Cat General > Cat welfare Issues and News

poor conditions at animal sanctuary

(1/8) > >>

FayVD:
Hello Angie
Thank you for your moderate response which is helpful and I take on board your suggestions.  As I have said throughout my posts I am calling for improvements to be made to the sanctuary, not necessarily  closing them down, as shelters are needed unfortunately more and more in today's climate. The RSPCA is in agreement with me that improvements need to be made and conditions are very poor, but as I was told by them they have chosen not to take action as they use the shelter for their overload.
I have not come onto this site to have to justify my case to people who have not even visited the site but to try and raise support in my endeavours to raise standards at the sanctuary.  Most of the cats that come to the sanctuary are NOT feral and are living in the sheds and outside in the yards. 
For me, once you have witnessed injustice in any form, one can't walk away and forget about it.
All the best
Fay

Liz:
I have been injecting cats for the last 10 years as our last and current vets think it is safer and less stressful for my ferals, also having had 2 diabetics sort of gets a lot easier and I for one injected a feral twice a day with Heparin when he was hit by a car last year and got a saddleback thrombosis and after 18 hours in the vet I was duly phoned and handed the needles and Heparin and antibiotics after he had mauled a vet and vet nurse very badly here he was ok most of the time

Sometimes what the general public view as terrible conditions aren't as bad as they are

My ferals have 2 sheepskin lined litter trays one open and one with a hood they sleep in and we also have the bat cave an old catbox with no door that has a queue of regular sleepers

My outside ferals have armchairs and covered hooded beds but Big red still sleeps in a rather large litter tray with carpet in the bottom has done for 6 years since we moved here

I agree with Angie the private ones are like the National organisations all bells and whistles and looking at my OH feral habitat ie the wendyhouse that they love it looks very shabby after a soggy winter

Gill (sneakiefeline):
Yes you may be right Angie.

What you have said below sounds sensible I think

Angiew:
perhaps it a case that ABs need to be prescribed for a particular cat by a vet.

I think you are in a difficult situation Faye. My guess is that the standards are not low enough to concern the people who may be able to do something.

I suppose it depends on what you want to happen to this place.

Do you want it to be closed down? If you just want standards to be improved then I can only think you can contiune offering to help or perhaps do some fundraising and make sure any funds go to replacing old pens.
Negative publicity may only result in them losing some of their income and may not help.

I can certainly understand how upset and annoyed you are. I can't think of much else you can do that you have not done apart from keep plugging away at them to let you help in some way. Sadly, a lot of rescues are quite defensive.
You may find that for your own peace of mind you just have to walk away.

Do they do a lot of feral work there?

Gill (sneakiefeline):
I suspect she is not a vet.........does she really believe that diabetic cats go to the vet every day or even 3 times a day!

Also epileptic cats are treated by owners, dont know if they are injected but Napoleon wasnt epileptic but was having seizures due to an infection in his brain.............it would not be practical for him to go everyday to the vets which is a 30 mile round trip.

He had two very bad seizures in the car and thought I was going to lose him.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version