzzle and i could see no breathing issues with that one at all.

Dawn, the worst thing with the flat faces is that they are harder to tube, once they are intubated then really during the anaesthetic isnt the problem coz you've got a patent airway but you should be more watchful post ga when they are coming round.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2008, 20:00:24 PM »
Malteazer is lovely, I think that kind of Persian face is really nice, I wish there could be a turn in tide.

Me too, malteazer is a stunning example. Jills little poppet barely has a nose, its like a pink spot  :(

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2008, 22:31:39 PM »
Malteazer is lovely, I think that kind of Persian face is really nice, I wish there could be a turn in tide.
Please spay your cat

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2008, 16:14:29 PM »
I always wanted a cat called baby but oh vetoed it because we don't have kids he thinks people will think that I think it is a real child (not my problem lol!!)

I'm the other way, I have a cat called Josh which seems to be the number one name for small children in my neck of the woods!
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Puffball (Louise)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2008, 16:11:45 PM »
Oooh Malteazer is a little doll, what amazing blue eyes  :Luv: :Luv:
I just love the open faced (aka doll faced) persians... so pretty.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2008, 15:55:13 PM »
I always wanted a cat called baby but oh vetoed it because we don't have kids he thinks people will think that I think it is a real child (not my problem lol!!)

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2008, 15:49:28 PM »
awww she's lovely - and I love her coloring.  :Luv:

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2008, 15:46:17 PM »
I'm glad they are ok, I think about them quite often

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2008, 15:42:45 PM »
Angie is this the same lady who took the cats from the marks cats thread ages ago and if so how are they??

Yes ,and they are all doing well. Weasel the bengly is still beating everyone else up (except her brothers) when she's not out destroying the local wildlife or smashing things to pieces in the house :evillaugh:

Baby is a permie 'cos of the extremeness of her nose and the green snot.
Jill is currently trying to get onto broadband (she went with Tiscali last week, threw a tantrum at their lack of customer service and I think is currently going back to BT). She does have a purrs id but has forgotten it!  :Crazy: else she could say all this for herself!

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2008, 14:43:00 PM »
Another thing that I find helps with breathing is to have Smokey in the bathroom with me when I have a shower. He likes it because I talk to him and he chatters back but I have it hot and the steam seems to work wonders. It's the same when I'm cooking tea. If I have veggies/spuds bubbling away, I make sure doors and windows are closed and the kitchen gets all steamy for him.

Some mornings when he sits on my head to hint that it's breakfast time you can hear him wheezing and he licks his nose. I'm sure he's a little extreme because I think he must've had cat flu but it upsets me to think of him in even the tiniest bit of discomfort.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2008, 14:21:56 PM »
Awww Gillian, she's beautiful  :Luv:  :Luv:  Abigail's mush is pretty flat, she is gorgeous but I was on pins when I got her spayed, I always worry with their breathing, I'm not sure if it makes any difference with the anaesthetic but worrying all the same.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2008, 14:19:19 PM »
If this is the case, it's up to the breeders to make a stand. 

It does sound as if these particular breeders don't really care about their cats and they are just there for there own importance  >:(  >:(

I agree, and yes, there are breeders who just care about winning  >:( -   my Gwynnie's breeder doesnt breed extreme cats, one of the reasons I chose her, plus I like the way she keeps her cats - not shut up in pens, but allowed the full run of the house and garden. Mind you she does show her cats, and she has lots of winners - but she wins by choosing the classes that have judges who prefer less 'extreme' faces. I suppose if that happens more and more, it could change the tide.

This is a Champion bred by her (called Malteazer!) - you can see her face is really quite open, nothing really extreme at all, and yet she's a champion

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2008, 12:38:05 PM »
we had an exotic in blue cross, Alfred, whos nose was like a little dent under his eyes his breathing was awful  as a quick aside Angie is this the same lady who took the cats from the marks cats thread ages ago and if so how are they??

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 12:24:29 PM »
So sad  :( and when you see them flawless and perfect like that white one you wouldn't believe the state they get into. I wouldn't even know how to keep a persian looking quite as good as that, I clean Smokey's face at least twice a day but it's brown again within seconds it seems!

I keep three kinds of cotton buds and several different shaped make-up sponges to get into the crevices by his nose and eyes. Make up sponges are the best thing I've discovered to clean his eyes as the fibres don't come off.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 12:21:39 PM »
and so breeders just breed higher and higher noses, because they want their cats to win shows.  :(

If this is the case, it's up to the breeders to make a stand.  As long as it's deemed acceptable, breeding cats with potential health issues will continue as will dogs, but reputable breeders should have a duty to those animals to make sure those lines are phased out.  It does sound as if these particular breeders don't really care about their cats and they are just there for there own importance  >:(  >:(

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 12:11:31 PM »
This is the extreme type face and contrary to the dog thing (I really like the look of the longer faced sog) this type is not recognised by the GCCF as it is deemed cruel.

Sadly though, there are a lot of judges at cat shows who prefer the higher noses, those cats therefore are winning, and so breeders just breed higher and higher noses, because they want their cats to win shows.  :(

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 10:29:39 AM »

How come she is a perm at only 18 months?

