Author Topic: Rehoming policies  (Read 7505 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: Rehoming policies
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2006, 16:43:39 PM »
I'm just repeating what I've heard - or read - on forums and books/magazines.
I appreciate what you say and yes you should not let cats out once dark however. I can honestly say I personally receive many phone calls about cats that are involved  n RTA's and often killed during the daylight.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2006, 16:34:53 PM »
which appears to be the worst time for RTAs.

I personally would not say that but then again what do I know.
I'm just repeating what I've heard - or read - on forums and books/magazines. I think the argument is that motorists are less likely to see a cat at night until it is too late. There's also the possibility of cats (and other animals) "freezing" in the headlights.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2006, 14:44:14 PM »
which appears to be the worst time for RTAs.

I personally would not say that but then again what do I know.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2006, 13:56:21 PM »
I may be recalling this incorrectly but I think that kittens bred from cats that are on the non active register are not allowed to be registered with the GCCF? 

You recall correctly
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2006, 13:52:21 PM »
I may be recalling this incorrectly but I think that kittens bred from cats that are on the non active register are not allowed to be registered with the GCCF?  All cats registered have to be registered either on the active register or the non active register.  the majority are registered as non active, which means they cannot be used for breeding.  The decision to register active or non active is made by the breeder and cannot be changed by the owner - only by the original breeder.  If anyone uses a cat on the non active register for breeding the resulting kittens cannot be registered, do not have an official pedigree and will not have any papers.  The idea of this is to deter people from breeding cats for whom they do not have breeding rights - as the resultant kittens have no registration papers the "breeder" will not be able to prove they are pedigree and should not be able to sell for as much as a registered cat (and hopefully if they can't make much profit they will give up).  Unfortunately there are people out there happy to buy cats without papers, esp as they tend to cost a bit less.  This is why it's important to get papers for a pedigree cat - a lot of people don't worry about that because they don't plan to show or breed, but it's important because a "breeder" that doesn't have papers for a cat or is hesitant in giving them is very likely a backyard breeder.  Of course there's always the odd oops litter, esp where a female comes into heat early.

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2006, 13:15:10 PM »
The real problem are the backstreet breeders who only see cash signs. How can you stamp them out and wouldn't we all love to?

Would we get told off for stamping actually *on* the backstreet breeders?

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2006, 13:13:44 PM »
Hi Team,

Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated.

I will try to find out from the breeding associations. Incidentally, I have never heard of TICA although someone is bound to come up with a play on words   ;)

You're more than welcome. I hadn't heard of them before recently either. I think they are an American body but have a UK bit if you know what I mean?

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2006, 13:04:10 PM »
re: rehoming on a busy road, we live on a road that is busy at rush hour times and were a bit dubious, but CP who did our home check told us we would be fine to have an indoor cat (cheese is indoor anyway) as there is no way to escape, and the openings of our windows are high up.

So now we have Gerti who HAD to be an indoor cat anyway :) she never attempts to go out or even shows the slightest interest in it

Happy families  :Luv:

The woman would be ok IMO to have an indoor cat as long as there was no danger of escape and it was a cat that either has never been outdoors or needs to be an indoor cat anyway. Unfortunately she might end up being one of those irresponsible ones who want a cat they can leave out most of the time, despite the busy road :(

Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2006, 13:01:26 PM »
Hi Team,

Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated.

I will try to find out from the breeding associations. Incidentally, I have never heard of TICA although someone is bound to come up with a play on words   ;)
Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2006, 12:46:28 PM »

Hi Team Svartalfheim,

Can I call you team for short?   :)

Could you enlighten me on two things as I honestly don't know the answer, so bear with my ignorance.

1. Are all registered breeders obliged by the GCCF (or similar body) to register the birth of all cats or only those that they wish to show or breed from?

2. How many pedigree cats are bred in the UK per annum? I assume that there should be an idea (although not necessarily the final number) by the number who are registered with GCCF or similar bodies?

