Author Topic: When to let 2 male house cats outside  (Read 1295 times)

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Re: When to let 2 male house cats outside
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 23:58:11 PM »
I agree with CC
it is always best to have a litter tray indoors as it is the quickest way to spot any problems IE: upset tummys or urine problems

ccmacey

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 23:26:00 PM »
I was asked off a person who has cats do I have a litter tray, I was looked at funny when I said yes  :shocked:

Out of my 5 cats only 1 of them will go to the toilet in the back garden (I dont have a toilet in the garden btw lol) And  my eldest cat will never poo in the litter tray, he preferes on the floor or in the bath.  :naughty:

I suppose with you living in a flat you cant tell what will happen with toiliting outside. I'd say if they are used to a tray in the house then keep it that way. I used to live in a flat and the litter tray smell got round quicker than in a house. And if you limit them to "going" outside there will be accidents and I know I'd much rather it be in the tray. I have been cleaning the poos of a rather large cat for nearly 5 years  :sick: But when its in the tray it dosnt seem as bad, better than coming down to a mine field (no really its not that bad)

Why do you want them to go outside, just cos you have moved things dont have to change. Letting them out just brings a whole load of new worries.

Listen to me talking a load of pooey lol

BC, speak for yourself  ;)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 23:27:54 PM by ccmacey »

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 22:19:34 PM »
Hi, welcome to Purrs :)

As well as being neutered, make sure that they are de-flea'ed and wormed regularly as they are more likely to pick up these things being outdoors.  Also, make sure that they are microchipped.  I don't advocate collars as they can get caught, even the so-say 'safety' collars but some others on here might disagree with me.  Also, best to keep them in at night.  Um .. what else - oh yeah, regularly check them for any signs of fighting, and keep and eye on any bites or such that you might find as they can become septic.  Oh, and make sure that they have had all their jabs as, again, they are much more likely to contract cat flu, leukaemia etc if they go outdoors.

Edit: And also, when letting them out for the first few times, do it when they are likely to be hungry, so that they will not only come back fairly soon, but also get used to coming back when they are ready for a meal.

Hope your babes enjoy their new world!  ;D
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 22:23:18 PM by Catjane »

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 20:50:42 PM »
Hi Watpoae and welcome to Purrs. I guess the first question would have to be are the boys neutered? I am guessing the answer is yes or your desire for them to take their toiletting activities outside can be well understood!!. It is generally recommended that if you adopt a cat you keep it indoors for at least 6-8 weeks. But since yours already know you, then maybe a little less time will be fine for them. It is important to introduce them to their new environment slowly though, so that they learn their way back to yours if they are given a fright by a dog or whatever. It is a good idea, even if they are outdoor cats, to keep a litter tray indoors. This helps at night when you have them inside but it is also helpful to keep an eye on their general health. Most pet owners spend rather more of their time examining poo samples than they want to I am afraid.

I am sure others can cover off on anything I have forgotten, and like I said, welcome to Purrs - it is not essential to be mad here, but it certainly helps. ;D

Offline WATPOAE

• Kitten
When to let 2 male house cats outside
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 20:34:59 PM »
I have recently moved and have 2 boy cats both are 20 months. We previously lived in an apartment next to a main road hence why my 2 didnt go out.

Now we have moved to a new house in a quiet area I want them to do outside and hopefully take their toliets activities with them ;)

How long should I leave them in and things to look out for etc..

Link to CatChat