I was thinking that. I'd love another scrunty* persian to be frieds with Corporal Slimy-eyes.

*not sure if that's a real word but OH uses it to describe Smokey.

This is the extreme type face and contrary to the dog thing (I really like the look of the longer faced sog) this type is not recognised by the GCCF as it is deemed cruel.

[attachment deleted by admin]

ccmacey

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 00:11:28 AM »
Ahhhh Sam  :Luv:

Baby is lovely too, she does look a little grumpy, maybe the grooming she has just be subjected to lol

How come she is a perm at only 18 months?

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 23:50:09 PM »
I couldnt find the extreme of pictures i was looking for but can you see the difference on these pics  :tired:

There is actually a guy breeding bulldogs in uk, he adores the breed and was on gmtv a couple of years ago.  He CANNOT show them because he purposely has bred them to have a slightly longer nose as he feels this progressively shorter and pushed in nose is nothing short of cruel (wish all breeders were like that)

nb..the bottom pic is one of the bulldogs that cant be shown even though its proven pure blood dating back centurys but the kennel club wont accept its nose/face  >:( >:( >:(

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 23:51:39 PM by CurlyCatz »

Dark Moon

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 21:49:41 PM »
I agree wholeheartedly CC.  I isn't limited to Persians. Blue Boy came when I was but 6 months old. I do not remember a time without cats.... He was a seal point Siamese. You would be hard-pressed to recognize him as one such now. Now they are so narrow and pathetic looking............

I do not dis breeders. But I do believe that we have tended to breed the very things from them that made them special in the first place.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 21:29:59 PM »
I get so upset seeing persians that extreme   :(  >:(

why oh why oh why will they not stop breeding these practically noseless cats (and dogs) its just a bloody shame on the poor creatures.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 20:33:41 PM »
she'd just been done with ? happy eyes?

She's quite well in herself bless. Her coat is just sooo thick and her feet are so furry - Jill trimmed off a lot of the foot hair.
Her very tiny nose is always oozing green gunk  :sick: but she has such a soft personality and loves to be picked up and held.

We had to do the chinchilla as well and I'm still picking out bit of cotton wool fluff from all sorts of crevices! :-[

Dark Moon

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 20:18:38 PM »
Persians look grumpy???   They don't!! Well, o.k. They do sometimes (as do I. Well, I mostly always look grumpy - but that's another story!)

Yes, from time to time we all get our pictures taken and the results don't show us as 'bright and happy' as we might be. I just had mine taken for my drivers license again and I look as if I (a) slept poorly to not at all the night before, (b) have awoken with a terrible case of indigestion, (c) have already had annoying run-ins with half the Universe, and (d) am ready to kill the next being who even attempts to come near me! But, oh hey - that IS how I normally am in the mornings. Oh well........ My point being.........

Have had a couple of Persians and Himalayans (all rescue babies) as well as crosses thereof. They CAN look grumpy and out of sorts. But they can also look.... well, manic (Grendel... gorgeous black boy. Tended to sit with half his tongue hanging out....); completely happy (Pip... well Pipkin, but called Pip) hanging half upside down from the chair, for no apparent reason except that it made him happy); happy and content beyond words (Medb, when curled on my Mum's lap); forlorn, (my lovely Muff (Mufflet) when tucked inside my steamer trunk hoping to go unnoticed so she could be packed along with my stuff and so accompany me off to wherever it was I disappeared to for months (University - it was a long time ago); and so on until now with my incredibly loved Winston - regal. He knows he is King!

But, yes, I suspect there is no one who can do 'grumpy' quite like a Persian.  Unless it is me in one of my drivers license photos!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 20:02:29 PM »
Whaddya mean grumpy?!! LOL! - Sammy is positively smiling in this photo LOL!

By the way Angie, theres a couple of great products for cleaning those gutters from the tear staining that I use one is Eye Envy www.eyeenvy.com and the other is Topline Kleenface http://www.dezynadog.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=1072&osCsid=fe814eac962e35eb2c34a4a51f5a56d8 - don't know if Jill's tried them? both are really good, eye envy's more expensive and has to be refrigerated, but kleenface doesnt and its cheaper, but both need to be used at least every day, sometimes twice a day - and thats a bit like the Forth road bridge too! LOL!

Baby is lovely  :Luv2: - bicolour coats are especially difficult when it comes to grooming!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 19:55:24 PM »
Poor Baby and hope you dont mind me saying but reckon she doesnt look too well  :hug:

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 19:53:52 PM »
She is such a sweetie - and what a fab stripey coat she has - a bit like a humbug  ;D :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 19:50:43 PM »
Awww she is gorgeous bless her  :Luv:  :Luv:  :Luv:

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
Why do persians always look so grumpy?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 17:36:30 PM »
Baby is one of Jills permanent oldies / illies.

She was found dumped and has a streaming nose all the time - what there is of it! :rofl:
Luckily Jill doesn't mind mucus of the cat variety. Baby is abuot 18 months old.

An acquired taste methinks. Couldn't do with all that grooming myself - a bit like the Forth Bridge!

Mind you she had just been subjected to a 30 min pulling-hair-out at the roots session.

Link to CatChat