Hi Beanie,

1. All cats. You have to declare every litter when they are born and send off a form with details of the kittens etc. The registering bodies keep track of how many litters a queen has. With FIFe you are only allowed a *maximum* of 3 litters in a 2 year period (I assume GCCF is the same) but most peoples queens just have 1 litter per year.

2. Do you mean the number of pedigree cats born each year or just the amount of breeding cats? I'm sure if you emailed registering bodies they'd be able to give you a rough idea. There are a few different registering organisations, FIFe, GCCF and TICA.

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2006, 12:12:28 PM »
We wanted our cat to have one little in fairness to her

One of my many typos :doh:

Should, of course, read litter

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2006, 12:10:46 PM »
Hi Mark,

thanks for your response. I agree that many people will get an animal by any means. There is only one way to make that more difficult although, sadly, not impossible. When my friend took over a pet shop, the first thing that she did was to stop selling animals. She found homes for those that she inherited and simply stopped as she felt it cruel to keep them in cramped conditions. I would stop pet shops selling pets.

I appreciate that it only addresses one area. The real problem are the backstreet breeders who only see cash signs. How can you stamp them out and wouldn't we all love to? It can often start with the simplistic attitude ofWe wanted our cat to have one little in fairness to her. Sometimes that stops there and then but the more unscrupulous see it as a money earner, whilst pleading poverty in finding money to neuter. It is amazing how some disappear when the larger charities produce neutering vouchers to help with the financial burden.

I don't know if it was central CP policy but I recall a few years ago thatsome local CP branches would not have a collection can in any pet shop selling cats. They did not want to be seen to support that shop's practice. Personally I think this is a correct approach, unless the conditions in the shop regarding their cat care, attention and refusal to sell to anyone or do home checks was adequate and in place. My list would rule out every shop I know.

Hi Team Svartalfheim,

Can I call you team for short?   :)

Could you enlighten me on two things as I honestly don't know the answer, so bear with my ignorance.

1. Are all registered breeders obliged by the GCCF (or similar body) to register the birth of all cats or only those that they wish to show or breed from?

2. How many pedigree cats are bred in the UK per annum? I assume that there should be an idea (although not necessarily the final number) by the number who are registered with GCCF or similar bodies?

General.

Re-homing can never be an exact science insofar as uniformity of approach from rescues and nor should it. There need to be common denominators but common sense has to prevail. I know that can work both ways. I honestly believe it is one of the toughest jobs, if done properly, in cat rescue. I have never gone down this road but have seen the results of either no or totally inadequate home checks. Hindsight? No, not in the cases I speak about where conditions were such that warning bells should have been ringing like mad. Some of the worst is where re homing is a long way from the rescue and no check or a next to useless telephone check has been done. Everybody, without exception, wants to re home cats but not at any price

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2006, 10:13:15 AM »
I live about 200 yards or so from a motorway, yet I had no problems getting a kitten from a rescue. There are quite a few cats in the area, but I've never seen one dead at the side of the road. Having said all that I do live in a fairly quiet area as far as traffic is concerned, and the motorway is quite high up. And my cats are kept in at night, which appears to be the worst time for RTAs.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2006, 10:11:42 AM »
The whole rehoming issue is very difficult and I for one am glad I dont have to make that decision, but the cats safety is paramount.  A year ago my daughter in law said she would like to rehome a cat/kitten.  I knew it would not be possible.
 At that time they both worked full time also they live opposite a secondary school, the road is quiet most of the day but not at 8.30 and 4pm and I for one chased some children away one lunch time when they were actually teasing a cat.  After I gave my reasons she agreed.   Now she is home all day and they have rehomed an indoor cat.  We all need to be sensible, all of us on this site love cats but it is not always sensible or practical to have one.  We may have to wait for the right circumstances and time but hopefully that will happen.

