Author Topic: Why did my new boy go to bite me tonight ??  (Read 1856 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: Why did my new boy go to bite me tonight ??
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2007, 17:39:32 PM »
I've got a biting Thomas too Betsy. He's now 18 and no chance of changing his behaviour. He will bite for all sorts of reasons and it hurts (pain due to arthritis, excitement, play etc) and you just get to know the signs of which is which as you get to know the puddie concerned.

Our Freddie also bites ALL the time just for the hell of it. I know I should really try to nip it in the bud but not an issue as he only has 2 teeth  :naughty:

Our beautiful young Billy Whiz nipped me once ever so sweetly when he got a wee bit excited from being stroked and I was so pleased that he felt able to as he is so wary  :Luv:

Offline SpecialRed

• Senior Cat
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 16:51:33 PM »
my cat bites me and rabbit kicks my wrists when im stroking his belly. I wouldnt have it anyother way, the trick is to not pull away (the mrs does and the claws get her) I never get a scratch as he is only playing.

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2007, 23:26:09 PM »
Hi betsy,

I concur with the views that he was probably saying 'that's enough, thanks'. As others have said, he would have sunk his teeth deeply into you at lightening speed if really angry.

I am not sure of his origin but our Barney also nips strongly but I strongly suspect that his original owner, who discarded him, played rough with him and we are busy trying to let him know that he doesn't need to play rough.We are getting through as he begins to realise that he is also an important part of the family.

The only other thing that I would suggest you check is that you didn't touch him on a sensitive part. Some cats hate their tummy being tickled despite giving the opposite impression. Just check that he doesn't have any lumps, cuts or sores to be on the safe side.
Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2007, 23:34:59 PM »
Ahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa you also have to learn that cat ownership means that the cat owns you  and not the other way round :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline betsy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2007, 23:31:58 PM »
 Thanks all !!  Im starting to understand this cat ownership more and more!!  :Luv:
Betsy and Thomas

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2007, 11:31:11 AM »
Awww ... the others are so right!  PLEASE don't worry hun!  It is perfectly normal for even the most loving cat to administer a nip now and then!  As said below, it can simply mean 'enough of that, thank you meowmy', or a little love nip - did you know that gentle nips between cats (and towards humans) are similar to kisses?, or it can mean they want to play(fight)!  You'll soon come to understand what he's trying to tell you :)  You probably spooked him more by jumping up than he spooked you!  He's probably a bit confused by your reaction!

Believe me, if he meant it in anger you would have known about it, trust me!! He would have been a LOT quicker, and would likely have broken the skin - and would have used fully extended claws as well - and it would have HURT!!  But that's really not likely to happen unless he gets really frightened of something and can't get away.

My little Meesh often gives me love nips, usually followed by big head rubs, whilst with Shanti it always means she wants to playfight!  She's a cheeky little minx!  Between cats, mutual grooming can often turn to playfighting, it's all about being a cat!

Edit:  Oh just thought, a fairly reliable way to tell what he means, once he's bitten you, is to put your relaxed hand close to his muzzle.  If he rubs, it was a kiss.  If he grabs with paws and goes to nip again, he wants to play (you may want to train him out of this, as they will go as far as you let them!!).  And if he doesn't respond, or walks off, then he's saying 'thanks, but no thanks, not just right now'.  The tail can be a dead giveaway too!  Twitching (or wagging) probably means either play is in order, or he's had enough.  Sabby never bites, but he will twitch his tail when he wants me to stop stroking, but will often stop twitching when I rub his head instead!  All part of the building communication milarky!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 11:39:36 AM by Catjane »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2007, 03:32:12 AM »
He was just telling you in the only way he knew that he had enough stroking for then, or even in a paticular place. Dont be worried he didnt mean to hurt you.

Franta is always doing this and also he will catch my hands in his claws and move them to the place he wants stroking  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 23:08:56 PM »
tell him santa claws is watching  :evillaugh: Mine are just getting their second wind and looking for a game - oh me, late night tonight I think!

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 23:07:48 PM »
Ah yes, the 'near miss' - I'm familliar with those...  :tired: Toby sure does keep my reflexes sharp.  :shocked:

Actually, being owned by your first cat is a steep learning curve. It takes time to get truly familiar with your cat and figure out what's what - nonetheless it is rewarding. It's the same with each cat, but then they're all different; my two are like chalk and cheese.

I wouldn't let it get you down Betsy, honest. As BC says, he's just a cat being a cat.  ;) What you might want to try when Thomas is on your knee is brushing or combing him instead and then at least you've got a handle in between him and you. Time spent grooming your cat is a good bonding tool and will give you an idea of where he likes to be touched - or not, as the case may be.

Offline betsy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 22:58:08 PM »
I managed to get my hand away before he actually caught my hand ! thanks for the responses its just unsettled me. and hes got lots of nice xmas pressies tomorrow !... :(
Betsy and Thomas

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 22:55:15 PM »
Yes if he really wanted to bite you he would have turned lightning fast and they can bite deep but nips and stuff are all part of the owning a cat experience :)

hth
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 22:52:51 PM »
don't worry Betsy, it is normal for a cat to occasionally turn around and bite you if you are petting them. If it is a light bite, it is just what I call a love bite, if it is harder, then you possibly just stroked his lower back and he responded to that stimulus. Don't be afraid of him, he is just being a cat.

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 22:51:56 PM »
I wouldn't wory about it too much - my Toby does that when he's had enough of cuddles and wants to be left alone. It's a sort of wired-in response that cats have and some cats are more tolerant of contact than others; they can't otherwise say, "thanks, I've had enough, please will you stop now".

As for the bite itself, I hope that Thomas didn't break the skin and draw blood?

Offline betsy

• Adult Cat
Why did my new boy go to bite me tonight ??
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 22:44:28 PM »
 Im really upset..Thomas was sitting on my knee and i was stroking him then all of a sudden he turned and went to bite me !! hes never done this to me before and its really unsettled me.. I wasnt over 'petting' him so i dont understand why he did this to me.. I then jumped off the sofa and he jumped off and he sat on the floor beside me.  Im  a little afraid of him tonight .. hes my first cat. :(
Betsy and Thomas

Link to CatChat