Author Topic: When our cats bring back ''presents''  (Read 3838 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: When our cats bring back ''presents''
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 16:28:50 PM »
Taz got me a zebra finch this afternoon, found him under my bed licking it.
He is the dumbest cat i know but he is the only one to manage to catch anything  :evillaugh:

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 13:14:07 PM »
This morning at 10am we got a mouse delivered at our breakfast table. Lovely, but I do prefer cereal still. It must be the weather - it's all warm and sunny in our garden and the shrublands behind it. Jameson was in such good mood, and so proud of the mouse. I can never be mad at him. Now he is in a deep coma-like sleep with a smug smile on his face.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2008, 22:00:49 PM »
Oh yes our old cat often brought us presents. I have come home to a frog still alive, nearly had heart failure, a racing pigeon which the vets kindly took care of free of charge. All variety's of birds, alive and dead sometimes all that was left was a claw or a wing :Crazy: We tried everything to try and stop him collars with bells on etc but unfortunately non of it made any difference, the local bird population must have breathed a sigh of relief when he passed on to the bridge :rofl:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2008, 17:16:01 PM »
Two Christmases ago on Christmas Day I opened the back door to find a perfectly in tact dead mouse waiting for me. What a thoughtful Christmas gift!

I don't know which one it was! But I'm betting it was my oldest tom, he's always liked giving me gifts. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2008, 12:41:48 PM »
Sofa used to bring tons in but as she is mostly blind now Freddy brings them in for her its so sweet, definately  :Luv:

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 11:33:26 AM »
Aww what a thoughtful christmas gift! Bet the little one was all proud too!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 11:30:33 AM »
Two Christmases ago on Christmas Day I opened the back door to find a perfectly in tact dead mouse waiting for me. What a thoughtful Christmas gift!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 01:46:38 AM »
Misa and Sasa love mice, Misa likes them only when they are alive and he can play with them. They feign death and he leaves em and when they come alive again all hell breaks loose!

I have found felix pouch boxes great for catch the live ones but have to get the cats out of the way first. Went though a two week period last year and about 10 mice were brought into the house and one bird, dead thank goodness.......well I mean I would rather it was alive and outside.

I will remember about towels for birds........sigh.

I think Sasa can catch birds on the wing and she eats them.

None of these mice are presents for me, they are toys for them  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 23:30:48 PM »
Mine are mostly indoor but they've been going out into the back garden for an hour a day for about a month now. Bringing something in is my worst nightmare. Birds I could cope with but I'm absolutely terrified of rodents and think I'd die of a heart attack if one brought one in, dead or alive. Belle has been bringing in random bits of rubbish that has blown into the garden though, a couple of crisp bags, and a scrunched up plastic cup lol. Is this his version of bringing me a present, does anyone think?

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 21:53:59 PM »
Just last week Geoffrey brought me a live pigeon in bed, an unexpected act especially considering I don't have a catflap and all the doors and windows were shut.  We can only imagine that breakfast was served by falling down the chimney  :Crazy:  Geoffrey was a housecat for 8 years before coming here and this was his first experience of catching anything  :rofl:

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 21:41:45 PM »
That is a great idea, will dig out old towels for potential trophy/cat catching.

And, Homer - what a great name for a cat!! Love it!

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 21:36:21 PM »
Useful tip Lucy

I have not had any presents for a long time as Homer has only just started to go out and Spotty is quite elderly and cannot be bothered
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 21:33:34 PM »
 :rofl:

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 21:30:30 PM »
Have to admit I only realised it worked as first time I had just got out of the bath and was standing with one towel around my hair, the other around me. I chucked both of them over cat & bird ,leaving me...!  :rofl:

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 21:27:41 PM »
What a good idea will keep two towels handy ;D

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 21:23:51 PM »
Binky used to bring birds in, still alive. I developed the method of 2 towels, one dropped on bird, the other on cat, so we could remove and release bird.

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 20:57:48 PM »
Archie has not brought alot of presents home. Last year we had a white finch, do not where he got it from, we rescued it and took it to the vet.
At new year we had a mouse that unfortunatly was beyond rescue :(

My friend woke up one night to find a live rabbit on her bed that her little furry had brought in. :evillaugh:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 20:41:51 PM »
My lot are indoors at the most important times for prey, dawn & dusk.
I got 2 birds last year even tho i have 6 young cats, i think thats very luckyyyyyyy   :naughty:

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
When our cats bring back ''presents''
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 19:23:22 PM »
Right.

Hands up all of you ''lucky'' ones who recieve ''gifts'' from your cats every now and then.

Jameson sometimes brings back his trophys. Only thing; his trophys are always still alive. And he usually brings them into our bedroom. When we are sleeping.
I nearly had a heartattack this morning waking up to lots of noise and a bird flapping around in our bedroom. I was hungover, with a pounding headache. I yelled at my partner ''bird!! bird!!''. He woke up, also completely cod-eyed and yelled ''box!! box!!''. (last time we had to rescue a huge pigeon using a box). Before we had both tumbled out of bed, Jameson was already out (with the bird) and was playing with it in the garden.
All of a sudden he turned up at the catflap trying to get back in again with the bird. We made a huge scene about it and locked the flap. He continued playing in the garden. Then came back inside after a while looking very smug, and went straight into a deep sleep, completely satisfied with a grin on his face.
We think because my partner has been away for 2 weeks, and just got back yesterday, maybe it was his way of saying 'welcome back, dad'.

UGH! The ''problem'' is, he brings his stuff back ALIVE! Once me and my partner had a lovely romantic dinner, with wine, soft music and candles, and through the catflap comes Sir Jameson Whitesox, with a poor mouse in his mouth. He sat down below the table and dropped the mouse on the floor as if he was saying 'there you go, mum and dad'. After a lot of yelling, catching, kerfuffling and cursing we were back at the table, cat out, mouse... umm in cats mouth. It took three journeys through the flap until Jameson got rid of the mouse, and came in very sweet and loving, purring VERY loudly. He just couldn't understand why mum and dad didn't feel like snuggles!!
I remember it so clearly cos it was such a funny sight, in a tragic way - Jameson came in with mouse in his mouth - and the mouse had a small flower in his mouth. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

He has got his catflap so we'll always be prepared for little surprises... still though.... could do without them!
Anyone with similar stories to share?

Link to CatChat