Definitely :)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2006, 09:59:12 AM »
They even said they were only interested in an indoor cat and willing to take one on with FIV or deafness, etc, any that needed to be indoor. The rescue wouldn't even talk to them.

That's terrible  :( You'd think that the rescue would have been pleased that someone wanted to take on an FIV or deaf cat.

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2006, 09:56:37 AM »
the people who are refused will still get a cat one way or another - usually from a breeder so it's a double whammy - they are providing back-street breeders with a living
 Blanket rules are not a good thing - each case should be judged individually.

Responsible breeders and back street breeders are two different things though. Back street breeders don't give a damn who the cat goes to as long as they get as much money as possible whereas responsible breeders will question potential owners thoroughly (and turn down people they don't think will provide the cat with the right home) and quite a few will insist the cat is kept indoor only or with a catproof garden (and don't make the huge sums of money people think they do!).
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 09:59:40 AM by Team Svartalfheim »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2006, 09:33:40 AM »
Very sensible advice.

Offline shecat

• Senior Cat
  • Tilly Ollie and Loki
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2006, 09:27:23 AM »
The whole rehoming issue is very difficult and I for one am glad I dont have to make that decision, but the cats safety is paramount.  A year ago my daughter in law said she would like to rehome a cat/kitten.  I knew it would not be possible.
 At that time they both worked full time also they live opposite a secondary school, the road is quiet most of the day but not at 8.30 and 4pm and I for one chased some children away one lunch time when they were actually teasing a cat.  After I gave my reasons she agreed.   Now she is home all day and they have rehomed an indoor cat.  We all need to be sensible, all of us on this site love cats but it is not always sensible or practical to have one.  We may have to wait for the right circumstances and time but hopefully that will happen.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2006, 08:09:17 AM »
If that means I play god to use your words, I happy to stand up and be counted.

I haven't read all the comments but just noticed this. I often think Oh! I am playing God here, but I do so because I care and also must put the interest of a cat first. I know times previously where people have homed and worried because they thought really it was not  a good place to home but the people were nice.On all those occasions the cats were killed on the road.  We do not home cats to go out where people live on  main roads, bus routes etc. some say but I have a large back garden, we all know that a cat can easily scale an 8' wall. Some people say the cat will always be supervised, let a little bird rest on the top and the cat will scale that wall and be off in no time, quite recently 2 cats did this ran through a neighbours garden and straight into the path of a car.  I think it is only when you are actually in the front line of rescue and taking all the hundreds of phones calls a month that you realize the enormity of it ail. Although I have been with CP over 16 yrs during the first few years I was fostering only and it was not until I started to man the phones and do other tasks I realized what happened in reality.

We are however,  more than happy to home indoor cats and nowadays more and more people are asking for indoor cats anyway.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2006, 07:41:08 AM »
complain to the council if you are concerned over the conditions.

I agree that is what should be done however, it is the Trading Standards or Environmental Health (can't remember which at this time in the morning) that issue the license and often they look around think the place looks OK but they don't know the first thing about animals and their needs.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2006, 00:20:29 AM »
I completely agree with you but the people who are refused will still get a cat one way or another - usually from a breeder so it's a double whammy - they are providing back-street breeders with a living and denying cats from rescues a home - unless you are suggesting that cats from rescues are any different to cats bought in pets shops or from free-ads.

I know the cats interests are number one but it solves nothing denying people a cat from a rescue. Some rescues are more extreme than others. My mum refused a cat from one rescue as they insisted she kept the cat in for 8 weeks and kept all doors and windows closed in that time. CP were more realistic about it and knew that she was a responsible woman who would take every precaution possible to ensure a cat's safety. She is aware there are foxes in the area so the cat is not allowed out unless supervised and never at night. Blanket rules are not a good thing - each case should be judged individually.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2006, 00:03:38 AM »
Code: [Select]
nobody should play god
Think about that for a minute Mark. Reputable rescues, whether anyone likes it or not, will always put a cat's interests first. They would look to provide a safe refuge and a good home. That is akin to being good samaritans and wasn't the good samaritan close to God in spirit?

Why don't you look at the number of cats killed on the road (especilaly main roads) every year? Do you actiually know the statistics near you. I suggest that you check. I have printed RSPCA national statistics on here.

I have a main road close by and one person has had 4 cats killed on it in the last 21 months. The penny has finally dropped and his latest cats are kept as indoor cats. Local rescues won't rehome on that road, and it  is not a particularly busy main road for most of the time but the ststistics are horrific. I know of, at least, 15 cats in the last 24 months and that doesn't include the ones run over whose dead bodiess have been seen to be taken away by foxes from ther adjacent park. No closure for those owners although some couldn't give a toss.

I would respectfully suggest that you do your homework about road deaths and listen to the more experienced cat rescuers around. I did  when I started and I have since, sadly, proved it to myself. If that means I play god to use your words, I happy to stand up and be counted.

There will always be exceptions but far too few of them to make it significant.

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
  • My first rescues Chas and Dave!!!
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2006, 23:07:13 PM »
Mum and dad live less than 100yds from a very busy road and the family cat is 16 and still going strong. It sounds silly but I think a lot of it is to do with the cat as well. Sooty just wasn't interested in going upto the road to explore. My cat archie only goes out to toilet and is straight back in - he's not interested either (we're further from a main road) Cats can be hit on roads where cars come down once every 6weeks - its a sad fact of life. People shouldn't always be judged on that alone - if they have adequate outside space for kitty to be safe in then maybe they should still be considered
Only The Educated Are Free

www.catactiontrust1977.co.uk

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2006, 22:48:49 PM »
I think you should name & shame - Although I agree with anything that has the animals best interests at heart,  nobody should play god. I got kylie though CP even though I lived on a busy road. I said she would be allowed in the back garden but not out the front. There was a sidewall onto the road which she managed to get over (once) she froze in fear and I let her in through the gate - she never did it again  :catluv:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Bex

• Adult Cat
  • Diesel & Harry
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2006, 22:05:38 PM »
My sister and brother-in-law desperately wanted a cat, but their local rescue (not mentioning any names), refused to even come and do a home check because they have a moderately busy road near them. They even said they were only interested in an indoor cat and willing to take one on with FIV or deafness, etc, any that needed to be indoor. The rescue wouldn't even talk to them.

They didn't get their cat from a breeder or paper or pet shop. They spoke to a more sympathetic rescue who found a cat that matched their needs and vice versa. And a gorgeous 14-year-old that no-one else was all that interested in is now living in the lap of luxury.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2006, 21:59:19 PM »
Hi Rosella,

Yes they were guests at the B&B

I don't think there are many people in the UK who aren't near a road  ;D

I plan on sending them an email anyway so I will suggest the RSPCA.

:thanks:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2006, 21:10:41 PM »
I assume Mark they were guests at your B&B not pals of yours?

If you were in touch with them and found they had been turned down and you are reasonably sure they would be good cat owners (now there's a list), I'd suggest they try the RSPCA rather than a breeder.

I live in Birmingham and although our road is quiet (on which Aslan died all the same in an RTA in September), I'm not sure anyone in Brum could say they don't live nearish to a busy road.  We've all hammered this out so many times before and there are different views..

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2006, 19:44:05 PM »
I don't think she is selfish at all. They have recently sold their house and are deciding what to do for a "Life Change". She has decided not to work any more and having a cat is part of their plan. They are 50 ish and seemed like nice people. The way they were with Willow was brilliant - she was acting like "mum". They have no children and perfectly respectable people.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2006, 19:16:38 PM »
just a bit about pet shops selling kittens - to do this they must register with the council and have a special license so if you have one that sells kittens check with the coucil that they are registered to do so and complain to the council if you are concerned over the conditions.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 18:54:40 PM »
Nope that was what confused me
love
Tab

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 17:23:21 PM »
The road in question is a housing estate loop road

Would that have been a bus route?

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 17:01:25 PM »
How do you define 'near' a busy road?  Is it a case of the house is on or backs directly onto a main road, or is there a certain radius from the house etc? 

To me that is a very good question a rescue recently turned down a friend of mine because they lived near a road. The road in question is a housing estate loop road which is only used by the residents not as a short cut and is a very quiet road. The same rescue 9 years ago turned me down as I wouldnt be letting the cat out. Now either they've changed their policies or they are in my opinion being a bit picky.

On the other hand I can totally understand why rehoming policies are in place and I wouldnt like to be reinforcing them myself as I think its something which will never be agreed on

love
Tab

Offline Beth (Mouse's Mum)

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 13:44:35 PM »
I don't think your friend is being selfish at all!

Maybe you could have let her know how to catproof her garden.

Sounds like she's already thought lots about getting this cat as now's she's waiting for a homecheck so she's not just acting on impulse!  Also maybe she thinks even though there is a road nearby (by the way you didn't say exactly how near so i wouldn't go as far as saying she's selfish) it's nicer for the cat to be outside and nicer than being sat in an RSPCA shelter or CP shelter.

We got our last 2 cats from a breeder, they didn't mind them being outdoor cats at all, and our garden is not catproofed.

I just think a few of the responses to this topic were a little harsh!  As you don't know what the situation is and to say that someone is selfish and should feel guilty if their babe gets killed, just because they are an outdoor cat is rediculous!  I certainly am not selfish, especially when it comes to my kitties!

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 19:25:50 PM »
This is a difficult one i agree.

I live in a clu-de-sac surrouned by woodland and fields and yet i have lost 3 to RTA's.

My Mum lives on a main road and has only lost one cat and he was reversed over in someone's drive !

On the other subject -
I know of 2 pet shops near to me that sell kittens. One of the shops has puppies aswell and they are kept in terrible conditions (well i think they are but the local council gives them a licence each year !!!) The kittens are always younger than the 8wks old they say they are, they are skinny little mites but this summer they were on sale for £150 each !!!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 19:21:55 PM »
awful message is that sending out to people who might fancy a try at breeding

There was a pet shop near here who actually bred kittens and puppies themselves, most were homed in a terrible condition, it was reported in the paper and we thought hooray, the next week the paper had to apologize, what a disgrace to have to apologize to someone who was doing exactly what the paper said, worse still was they they told people who were selling kittens on to them that Cats Protection did all home checks for the kittens
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 13:53:03 PM by Ela »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 18:55:16 PM »
That's the frustrating part. I completely understand the policy but it doesn't stop people getting cats/kittens. Whatever we say to them, they will still do what they want to do :brick:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 18:30:14 PM »
It's sad isn't it.  There's a pet shop near me with a big sign in the window saying "we buy kittens" Apart from anything else, what kind of :censored: awful message is that sending out to people who might fancy a try at breeding  :censored:

How do you define 'near' a busy road?  Is it a case of the house is on or backs directly onto a main road, or is there a certain radius from the house etc?  Safety for the cat has always been our first criteria when looking at a house  :evillaugh:

ccmacey

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 18:00:01 PM »
I cant actually believe you can buy a kitten from a pet shop. The only animals you can buy up my way are rabbits, birds and hamsters and other small furries.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 17:51:36 PM »
Yes def our local CP branch won't home to anyone near a busy road. I agree. It's so sad that the people can then just look in the paper and get cats & kittens from there with no questions asked.

Offline kris

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 17:40:04 PM »
Try mentioning the number of cats killed every year on roads even ones that are not at all busy then maybe she would consider an indoor cat, there are loads of FIV cats or older cats who would appreciate an indoor home.

Link to CatChat